>35<

Annabeth's POV

"Guys, this is my cousin, Nico." Percy threw an arm around Nico's shoulders as he introduced him to the rest of the group. He shrugged it off and I snickered.

"Say hi." Percy nudged Nico.

"Hi." Nico said in a monotone voice.

"Hey." Everyone greeted him. I noticed how everyone seemed to hold back a bit, but Hazel greeted him with her normal bright smile.

"Annabeth Chase." I stuck my hand out. Nico was hesitant, but shook my hand. Percy looked surprised. "Do you enjoy insulting your cousin as much as I do?" I smiled. Percy glared at me, but I payed him no attention.

"I guess." Nico shrugged, but he seemed a little less miserable.

"Then we'll get along just fine." I clapped Nico on the shoulder.

"Whose funeral is it?" Leo asked and laughed, referring to Nico's all-black outfit.

"Haven't decided yet." Nico responded a little coldly.

"Hm. I thought you were gonna say something cheesy like, 'Yours.' Or 'If you keep talking to me, it'll be your face.'" Leo said, using a different voice for his expected responses.

"Yeah." Nico mumbled and glared at Leo.

"Alright, you know Annabeth, this is Piper." Percy gestured to Piper.

"Hi," she gave him a grin which he didn't give back.

"Hi." He just nodded at her slightly.

"This is Jason." He continued.

"What's up?" Jason stuck out his hand.

"My anxiety levels." Nico kept a straight face.

Jason laughed breathily. "Well, don't worry. We'll look out for ya." Jason flashed a white smile, and I saw the corner of Nico's mouth twitch up in the slightest, making Percy full on smile.

"This is Hazel," Percy said.

"Hi! Hazel Levesque, pleasure to meet you." Hazel gave Nico a huge, warm grin and stuck out her hand.

"Hi." Nico shook her hand.

"If you want, I could show you to your classes—" Hazel started to offer.

"It's better than Percy." I nudged Nico grinning, and he snickered.

Hazel playfully rolled her eyes. "And I could help you out. I know what it's like to be the new kid."

"Sure." Nico nodded, wearing a small smile.

"This is Frank."

"Hey," Frank seemed a little hesitant around Nico. Scared, even. I could tell why. Nico seemed a little standoffish. His aura was intimidating, like he radiated fear.

"Hi."

"This is Reyna,"

"Hi, Reyna Ramirez-Arellano. It's great to finally meet you. When you have the chance, I'd like you to meet one of my friends." Reyna started.

Percy looked at her from behind Nico. He made a hand signal that clearly said, STOP. She didn't get the message.

"He's super cool and I think you'd like him." Reyna sounded like that last part was a stretch, and if she was talking about who I thought she was, she'd be correct.

"Nico doesn't really do well with meeting new people." Percy cut in. "So, he'll probably never have the chance." He quickly moved on. "This is Calypso."