>36<

Annabeth's POV

My knee bobbed up and down as I patiently waited for Percy to come and pick me up.

We had finally been able to work everything out so that I could formally meet his mother, Sally.

Was I extremely nervous?

I was practically shitting my pants.

Was I prepared?

Mentally, no.

Was I gonna do it for Percy anyways?

Of course.

I took a few deep breaths to calm my nerves. It was just dinner. No big deal. Dad already briefed me on how I should present myself, and to have good manners. Say please and thank you, and wash dishes afterward. Helen and her side comments didn't exactly cool the fiery ball of anxiety in my throat, but I tried my best not to snap at her in front of my father. He finally added that, as cliche as it is, to be myself, because that's actually important. I knew what I had to do. Everything would be fine.

Unless she hates me.

And I somehow burn down the apartment building while washing dishes.

But that wouldn't happen.

Right?

I sighed, shoving all my thoughts away as I struggled to clear my head. When the doorbell finally rang, it startled me and I jumped.

I got up off the couch. "I got it!" I ran to the door before someone else could answer. I opened the door to find Percy standing there, rocking on his heels, his hands in his pockets.

"Hey." I greeted him with the best smile I could muster.

"He—" he stopped abruptly as he looked over my outfit. "What are you wearing?" He asked.

"Uh, clothes?" I furrowed my eyebrows; I was confused.

"Clearly not your clothes." He said. In a way, he was correct; these clothes weren't me. I was wearing regular denim jeans—non-ripped—, a light pink sweater, and converse. I put my hair up in a neat ponytail and applied a bit of mascara, and I never put on makeup. "I'm not seeing any rips, dark colors, or flannel. I'm not seeing Annabeth Chase." He looked at me with a smile that was almost sad.

My shoulders sagged. "You're right."

"Let's fix this." Percy grabbed my hand and pulled me back into the house. He ran up the stairs, pulling me along, yelling, "Hi, Mr. Chase!" We got to the top of the stairs and he pulled me into my room. He went over to my closet and began searching through.

"Asshole, what are you doing?" I sort of laughed.

"What does it look like, Wise Girl?" He didn't stop his search. Eventually, he pulled out some clothes. "Awesome." He herded me into the bathroom and closed the door. I took that as a sign that I should change.

A few short minutes later, I came out of the bathroom and walked in front of my mirror. Percy picked out a short sleeve, white crop top that didn't show too much, but just enough. He gave me black ripped jeans, and of course, my signature flannel. I kept my converse on. Percy walked behind me, looking at me in the mirror. He smiled at me.

"May I?" He gestured to my ponytail.

I laughed. "You're such a dork. Go for it, Seaweed Brain."

He gently pulled the hair tie from my hair and my wild, frizzy, blonde curls fell free. "That's more like it." Percy's smile grew a fraction bigger, and it made my heart feel warm.