Chapter 38

I woke up as I heard the impala's engine, I groaned and sat up.
Dean said" Mornin', sunshine." He ruffled my hair, I looked at him with a glare,
I mumbled" I will drive the impala into a freakin lake with you in and the doors and windows sealed!"
" Ooh, grumpy much?" I groaned and flopped back down, ignoring his stupid comments.

Dean was getting lunch,
I heard him say" Who died and made you boss?" He got in and looked at me,
I said" I say he died and made himself boss."
" You don't even know who I'm talking about."
" I'mma say Sam, since you have that slightly annoyed look but amused as well."
" You're weird."
" I know." I gave him a crooked smile and he looked at the road.
————
Dean was on the phone to Ben, we pulled up to Sam, and got out, I just wanted to hear the rest of the conversation.
Dean said" Ben, I know you're lying. Because I lie professionally, that's how. Now, tell your mom that your broke the damn thing and take it like a man. Okay? Okay, okay." I got back into the impala and waited until they were distracted, I called Ben,
I whispered" Told ya so. I know him too well, now go tell your mom before I tell her myself."
Ben said" I'm older than you, you know that."
" Well, I know a lot more than you, so I suggest you go tell your mom before Dean or I do."
" Okay, fine. See ya."
" See ya." I hung up and watched Sam and Dean go into the morgue.

Once Dean came out, I saw that glint in his eyes, uh-oh, what's he about to do? And what did Sam say to cause it. I said" So, any lead?"
Dean said" No, one guy was all slush, and the other bubblewrap."
" Oh, gross, come on, Dean!"
" What? You asked."
" Whatever." We started driving to the witness' house,
Dean swerved in front of Sam and parked, I laughed as they both got out, then I rolled down the window.
Sam said" Were you, uh... Heh, were you racing me?"
Dean said" No. I was kicking your ass."
" Very mature." I knew Dean done that childish smile, once they came out, Dean quickly filled me in. Which wasn't that much to go on and nothing connected yet.
———
We were researching,
Dean said" Sweet. Blood, boils, locusts."
Sam said" Three of your more popular Egyptian plagues."
" Yeah, but these guys ate their way out of a cop's melon." They also got the locusts," I don't quite remember that in the King James."
" Meanwhile, a kid named Christopher Birch... was shot in the head last month after a vehicle pursuit. Hatch, Gray, and Colfax were the officers involved... and they all filed the exact same police report."
" Suspect existed vehicle brandishing a firearm. We were forced to fire. Just a kid with no face and a planted gun. Bunch of dicks. So they popped the kid, planted the piece."
" Maybe Colfax was right. Maybe heaven has a hate on for bad cops."
" So we're listening to the guy with the bug in his custard? That's the, uh, theory you wanna go with?"
" Dean, angels gotta have something to do, right? Now that we're post-apocalypse."
" Maybe. You should call Cas."
" You're kidding, right? Dean, I tried. It was the first, and second and third thing I did... soon as I got topside. Son of a bitch won't answer the phone."
" Well, let's give it a shot. Now I lay me down to sleep... I pray to Castiel to get his feathery ass down here."
" You're an idiot."
" Stay positive."
" Oh, I am positive."
I said" Dean, let me try." Dean nodded his head," Cas, come on, don't be a dick. We need help and if you don't get your butt down here, I'm gonna come up there and beat your ass." Dean shook his head, I groaned then huffed.
Dean said" Come on, Cass, don't be a dick. Got ourselves a plague like situation down here and... do you- do you copy?"
Sam said" Like I said, ahem, the son of a bitch doesn't answer." We heard the wings and saw Cas," He's right behind me, isn't he?"
Cas said" Hello."
" Hello?"
" Yes."
" Hello. Hello?"
" Uh, that is still the term?"
" I spend all that time trying to get through to you. Dean calls once, Hazel threatens and now it's hello?"
" Yes."
" So, what, you like him better or something? We're all scared of Hazel."
" Dean and I do share a more profound bond. I wasn't going to mention it." I fell off the bed, and looked at him,
Dean said" Cas, I think what he's trying to say is that he went to hell for us. He really took one for the team, remember that? And then he comes back without a clue... you can't take five freakin' minutes to give him some answers?"
" If I had any answers, I might have responded, but I don't know, Sam. We have no idea who brought you back from the cage or why."
Sam said" So it wasn't god?"
" No one's even seen god. The whole thing remains mysterious."
" What does that mean?"
" What part of I don't know, escapes your understanding?" I stood up,
Dean said" Cas, look, if Sam calls, you answer. Okay? You wing your ass down here and you tell him, I don't know. Just because we have some sort a of bond or whatever."
" You think I came because you called. I came because of this." He pointed to the research,
I said" And because I scare you, you idiot, I can read minds too." Cas nodded, Dean looked at me and shrugged.
Dean said" Well, it's nice to know what matters."
Cas said" It does help one to focus."
Sam said" Wait, so you and the Halo Patrol aren't the cause of these killings?"
" No. But they were committed with one of our weapons. There's only one thing that could have brought this into existence. You call it the staff of Moses."
" The staff?"
" It was used in a dominance display against the Egyptians, As I recall."
Dean said" Yeah, that one made the papers."
Sam said" Well, I thought the staff turned, like, a river into blood, not one dude."
Cas said" The weapon isn't being used at full capacity. I think we can rule Moses out as a suspect."
Dean said" Okay, well, what is Chuck Heston's disco stick doing down here anyway? I mean, don't you guys put away your toys?"
" Before the apocalypse, heaven may have been corrupt... but it was stable. The staff was safely contained. It's been chaos up there since the war ended. In that confusion, a number of powerful weapons were stolen."
" Wait, you're saying your nukes are loose?"
" Yeah, I'm afraid so. But you've stumbled onto one of them. We must find the weapon that did this. I need your help."
Sam said" That's rich, really." Cas threw the jar of locusts at Sam and Sam caught it.
" Sam, Dean, Hazel, my 'people skills' are 'rusty'. Pardon me, I have spent the last 'year' as a multidimensional wavelength of celestial intent. But believe me, you do not want that weapon down here. Help me find it, or more people will die."
Dean said" Alright, okay. Well, if the angels didn't pull the trigger, then that brings us back to motive."
" What?"
Sam said" Back to the case. And now we got three dead cops. Only thing linking them is this. Father of slain suspect calls for investigation."
——
They flashed in with a kid, Cas put him on the bed, I stood next to my brothers.
Dean said" Cas, you realize you just kidnapped a kid."
Cas said" If the angel we seek truly bought this boy's soul, when a claim is laid on a living soul, it leaves a mark, a brand."
Sam said" What, like a shirt tag at camp?"
" I have no idea. But I can read the mark... and find the name of the angel that bought the soul."
Dean said" How?"
" Well, painfully, for him. The reading will be excruciating."
" Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on."
" Dean."
" He's a kid, Cas, a ki- Sam."
Sam said" Any permanent damage?"
" What?"
Cas said" Physically, minimal."
" Oh, well yeah, then by all means, stick you arm right in there."
" Dean, if I get the name I can work a ritual to track the angel down."
" I'm all for that, but come on. There's gotta be another way."
" There is no other way."
" You're gonna torture a kid."
" I can't care about that, Dean. I don't have the luxury." Cas stuck his hand into the kid's chest, I flinched as the kid started whining and screaming in pain. Once Cas was done," He'll rest now."
Sam said" Did you get a name? What is it?"
" I thought he died in the war."
" What, he was a friend or something?"
" A good friend."
Dean said" Yeah, well. Your frat buddy is now moonlighting as a crossroads demon."
" Balthazar, I wonder."
Sam said" So we can find him now, right?"
Then a man said" Balthazar. Thanks, Castiel, we'll make good use of the name." Then they started fighting, Sam, Dean and I moved back," And by the way, Raphael says hello." Then they continued to fight till they both went out the window and Sam and Dean ran to the window. I followed, and saw Cas getting up, off of Sam's now destroyed car.
Sam said" My car."
Dean said" Okay. Silver lining." Dean smiled a bit before Sam looked back at him. We turned around and Cas was there,
Cas said" He's gone."
Sam said" Alright, Cas, who was that guy?"
" A soldier of Raphael. He must have followed me when I answered your call."
" Raphael? The archangel? I'm sorry, what's going on here?"
" I can explain later. Right now, we have to-"
Dean said" No, not later, now. Stop, alright? There's too many angels, Cas. I don't know who's on first, what's on second-"
" What is second?"
" Don't start that."
" It is simple, Raphael and his followers... they want him to rule heaven. I and many others, the last thing we want is to let him take over. It would be catastrophic."
Sam said" You're talking civil war."
" Technically, yes. Which is why we have to find Balthazar and his weapons before Raphael does. Whoever has the weapons wins the war."
" Help yourself."
Dean said" What happens if Raphael wins? I mean, what does he want?"
Cas said" What he always wanted, to end the story the way it was written."
" You mean the apocalypse, the one we derailed?"
" Yes, that one." Raphael wants to put it back on the rails."
" Why?"
" I need Myrrh."
Sam said" Myrrh?" Then he was gone again,
Dean said" Frigging angels." We turned around and Cas was back, working on the ritual," Why does Raphael wanna bring back all this crap?"
Cas said" He's a traditionalist."
" Why didn't you tell us this?"
" I was ashamed. I expected more from my brothers. I'm sorry. Now I need your blood."
" Whoa, whoa, hey. Agh!" He cut Dean's hand, " Why don't you use your own?"
" Wouldn't work, I'm not human."
" Ugh." We heard sirens wailing, uh-oh,
Sam said" Uh, Cas, how long does this spell take?"
Cas said" Got him, let's go."
Dean said" Whoa, whoa, wait, what about him?"
" Don't you think the police will take him home?" Sam and Dean made me go off to a safe place since they didn't want me around any other angels since of my background. I went to the meadow and sat under the willow, I waited till I knew it was safe to go back to my brothers.
I went back to the impala because I was tired, and I wanted to sleep. I closed my eyes and fell asleep, instantly.