Meetings and Memories

Not long enough after Thomas destroyed my senses, were stepping out of a taxi and standing in front of Rathbone and Lax, a very beautiful building with what appears to be one thousand windows.

"This is it." Gabbie's says with a soft smile, her blue eyes squinting in the sunlight as she stares up at the enormous building before us.

We walk inside where a perky receptionist is waiting for us.

"Hello, how may I help you - oh! Gabrielle, it's wonderful to see you again." The receptionist smiles at Gabbie who looks disgusted as she stares at the curvy brunette.

"Hello, Donna." She says curtly. "This is my father's three o'clock, Sophia Dawson."

I wave and smile at the receptionist and she returns my pleasantries.

"Oh of course, Mr. Rathbone is ready for you in his office."

Thomas and I say goodbye to the nice receptionist, but Gabbie just blows her off.

"What was that back there?" I ask her once we're a safe distance away.

"My parents are divorced, and that receptionist is partially why." Gabbie replies with a bleak expression.

"Oh, Gabbie! I'm so sorry. Why is she still working here if she slept with your father?"

Gabbie laughs at my question and it causes me to stare in at her in confusion.

"You misunderstand, Soph. She fucked my mom."

My shock is illuminated all over my face and Thomas snorts a laugh that he tries to immediately cover up.

"That's even more of a reason to fire her!" I yelp, my mouth hanging open and my eyes blinking rapidly as I try to absorb this information.

"You'd think right?" Gabbie sighs. "But, nope. He keeps her around I think so that he can keep tabs on where my mother is at. If she's doing okay, ya know?"

"No, I don't know." I honestly reply.

Gabbie sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"My Mom went crazy and started getting a bunch of tattoos and hanging out with bikers a lot. She started screwing around, including Donna, and so my parents rightfully split up. This is a very short summary by the way, but she keeps in contact with Donna, so my dad keeps Donna around. He still loves my mom for some reason."

I feel like there's a very interesting story here, but we just don't have time to get through it all before the elevator doors slide open to reveal a beautiful hallway.

"This door is his," Gabbie says as she points to her father's name plate.

I suddenly feel my stomach in my throat. I have no idea what I'm doing. Sure, I googled this until my fingers wanted to bleed and I brought everything that Rathbone told me to, but I still feel so unprepared.

Gabbie walks up to the marked door and knocks twice on the deep cherry wood. A male voice can be heard booming from inside "come in!" It sounds and Gabbie turns the door knob, revealing an extravagantly decorated office space fit with bookshelves, and a desk chair so comfortable looking its a wonder how Mr. Rathbone doesn't just fall asleep all day.

"Princess." He says as he crosses the room to greet Gabbie. He places a chaste kiss to her temple then turns to me.

"And you must be Sophia," He says with electric grey eyes, holding his hand out for me to happily shake. His hand goes to Thomas next and the two men exchange names and pleasantries.

"Gabbie, be a dear and run across the street to that little cafe and get me a scone and a blonde roast coffee?" Mr. Rathbone asks his daughter who immediately agrees.