Contractions and Hope

"Let me grab my shoes." Is all Thomas responds with as he disappears into his apartment, leaving Gabbie and I waiting for him at his door.

"How do you know where the hottest professor ever lives?" She asks me ignorantly before her mouth falls to her feet and she whisper yells "oh my god! Professor Crane is your ex?!"

I bite my lip and nudge her in the ribs "Yes, now be quiet would you." I scold Gabbie who presses her lips firmly shut and tries not to smile.

I'm never going to hear the end of this.

"Okay I'm parked out front, let's go." Thomas says as he runs out with his shoes on. He's also holding a familiar pink zip up hoodie in his hands that he hands to me before locking up his front door.

"Put this on before you catch your death of a cold." He insists, and I feel warmth spread through my chest. I hold the familiar fabric up to my nose, and almost groan when I smell his scent instead of my usual perfume.

I had lost my jacket when I was kicked out of the bar, but that was obviously the furthest thing from my mind at the time.

"Have you forgotten, Thomas? I love the cold." I say reminiscently as we all make our way for the black Chrysler sitting in the parking lot. I pull the hoodie over my shoulders as I relish in the warmth and the smell from it.

Thomas looks over at me with lost eyes, his memories taking him to a place that Gabbie nor I can see.

A place from months ago.

"Seatbelts everyone." Thomas says once we're all inside the car. Gabbie is in the back seat and I'm riding shot gun.

Thomas speeds out of the parking lot and towards the hospital, his hands expertly shifting through the gears of his car as he weaves through the New Years traffic. The way he grips the steering wheel is so sexy, and it send me reeling through my own memories.

The ones of him naked as he pleasures me.

"Why is it I always find you barefoot, Sophia?" Thomas asks me, a familiar smile pulling at his lips that isn't lost on me. His question pulls me out of my perverted thoughts and I sigh.

"It's been.... a long night." I offer in response. The clock is winding down closer to midnight as we speed through the cold winter streets.

"Long? It's been short for me! So much has happened! This is the best night of my life!" Gabbie coos from the back seat and I shoot daggers at her.

She gives me two thumbs up as our eyes lock and I can't help but giggle at her attitude. I probably should have explained what was happening before we got to Thomas's apartment, but it's too late now.

"We were at a bar down the street when we got the call from Isaac." Gabbie explains more properly.

"We took a cab to get there and we've both technically been drinking so driving wasn't an option at all. Sophia made us run to your place, Dr. Crane, which honestly is just fascinating to me, and I can't wait to hear the details later."

"Gabbie!" I yell and she shuts up, looking awkwardly out the window.

Thomas looks over at me with curious eyes, his blue stare lingering on my tight dress and exposed cleavage.

I hide my left hand away so that he can't see, the embarrassment alone would kill me.

"Was it just the two of you?" Thomas asks, his voice deepening as he fishes for answers. I know exactly what he's asking and it makes my chest ache.