Chapter Thirty-One

Stephanie's POV

I was leaned forward telling Caroline something when I saw Justin walk out on stage with a wide grin. I settled in my seat beside Kate and gave her a grin.

"Our next artist prides himself on being a what you see is what you get kind of guy. He's one of the most talented song writers I have ever gotten the chance to write with. His songs are chapters of his life. He is lucky and fortunate enough to have a great inspiration for many of his songs, which is his beautiful wife Stephanie. What a lot of people dont know is that she has been putting up with his crazy ass for over twenty years. Many may call him an outlaw, but I'm honored to call him my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, Brantley Gilbert," Justin said with a big smile as he turned and gave Brantley a thumbs up as he walked to the microphone on the other part of the stage.

My jaw dropped when I heard the opening guitar rift for "Smokin Gun". Oh, I was going to kill him. Ive had a lot of songs written about me but damn this one straight up defined the friends with benefits portion of our lives. Caroline turned her head with raised eyebrows as Luke snickered.

I also couldn't help the drool at him standing on that stage in a pair of dark jeans, grey t-shirt, my favorite leather jacket of his, and that damn black hat backwards. Oh, he was trying to suck up for this being the next single. He looked my direction to shoot me a wink as he started to sing. God, I loved his voice on this song.

It's 2 AM and that cell phone's ringin'

Yeah, sounds like you been sippin' on somethin'

It was in the way I heard you say, hey baby

Yeah, you 'bout as subtle as a freight train comin'

And I know what's next

You'll be knockin' on my door

Standin' there in that dress

What are you waitin' for

Pull the trigger on a point blank kiss

This close you better never miss

Heart beatin' like a bullet into my chest

Bitin' my lip and wreckin' my bed

But Cinderella never sees the sun

You'll be gone before mornin' comes

Like to love, but you love to run

You're too hot to hold

Baby, you're a smokin' gun

Kate elbowed me in my side as I started to turn a little red. I elbowed her back and shook my head. I could feel the camera on me as I softly smiled while pictures of us played on the screen behind him. They had included a really good one of us staring each other down, pistols pointed at the target from our gender reveal party.

One of us from the CMT awards a few years ago appeared after it. We were on the dance floor wrapped around each other staring deep in to each others eyes. Neither of us had known the picture had been taken. Lauren had sent it to me the next day. I guess B had gotten it off my phone. I would have never dreamed then, we would be where we are now. I felt a hand on my shoulder and Lauren gave me a grin as she leaned over to whisper in my ear.

"Wreckin his bed huh?" she said with a snicker. I gave her a wide grin.

"Any chance I got," I whispered back with a wink. I turned back around in my chair as Brantley was singing the chorus for the second time. I watched in shock as he eased off the stage and walked down the steps towards our seats. Oh no, I thought, I know he isn't. He eased down to one knee by my chair with a huge grin. I could see Luke out of the corner of my eye lifting his phone up. Argghh, I knew his goofy tail was recording this.