Chapter 24

I was jumping across rocks by the water, Sam was brushing his teeth, I heard the impala door open. I turned around and saw Dean fall out of the car,
Sam said" Hey. How'd you sleep?"
Dean said" How do you think? I'm starving. Let's get breakfast."
" Where? We're like two hours from anything."
" But I'm hungry now."
" There's probably still a sandwich in the backseat." Dean checked the backseat, he doesn't like tuna.
" It's tuna." Then I heard a cellphone ring,
" Isn't that dad's phone?" I jumped back to the dirt and ran over to them, tilting my head.
" Hello? He can't come to the phone. Can I help you? Well, sorry to be the one to break this to you, pal, but John died more than two years ago. Who is this?"
———
We got to a diner,
Sam said" Dean, look, best I can tell, Adam Milligan is real. Um, born September 29, 1990, to Kate Milligan. No father listed on the birth certificate. He's an Eagle Scout, Graduated from High school with honors, and currently goes to the University of Wisconsin. Biology major, pre-med. Dean? You listening?"
Dean said" This is a trap. Hazel, stay in the car." I looked at Sam as Dean walked away,
I said" I'm not staying in this stupid car!"
Sam said" You don't have to, come on." He held out his hand, I grabbed his hand and followed him into the diner.
Dean pulled another chair next to him,
Sam said" Dean, I'm telling you, the kid checks out."
Dean said" Great, so he's an actual person on the planet earth. Sucks he's got a demon in him." Then the waitress came up, I drew shapes on Sam's arm, not paying attention, I stick with Sam more since Dean scared me. Sam moved me which caused me to snap out of thought,
" And what if he's not possessed?"
" Then he is a shapeshifter."
" Hence the silver."
" Look, either way, this thing is gonna bleed. I mean, using dad as bait? That's the last mistake of its short, pitiful life. What? What?"
" Dean..." So... we found an entry in Dad's journal, he's not gonna like it, Sam let me off of his knee and I sat on the other chair next to Dean." Listen, there's an entry in Dad's journal from January of 1990. Saying he's headed to Minnesota to check out a case. That's, roughly, oh, about nine months before the kid was born."
" Coincidence."
" Coincidence? Next two pages of the journal, torn out."
" You're not actually buying this, are you?"
" Look, man, I don't want to believe it, either. I'm just saying it's possible. I mean, dad would be gone for weeks at a time, and he wasn't exactly a monk. I mean, a hunter rolls into town, uh, kills a monster, saves the girl... sometimes the girl's grateful."
" Well, now I'm thinking about dad sex. Stop talking." Sam motioned for me to cover my ears, I covered my ears and hummed. Then I saw someone come in, I blinked a few timed then looked at Sam and Dean. I put my hands down,
" Adam?" The guy turned to us and walked towards us,
Adam said" You Sam?"
" Yeah. Uh, this is Dean and Hazel."
" Hey. So, um... how'd you know my dad?" We didn't tell him the truth, not till we know he's not a monster at least.
" Uh, we worked together."
" How did he die?"
" On the job."
" He was a mechanic, right?"
Dean said" A car fell on him." I went back to Sam and scooted onto his knee.
I saw Adam take a sip of the water, Dean, being Dean, switched the water with holy water.
Sam said" So, uh... when's the last time you.. you saw John?"
Adam said" I don't even know. It's... a couple years."
" Why'd you decide to call him now?"
" I didn't know who else to call? He's the only family I got. My mom's missing."
" Really? I'm sorry. Uh, for how long?"
Dean said" It's tragic. Really. But if you're John's kid, how come we've never heard of you?"
" 'Cause John and me didn't really know each other. Not until a few years ago, anyway."
Sam said" What do you mean?"
" My mom never talked about him. I knew some stuff.
Dean said" What kind of stuff?"
" My mom's a nurse, and dad came into the ER pretty torn up, hunting accident or something. And I knew his name, John Winchester. That's about it. We're not exactly a nuclear family."
Sam said" Yeah, well, who is these days?"
Dean said" So, when did you, uh, when did you finally meet him?"
" When I was 12. My mom had one of his old numbers, and... and after I begged her, god, 24/7. She finally called him. God, when John heard he had a son, he raced to town. I mean, he dropped everything. He drove all night."
" Well, that's heartwarming."
" You mind?"
" No, please, dig in."
" He would swing by once a year or so, you know, called when he could. But still... he taught me poker and pool and even bought me my first beer when I was 15. And, uh... he showed me how to drive. Dad.. he had this beautiful '67 impala." And... Dean's breaking point.
" Oh, this is crap. You know what... you're lying."
" No, I'm not."
" Uh, yeah, you are."
" I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to call me a liar?"
" We're John Winchester's sons, that's who. We are his sons."
" I've got brothers?"
" No, you don't have brothers. Look, man, I don't know if you're a hunter or what kind of game you're playing here."
" I have never been hunting in my life."
" Whatever. I'm out of here. Come on, Sam." Sam didn't move, so I didn't.
" I can prove it."