New Years and Old Truth

New Year's Eve...

"Do this shot!" Gabbie squeals as she hands me a tiny shot glass full of clear alcohol.

It's eleven fifteen on New Year's Eve and this bar is absolutely packed.

"Are you trying to kill me?" I ask as I laugh, taking the glass and downing its burning contents.

I make a derp face as the taste resonates in my mouth.

"Damn, that's foul!" I complain, but Gabbie just throws her hands in the air and screams.

"We're celebrating, baby! It's New Years eve and tomorrow you and I are on a plane to visit my daddy! You're getting published bitch, now get fucked up with me!" Gabbie gives her speech like a pro and I join in.

"Fuck yeah!" I yell and we laugh in unison.

As soon as I finished 'The Dead Dame' I sent it to Gabbie who absolutely fell in love with it. She sent my work to her dad and not even two days later I got a call asking me if I'd like to be represented by his publishing house.

I literally almost died.

My last semester of college ended two weeks ago, and now my real life can begin.

At least, as real as it can be. I still wear the ring of an ex boyfriend on my wedding finger everywhere I go. I know it's insane, and Fiona has begged he a million times to take it off, but she's incredibly pregnant, and I can run faster than her.

"I can't believe you've never taken me to this bar before, it's fucking awesome!" Gabbie screams in my ear.

"That's because the girl my ex cheated on me with works here!" I yell back at her over the noise surrounding us.

"Are you serious? Is she here right now?" Gabbie asks and her head whips towards the bar.

"I don't know, and I don't want to know." I say with a shrug, trying to just enjoy my night.

"Don't you wanna confront her? I bet you haven't. I bet you were a little bitch about it. Admit it!" Gabbie says accusingly at me, her shot of vodka going straight to her head.

I roll my eyes and sigh awkwardly.

"There was nothing to confront." I insist, but Gabbie puffs up like a puffer fish.

"That hoe steals your man and you didn't even punch her in the face? You let her win. SMH Sophia. I thought you were a bad bitch, but now I see your just a sweater loving nerd with no back bone, and a wimpy vagina." Gabbie's sass makes my jaw fall to the floor.

Wimpy vagina?!

It's really easy to see why Gabbie and Fiona get along so well.

"I was being the bigger person!" I defend.

"Fuck that. Go find this hoe and give her a piece of that sexy brain of yours!" Gabbie argues back.

I don't know if it's just the little bit of liquor I've had talking, or if Gabbie should have been a political major but I'm feeling really convinced right now.

"You know what? You're right. If she's here I'm telling her off English Major style."

"English GRADUATE style!" Gabbie corrects me with a high five.

I start to maneuver through the crowd of sweaty bodies until I finally make the to the bar, Gabbie hot on my heels.

I look around at the many bartenders until one with long black hair and tan skin catches my eye.

"That's her." I say as I point to Clara, my stomach churning just from looking at her.

"Oh my goodness, Sophia, don't freak out but she looks just like the girl in your book." Gabbie whispers in my ear and I roll my eyes. I desperately want to face palm, but I decide not to.