Clingy and Curious

So apparently, when you almost screw a guy, they become really attached to you.

The following week at school I seemed to find Michael everywhere. He appeared every time Fiona and I had lunch, he came by the library when I was working, and he showed up randomly at my home with food or more flowers even though my Valentine's Day roses hadn't even died yet.

I was flattered, don't get me wrong, but all together it's a bit much. The only real time I can breathe freely in when I know he has football practice.

The trip is one week away and I'm looking forward to it less knowing that he's going.

Fiona isn't allowed to go and with the temptation of Thomas lingering over me I can tell it's going to test my self control. We each get our own room with one bed, and judging by who all is going I'm sure plenty of those beds will be empty.

But not mine.

I'll have to remember not to drink anything so that I don't have a weak moment like on Valentine's Day.

I walk into my English class early again like always and see Thomas writing questions on the dry erase board. He has one hand in his suit pocket and the other is expertly scribbling away in blue marker.

I haven't had a legitimate conversation with him in so long, as Sophia or Lane, and I'm on my last leg. I miss him so much that it keeps me up at night. Every time I add more to my romance novel I picture him as the male lead just so I can imagine kissing him again.

I walk up to him, desperate for his acknowledgement.

"Hello, Thomas," I say, taking a risk. No one else is in class yet and he said he preferred his name over Professor.

I see his body stiffen and after several breaths he turns to look at me.

His face stays frozen in a look of torture and I feel my confidence shrink under his stare.

"Sophia." He replies. I twirl my thumbs out of nervous habit while my brain searches frantically for something to say.

"How are you? Are you feeling better?"

Thomas rubs the back of his neck as he tries to find his own voice.

"No, Not really," He gives a cynical laugh that cuts right through me.

"I'll be okay, it's nothing you should worry yourself with anyhow."

Oh but it is, my sweet Professor.

"I just wanted to check on you. You know, after what happened and -"

"I'm fine, really." He insists but his eyes give away just how much pain he's really in.

"Now you might want to take a seat before your boyfriend gets the wrong idea," Thomas nods behind me to where Michael has started walking in with a peculiar look on his face.

I want to argue that he's not my boyfriend but before I have a chance Michael is walking up and putting his firm hand on my lower back.

"Good morning, Professor." Michael says in a domineering tone before leading us to our seats.

Thomas gives him a stiff nod, but his eyes are holding pure malice.

What just happened?

"What was that just now?" I ask Michael with my eyebrows raised.

"What?" He responds, oblivious.

"You're tone, and forcing me to my seat?" I reply, my voice hinting at my irritation.