Love and Loss

*Listen to the song if you want to cry*

Thomas's POV:

It's such a quiet Saturday night.

After trying to shake off that pack of ravenous girls yesterday I figured a restful night in could do me a lot of good.

"Come on Professor no one has to know"

"Please, Dr. Crane, we have so much in common"

The memories make me want to drink.

How can young girls be so vulgar now-a-days?

I pour myself a single glass of whiskey and sit down.

I'm not an alcoholic, I just love my drink. Then again, maybe I am an alcoholic because they never admit it.

I haven't talked to Lane in twenty four hours, and usually that wouldn't matter, but lately we've hardly gone five minutes without talking in some form or another.

I'm hopelessly addicted to talking to her.

This flirtatious communication makes me feel like I'm a younger man. It gives me that new love kind of butterfly feeling that typically dissipates once you turn thirty. That's how Lane makes me feel. Like a brand new man.

As much as I'd love to meet her, and I'd jump at the chance, there's something freeing about this kind of relationship.

There are no expectations or rules.

I don't have to remember to put the toilet seat down and she doesn't have to meet my parents, not that that is a possibility anyways.

I don't have to put off grading papers because we agreed to have dinner with her co-workers, and she doesn't have to put up with my hatred for doing dishes.

It's a win-win.

The only down side is the obvious one - I can't hold her. I can't touch her whenever I want to. I can't kiss her lips or smell her scent on my pillows.

I can't fuck her.

Maybe that's why I've clung to Sophia. She's the physical manifestation of what my perfect woman looks like.

Emerald green eyes that haunt your dreams, and legs that seem to never end. Cherry brown hair that's always flawless and magnetic full lips that I've already tasted. She's deadly smart and it's obvious she doesn't need anyone to take care of her. Shes strong and beautiful and for some reason I can't get her out of my head.

I think It's because Lane holds my heart but Sophia has taken hold of my desires.

Unfortunately, girls as perfect as Sophia only get with guys like Michael Taylor.

Ive always thought Sophia was as smart as they come, but if she were she'd have done her research on Michael before going out with him.

He's bad news.

My phone lights up with an e-mail that provides the official list of the students going on the field trip to New York in three weeks.

A whopping 18 students will be in attendance.

My eyes scan the list until I find her name.

Of course Sophia is going. This is probably a dream come true for her. I also notice that Michael has signed up too and my stomach lurches.

The thought of them in a hotel room together makes me painfully unhappy.

It's none of my business. She's a student, nothing more. Just a perverted fantasy that I keep locked in the depths of my mind.