Know it all

I find my way up the familiar front steps to the library, hurrying as I'm a few minutes late for my tutoring session. My student is Percy Jackson, who is a senior at the high school I attend and I've been tutoring him for the past 3 months. Usually I go over to his apartment but he changed it to the library at the last minute. 

"Sorry I'm late." I say, sliding into the chair across from him, hoping that he doesn't notice me blushing. Percy has that effect on me. 

"That's ok, I was already here and figured it would be easier to do this here today." Percy says, not even looking at me. He's focused on something behind me but tears his eyes away when I grab the algebra textbook and it thuds on the table. 

"You, in a library voluntarily? Never thought I'd see the day." I tease him, knowing his love, or lack of, for reading. He cracks a smile and we get started. 

Percy seems more distracted than usual, he can't keep his eyes on our work and after glancing up to see if he got what i'd just explained and see his eyes elsewhere for the 3rd time, I follow his gaze. He's looking at a girl at the check out desk, who is concentrating on scanning in all the recently returned books. She's tall, blonde, and gorgeous. Irritated, I snap my fingers in front of Percy's face and he jumps, embarrassed that I had caught him staring. His face goes slightly red and he throws himself back into our work with fake enthusiasm. 

I'm in the middle of demonstrating how to answer one of the more difficult questions when an arm pops in between Percy and I and points out one of the questions we'd already worked on. 

"That's incorrect." A girls voice says and we both look up to see the blonde girl from the counter standing next to my chair. 

"No it's not, that's a simple algebraic equation. I'm in calculus 12, I think I would know how to answer it." I say, offended.

"Well, if you are really in calculus 12, then you would know that that would be a positive 4, not a negative." She replies smugly, leaning over the table to show me. From that angle, her chest is right in front of Percy's face and I can see him staring down her shirt. Either she doesn't know or she doesn't care because she stays in that position as she points out the whole equation. I realize, with a scowl, that she's right and I had gotten the answer wrong. Before she straightens up, she puts one finger under Percy's chin and tilts his head up to look him in the eye.  

"Stop staring at my boobs." She says quietly. I think that's a bit innapropraite but he was staring. Percy just smiles widely. She goes back to the front desk, not looking back once. I decide to end our session here before this girl makes a fool out of me. I get the feeling that she's a know it all and can't help but to point out things like that. 

"I think we are done for tonight, Percy. Next week I think it'll be better to do it at your apartment. You're too distracted here." I tell him. He just nods and stands up to go. I take my time, watching Percy talk to the blonde girl out of the corner of my eye. She's laughing at something he said and I'm wondering if they know each other. 

I get the answer to that when I show up at Percy's apartment the following week and she answers the door. 

Hope you enjoyed it! Don't forget to vote and leave a comment!

XOXOXO,

G