book

book – chapter eighty five

cassie

"Chimeras." My Dad read looking at the pictures on his board.

"Two dead Chimeras." I said.

"And eight new ones." Malia said.

"So that's 10 in all." Stiles said, crossing his arms.

"I'm thinking maybe 11." Dad said, placing another picture at the board.

Stiles looked down when our father placed Donovan's picture on the board, which made me frown.

"Our station tech guy confirmed something for me. They said both the holding cell lock and the cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic." Dad said, looking at us.

He's talking about the night where Tracy attacked us at the station, Donovan was locked up but he disappeared that night.

"You said that, uh, these guys..."

"Dread Doctors." Malia said.

"Are we really calling them that?" My Dad shrugged.

"So they broke Donovan out?" Malia asked him.

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" Dad asked us.

Malia nodded. "Donovan's a Chimera."

Stiles was still looking down at his feet so I squeezed his shoulder, making him look at me and I smiled at him. I know something's wrong but I'll let him talk when he's ready.

"Yeah. But is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?" Dad asked.

"If he is, he's probably dead." Malia said.

"Not until we've seen a body." I told her.

"You're uncharacteristically quiet." Dad said and Stiles turned around to look at him.

"Sorry, I'm, uh... I'm just trying to think about it. Uh... These are all teenagers, right? So, now, I mean, shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers?" Stiles mumbled. "If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that, burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail..."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random." I said, agreeing with him. "They had to have something in common."

"Something that made them right for this experiment." Dad nodded.

"Something that made them special." Stiles said.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

We all looked down at the copies of the book on the table. We were going to read it all, just like Valack told us to.

"My mom's book club usually has more wine." Lydia commented.

"Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles said.

Yeah, last night, Malia was with Theo, he was helping her to drive and well, she's the only one who read the book and she almost got hit by a car because she started hallucinating.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott said and she smiled at him.

"So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira asked.

Scott nodded. "Or worse."

"Like what happened to Judy." Malia said and we looked at her. "Chapter 14."

"Maybe I should have my mother read it." Lydia said, grabbing the book. "She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone."