>44<

Percy's POV

We waited and waited and waited.

I couldn't keep track of how long we had been in that bathroom, but our hands didn't untangle once. I couldn't let go of Annabeth's hand, and it seemed that she couldn't let go of mine either. I was afraid that something would happen if I let go, which was ridiculous because she was right next to me, but I still wouldn't do it.

Annabeth's eyes were bright and alert, a storm crackling in her irises. Her jaw was clenched and her eyebrows were furrowed. She looked as fierce as ever, but I still saw her fear. She was sacred, and we were both shaken after that encounter. So naturally, we both jumped out of our skin when we heard someone pounding on the door.

"The coast is clear! It's the police, you're safe," a broad voice shouted through the door.

Annabeth and I exchanged a look before we stood up and opened the door.

"It's alright," the man assured us. "Are you two okay?"

"Yeah," Annabeth said, taking a deep breath. I nodded, saying a thanks. I looked down the hallways to find students everywhere with a few policemen scattered around.

"Hey." Hazel walked up to us, Leo and Frank trailing behind her. "Are you guys alright? We were just looking for Jason, Piper, Nico, and Will." Her gold eyes were wide with concern. Leo and Frank had a conversation behind her, with a lot of glaring coming from Frank's end.

"Yeah," I nodded. "We're alright."

"Annabeth, you okay?" Hazel placed a hand on her shoulder. Annabeth quickly snapped her head towards Hazel, he eyes refocusing.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." She nodded.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. "We'll catch up with you guys in a bit," I said, letting Hazel know that we'd help them find the others soon. She nodded and led the boys down the hall.

"Hey," I said gently, turning to Annabeth. "Are you okay?" I looked deep into her eyes.

"Yeah, I—" she stopped and took a breath. "I'm okay, I just..." she trailed off, her eyes leaving mine.

"Annabeth, were okay. I'm right here, everyone is fine. We're gonna be alright, okay?" I looked at her, forcing her eyes to meet mine. Her eyes were filled with fear, and a distraught look.

"I just... I don't know, what it is, but—" She tried to find the words. "I just have this feeling in my chest like... like a hot metal baseball, and I don't know why." She looked at the floor, confused.

"Hey, let's go find the others," I offered. "You're probably just worried." I gently raised her chin so she'd meet my eyes. Staring into her eyes, after today, I wanted to say something. But it was hard to find the words. I didn't think we were ready for the 'L' word. I couldn't tell if I was. I took a deep breath. "We're okay," I decided.

Annabeth nodded, and pulled her into my chest, kissing the top of her head. We then made our way down the hall, where I had seen Hazel, Frank, and Leo head off earlier.

We finally found them (Will and Nico had joined the bunch) in Piper's class. I walked up to them and Piper looked distraught. "Are you guys alright?" She asked. She rushed up to Annabeth and grabbed her in hug, which she returned. "I love you," Piper grabbed the sides of Annabeth's head, and Annabeth still hugged her.

"I love you too," they shared one final, tight embrace. I realized just how much the friends had meant to each other. I couldn't help but smile a bit.

"Alright, guys we have to find Jason," Frank reminded us.

"Right, He was in Pre-calc," Piper said, already making her way down the hall with the rest of us following behind. We ran down the halls, and Annabeth and Piper seemed the most eager to get to him. We finally made it to the classroom to find something that nearly made me faint.

The classroom was a mess—desks were everywhere, students were crying, and the teacher stood, looking mortified. The worst part about it was the blood. The red stained the floor and a few desks, where someone had clearly been shot. What scared me just as well was that Jason was nowhere to be found.

Piper raced up to the teacher. "Ms. Reena where is Jason?" Piper asked frantically, her kaleidoscope eyes wide.

"I-I tried to stop him, I..." the teacher trailed off, beginning to sob. Hazel went and tried to comfort her, putting an arm around her.

"Ms. Reena I need you to tell me where Jason is, please," Piper begged.

"T-They took him," she sobbed, pointing out of the classroom.

"You mean... oh my god," Annabeth came to a realization. "We have to go, now," she ran out of the classroom, and all of us followed.

"Shit," Piper swore as we pushed through the doors of the school to the parking lot. Paramedics were loading a few people into a group of ambulances. I caught a glimpse of one victim—specifically his blond hair.

"Oh my god, that's Jason," I said, not believing the words coming out of my mouth.

"What?!" Piper broke into a sprint towards the ambulance, Annabeth and everyone else trailing behind. "Please! No, let me go with him! Please! Please!" Piper begged the paramedics, tears in her eyes. They finally relented and she climbed in. The doors closed and the ambulance drove off.

"Do you have your keys?" Annabeth turned to me.

"No, I left them in my book bag," I said, feeling stupid.

"I do," Will said, fishing something from his pocket.

"Great, let's go," Annabeth said, and we all ran to Will's car. Annabeth and I fell into step next to each other, and she leaned next to me, saying something only I could hear.

"This was the baseball," she breathed. "Jason is the baseball."

"He's gonna be fine," I tried to reassure not only annabeth, but myself as well. I kept mumbling it over and over again, hoping that I could convince Annabeth.

Hoping that I could convince myself.

•••