date night

date night – chapter seventy eight

scott

A soon as I got house I found my mom at the kitchen.

"Hey, sorry I'm back so late. I was closing up the Animal Clinic. I got more hours to earn a little extra..."

She moved to the side and I saw the bag of money that I hid under my bed.

"...money."

"How much more did you need?"

"This is payment from the dead pool," I said, walking towards her. "I found it in Garrett's locker."

She nodded. "This belongs to Derek? So you're just, uh, keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed?"

I looked at her, not saying anything.

"How long have you had it?"

Í sighed. "Too long."

"You know you have to give it back?"

"I was going to." I said.

"Do I want to know why you haven't?" She asked.

I looked down at the money and at my own hands. "Because of you."

"Me?" She asked but I kept quiet, so she realized. "You mean because we've been struggling a little?"

"Mom, we're struggling a lot."

"Oh..." She sighed. "Scot... You can save people's lives, but you cannot save them from life. Life is full of struggles."

"But it doesn't have to be

"But it doesn't have to be." I said, placing my helmet at the desk.

"Honey...."

"Do you know what just one of these can do?" I pointed to a bit of money. "Uh... This gets us a new roof. And this pays for Stiles' MRI. This pays for Eichen House. And this one means you don't have to work the double shift at the hospital and come home totally exhausted."

She grabbed one. "What about this one?"

I held it and I saw that it was covered in dry blood. I looked up at her, nodding.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

cassie

"Cassie? Look!" Malia giggled, holding her test. "Did you hear me? Look. I passed."