A Big Surprise and Moving Forward

One Month Later.

"I can't look at it, Sophia! You look." Fiona begs me as she shoves the little white stick in my face.

I'm nervous too as I take it from her, my whole body tingling with anticipation.

"I'm scared too!" I cry out, not able to check if there's one line or two.

"I'm more scared, now look dammit!" She yells with blood shot eyes.

"Okay okay!" I say defensively as I bring Fiona's gross pee stick in a sandwich baggie into my line of sight.

Two little pink lines stare me in the face and my jaw instantly drops.

"Holy crap, Fiona! You're pregnant!" I almost scream, and drop the pregnancy test on the ground like its made of hot lava.

"Are you fucking serious?!" Fiona matches my pitch and scrambles to pick the test up off of the ground.

"Holy fuck I'm going to be a mom? I don't know how to be a mom! My pet fish died after three days, Sophia help me oh my fuck!" Fiona has a panic attack on my bathroom floor, and I instantly kneel down and wrap my arms around her.

"This is great news Fiona! You'll be a great mom, and I'll be here to help you through everything! We graduate next semester and Isaac loves you. This is awesome!" I cheer happily for Fiona's sake, but deep inside I feel a twinge of subtle jealousy.

Every morning I walk into Professor Crane's classroom. Every morning our eyes lock in agony and I have to pretend I'm okay. Every morning I see him almost break down and cry, and every morning I wipe away tears on the sleeve of my over sized sweater.

"You really think so?" Fiona asks me, the occasional tear streaming down her face and messing up her make up.

"I know so, Fi. This baby is going to have the best life ever."

Fiona scoffs and stands back on her feet, wiping her eyes delicately with her porcelains fingers.

"It's probably going to have issues because two weekends ago we got shit faced and binged project runway."

"We will make you an appointment to make sure everything is all good, but I'm pretty sure it's okay. What you really need to focus on is how your going to tell Isaac." As soon as I say those words there's a knock on my door and then the sound of it opening.

"Hey it's me, I'm back with the Chinese food." Isaac says as the sound of crinkling bags fill my stagnant apartment.

Fiona's face goes even more pale than usual and her eyes look up at me frantically.

"Uh, we'll be there in a sec." I call out to Isaac, my use of the word sec indicating that I've been spending way too much time with Gabbie.

It's been hard to mend my broken heart when my two best friends are always making out, so instead I've latched onto Gabbie for emotional support.

"You want to just tell him right now?" I ask Fiona who looks frantic.

"What? No! Maybe? I don't know Sophia! What do I do?" Fiona looks like she's about to fall apart, so I grab her shoulders to steady her.

"Just follow my lead, okay?" I say in a comforting manner. Fiona nods and I grab her hand, pulling her into the living room where Isaac is waiting.

"There's my two favorite ladies. Fiona are you okay?" Isaac asks as he notices how red and puffy his girlfriends eyes are.

"Uhm, no, actually she's sick." I say as I improvise.

"Sick? Do you need me to run and get something? Medicine? Something easier to digest than Chinese food?" Isaacs helpfulness kicks in almost instantly and he's on his feet comforting Fiona. It's so cute I could die.