Frienships and Folly

"I've got the popcorn, Isaac did you grab the drinks?" I call from the kitchen as I pour two heaping bags of popcorn into an over sized bowl.

"Yup, were all set." He replies, and I walk into my living room to see my friends all sprawled out on my furniture. Fiona and Clara are huddled on my couch with a bunch of blankets like a moat around them.

Isaac is sitting on my love seat with his legs crossed and a pillow over his lap.

"Where am I supposed to sit?" I ask as I set the popcorn down on the coffee table. Fiona and Clara scoot down and adjust their blankets just enough for me to squeeze in next to Clara.

I sit down and they throw some of their warm moat on to my lap, and I can already tell I'll probably fall asleep before this movie is even half way over.

"Hit play, Zac!" Fiona tells Isaac who leans up and grabs the remote off of the coffee table. The movie starts up and we all settle in.

It's crazy to me that sitting in this room are four friends instead of two. It's just been Fiona and I for so long but it seems like just over night our numbers have doubled. Isaac has taken to us so easily. He's smart enough to talk to me about in depth literary concepts but witty enough to keep up with Fiona's sarcastic quips.

He even gets along with Clara though it seems that they don't have a whole lot in common. In fact I just don't think Clara gets along with straight men very much at all. Maybe she's had some past bad experiences. It's none of my business either way.

It takes all of twenty minutes before I hear the subtle snoring of Isaac as his head hangs back on my love seat. Fiona's head has started bobbing and Clara looks like she won't last much longer either.

We're a bunch of twenty something year olds and it's Friday night yet we're about to fall asleep at nine-thirty? I think not!

I lean up and clap my hands loudly.

"Wake the hell up losers!" I shout and everyone starts to come alive. "We're not going down like this! Grab your jackets, we're going dancing!" I add as I hop to my feet. Fiona stretches and Isaac rubs some drool off of his mouth.

"I can't dance," he admits through a groggy version of his voice. "Doesn't matter, you're going with three girls. You don't really need to know how," I argue. He stands up and starts slipping on his shoes "fine but if any dudes hit on me because they think I'm your gay bff it's on you."

Fiona and Clara laugh as they too start to stand up. "Don't knock it till you try it," Clara says with a wink.

"Who are you and what have you done to my best friend?" Fiona asks at my sudden extroverted willingness.

"Blame it on my fantastic sex life!" I joke, making everyone fake gag at my expense.

I offer them my middle finger in response. Having friends is really fun.

We all make ourselves decent and pile into Fiona's car. I send Thomas a text to inform him of the change of plans, not because I have to of course, but because I want to.

Sophia -
Were headed off to The GoodNight for some drinks and dancing. I wish we could be seen together.

Thomas -
Me too, darling, but I actually live near there. Have Fiona drop you off after?

Sophia -
That sounds like an amazing idea, I'll see you in a few hours baby xo

Thomas -
I can't wait. The thought of other men trying to dance with you is making me really want to ... claim what's mine.