Birthday Delight

This takes place that summer before the Last Olympian, so right before Percy turns 16. It's noted that he spent a lot of that summer hanging out with Rachel, but I like to think that he saw Annabeth a bit too, even though during that time Annabeth was being all surly towards him because of Rachel. 

"That is so not how it went down!" I say, trying to get Rachel to see my point. We've been debating for the past ten minutes about whether or not there was room on the raft for Jack. Rachel thinks that Jack was simply a hallucination created in Rose's head to help with her depressive mood and that he never actually existed, but I can't see how. (I've never seen Titanic, so all of this info is coming from google lmao. Correct me if I get anything wrong)

"There was room on that door for the both of them! If Jack were real, then both of them could have lived! Clearly she made him up in an attempt to deal with the fact that her fiancé was a jerk, and that is why he 'died' at the end, because her mind was beyond exhausted at coming up with his image!" Rachel disagrees. I scoff at her reasoning.

"He was in love with her, and he sacrificed himself so that she could live. Having both of them on that door would have weighed it down, reducing the buoyancy, therefore killing them both. Jack was smart enough to realize that and he gave up his spot for her." I argue.

"Ok sure, if he were actually real that would make perfect sense. But since he never existed, your argument is invalid." Rachel decrees. It's impossible to argue with her. I roll my eyes and my stomach rumbles. I push off the couch, going to grab something to eat. My head is in the cool air of the refrigerator when I hear someone say my name behind me. Stuffing a slice of pizza in my mouth, I shut the door and turn around, and Annabeth's head is floating in the middle of the kitchen. My mouth drops open and my pizza falls out onto the floor. Annabeth snickers at my reaction to her sudden appearance.

"Nice, seaweed brain." She remarks through the Iris-Message.

"Annabeth? Is something wrong at camp?" I ask.

"Does there have to be something wrong for me to call you? No, everything is fine. I just wanted to let you know that since my birthday is tomorrow, I am coming for a visit. If you don't have plans already, that is." She says.

"Oh right, I knew that. I mean, I knew that tomorrow is your birthday. Not that you are coming. Wait, you're coming here?" I stutter out, feeling like an idiot.

"Yes, if you want to hang out. You know, since it'll be my birthday?" She elaborates with her hands, as if to speed up my brain processing the information.

"Of course I want to see you!" I say excitedly, a large grin across my face. Annabeth's face matches mine, but her smile falters when she hears Rachel call from the living room.

"Percy? Did you fall in the fridge again?" Rachel says, poking her head around the corner.

"Oh! Hi, Annabeth!" Rachel says cheerfully, joining me. Annabeth's smile has been replaced by a frown, and I'm confused by her sudden turn of attitude.

"I thought you were alone." Annabeth says, her tone icy.

"I am just on my way out. See you tomorrow, Percy." Rachel smiles and then kisses me on the cheek. My face goes red as she leaves, and Annabeth looks upset. I don't know why Rachel did that, she's never done that before and it's not like we are anything more than friends.

"Maybe I will just stay at camp, if you already have plans with Rachel." She says, crossing her arms.

"No, I'll cancel my plans with her. Please come, Wise girl. I miss you!" I plead. Annabeth is looking down but I can see her fighting off a smile.