Planning and Hotel Rooms

Everyone takes turns meeting baby Ruby, and they all immediately fall in love with her soft little coos and whines.

I stand next to the coffee machine with Thomas, Gabbie, and Isaac as we refuel. It's three AM and both Gabbie and I know that we're in for a world of hurt tomorrow.

"We have to be on a plane in four hours." Gabbie says with a disappointed sigh. I rub my temples and yawn.

"Unfortunately." I add, but Thomas just cocks an eyebrow at me.

"Plane? Where are you two going?" Suddenly it occurs to me that I never told Thomas about my book.

"Oh my goodness, I haven't even had time to tell you. Gabbie's father is a publisher and he is representing my first novel, The Dead Dame. I'm getting published and our first meeting. Is tomorrow!" I say excitedly because I know Thomas will be just as overjoyed as I am to hear that.

He wraps his big bear arms around me and lifts me off of the ground, his head nuzzled into my neck.

"That's so amazing, Sophia! I'm so proud of you."

My feet touch the ground again and he kisses my lips.

"You should get home and rest for a bit then. You don't want to blow this meeting by passing out." He says, but I just shrug.

"I don't even want to go anymore now that Fiona's had the baby. I want to stay here with her." I admit.

"Don't be silly." Isaac says. "Fiona can live without you for a few days, I promise, I got this." I smile and hug Isaac. I've never had a brother, but even If did I think I'd be closer to Isaac. It was instant love between us. Not sexual love, but deep platonic admiration. We understood each other.

"Honestly I could reschedule. He is my dad after all." Gabbie says with a wave of her hand, but I shake my head.

"No, this is important. I need to make a good impression."

"Then let me take you home, darling." Thomas offers, and I smile. "Sounds good to me. I want to say goodbye to Fiona and my parents first though."

"Of course."

The four of us start walking back to Fiona's room there my parents are already standing outside looking rather groggy.

"We're gonna go find a hotel, sweetie." My Mom says with a yawn.

"Don't you have to be in Nevada tomorrow young lady?" My dad asks and I nod.

"Yeah, but I'm really just banking on being so excited that it gives me enough energy."

"I've been there. Twenty-two is a good age, you should be able to pull it off just fine."

"I should really just give my ticket over to Thomas," Gabbie says with a cheeky smile "Las Vegas is just a short drive away from where we'll be staying. These two could get hitched by Elvis." Gabbie and Isaac laugh at the joke, and my parents almost do until they see my head jerk over to look at Thomas who's already looking down at me with wide eyes.

"Wait, I was kidding." Gabbie says, freaking out after she sees the way we're staring at each other.

"I don't like the Elvis part, but knowing that we could be married as early as this time tomorrow sounds so amazing."

"You wouldn't want a cake? A fancy service? All of your family there?" My mother asks with a worried voice, panic screwing up her normally pretty face.