Chapter 3.5 - Thomas's Perspective (Edited)

Thomas's POV: Bonus Chapter!

Damn.

What is it about whiskey from a bar that tastes so much better?

I let the amber liquid quench these feelings in my stomach. I ran out at home and this was the closest place in walking distance.

Is this my fourth glass now or fifth? I forget. Either way, I welcome it with open arms.

I stare down at my glass as I slosh it back and forth. Am I drinking because she's not home tonight? Or am I drinking because I realize just how sad my life is?

Thirty-One, never married and living in a new town all by myself. When I took this job I figured it would be the ultimate step towards building a life I could be proud of.

So far all I've managed to do is develop an unhealthy addiction to someone online who could be a forty-year-old man for all I know and manage to convince every damn student at this school to try to sleep with me.

It's exhausting, and ironically the only one that could even stand a chance if they tried doesn't seem to be the least bit interested in -

"You know I think it was Ralph Waldo Emerson who said "as a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey,"

My head shoots up from where I'd been staring, to instantly come face to face with the most intense green stare I've ever seen

"Sophia."

Her name almost hurts to say and I'm left speechless. This is why she's the only student in this privileged town I'd even consider...

What are you thinking, Thomas? Get your shit together, she's off limits for a thousand and one reasons and you're drunk.

Not a good combination.

As if her looks weren't already deadly enough, she also shares my passions.

I realize after silently berating myself I need to think of something to say in return but it's so hard to think properly when she's looking at me like that. Her presence is so familiar somehow.

"Yes, well normally I'd love to throw myself into my work, but since it hasn't quite begun yet whiskey will have to do." I finish with a grin.

At my words, I watch as Sophia relaxes slightly and starts to smile. Is this friendly banter or is she trying to pick me up? She's so unbelievably smart and beautiful I don't know why in hell she would ever even try.

"I assume you've got the curriculum all planned for next semester then? I'm looking forward to it, Professor." She says and I feel my jaw lock. Professor. The sound of her saying it is almost erotic, the way it rolled slowly off of her tongue.

"So you'll be taking one of my classes again this semester? I'm very..." My eyes travel down and instantly I'm punished by an unfair sight.

Whoever sold her this damn dress can go to hell. It's like a second layer of skin that hugs her feminine body at every nook and cranny. She's much taller than usual and I notice that's thanks to a pair of strappy heels that criss-cross around her ankles.

I realize a moment too late that I've been eyeing her like she's my last meal and I feel like I've just been caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

"Pleased to hear that." I finish, my words mimicking my feelings.

Pleased.

I try to keep my gaze tamed on her eyes but even as I do I can feel an animalistic hunger building in my stomach. How long has it been since I've been with a woman? I don't even want to think about that.