Stroke of Midnight and Promises

What do I say to him? Where do I begin?

The car ride is mostly quiet as I try to gather the thoughts that are swirling around inside my head.

I should have just believed him from the beginning, I just never would have guessed that Clara would do something like this. I hope it's not too late to fix all of my mistakes, but I won't know unless I try.

Thomas pulls into my apartment complex and puts his car in park.

"I'll wait for you here." He offers but I shake my head.

"Come inside, Thomas. There's a lot we need to talk about." My words seem to surprise him and I can see nervousness spread through his body.

He hesitantly shuts his car off and steps out of it. He follows me to the front door where I unlock it with shaking hands, my body already reacting to his solitary presence.

As soon as Thomas and I are alone inside my apartment I feel every once of my resolve break. Tears begin pouring from my eyes, and I turn to rush Thomas, wrapping my arms around him and burying my head against his chest.

His strong arms immediately react and he pulls me even tighter against him and he rests his chin on the top of my head.

"I'm so sorry," I say through quiet sobs as I cling to him for dear life.

"What could you possibly be sorry for, darling. You didn't do anything. I'm the one that should be sorry, and I am. God I'm so sorry." His voice grows hoarse as he carries on. "I'd give anything to fix what I've done."

I shake my head against his chest and wheeze.

"She drugged you, Thomas. She put a date rape drug in your drink. You didn't do anything wrong."

Thomas's mouth falls open as he regards me now at arms length.

"How do you know this?" He asks me in disbelief.

"She told me tonight. Thats why I... I.."

"You beat her up?" Thomas asks me and I nod through my tears.

"How did you know?"

"Gabbie mentioned something about it. I can't believe this Sophia. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have gone to that bar, I'm such an idiot, and I can't believe you did that for me."

I start shaking my head and pull Thomas back to me for another hug.

"I don't care. I don't care if you drink every night, I don't care about anything anymore. I just want you. No, I need you Thomas. So much. I'm just not myself without you anymore."

Thomas kisses the top of my head and lets out a long ragged breath.

"I haven't had a drink since that night, Sophia, and I don't plan to ever again. And as for my heart, it's still unbelievably yours."

I feel a hot sensation churn in my stomach as I step back to look at Thomas, his words igniting my chest with the hottest flame I've ever felt.

I lock eyes with him then slowly lift my left hand into his view, showing him the ring that's been seated on my finger since the moment I received it.

"And mine has always been yours." I respond, barely audible.

Thomas's face flashes with desire as he looks from the ring to my eyes.

He closes the small distance between us with one step foreword and encases my face in his strong hands, pressing his lips to mine. His tongue instantly slides across my bottom lip and I part them, welcoming his taste. I pull him against me by his shirt, balling the fabric in my fists as I do.