he was stuck with who he was and what he had and apparently that wasn't enough

mood: keep on wanting- the fray

Saturday, September 30th 12:13 pm

Louis was reading Of Mice and Men on his front lawn soaking in the nice, fall day. He laid on his back underneath a big weeping willow with his feet propped up on the trunk. The sun was shining, leaves were beginning to change colors, and a light, gentle breeze was blowing a scent of pine through the air. It wasn't warm enough for a short sleeve, but not cold enough to wear a coat. He wore an oversized, black zip up (it was only a medium but Louis was tiny tiny tiny) with a white t-shirt underneath, paired with light washed jeans with rips at the knees— he wouldn't usually wear them but he needed to do his laundry. It was a normal Saturday, besides the fact that Louis was relaxing outside. Being outside was never really an appealing idea to him, however he couldn't deny how beautiful the day was, so he figured he would enjoy some time out with a classic.

An hour or two ago he heard Harry leave with Monet for a day out. It helped him decide that he should spend the afternoon soaking up the sun, well, in the shade that is. It's not like he was watching them outside because, psh, why would he do that? He was simply minding his own business when he just so happened to hear car doors being closed and as a concerned neighbor he peeked through the blinds to make sure there wasn't a robbery, obviously. However, for the past couple weeks Harry had been announcing his departure and arrivals to Louis often times he went out (never when he left with Zayn or anyone else who thought badly of Louis).

It was a simple, pointless act but Louis appreciated it. More so, he felt appreciated and wanted, something he hasn't felt in forever. He would usually shout, "Bye Louis, I'll see you later," or a "it'll only be a couple hours, we can hang out after Louis," and sometimes a "wish I was hanging out with you instead Louis." The last one was usually used with Niall and a few seconds later he'd hear Niall whining but Harry only shrugged and got into the car. Monet found it adorable how Harry always called out to Louis before he left, as if he were his own parent. And whenever he came back, he would shout, "I'm back Louis," "We can hang out now," or "You would've been much more fun."

Though they never actually hung out, it all warmed Louis' heart and he couldn't help but smile every time. One night, Harry came to his window throwing pebbles at it to tell him that he won't be coming back that night, and he'll let him know when he's back the next day. It was the day of some important family event (he figured since his whole family left and arrived in the same car). Even though Harry told him he wouldn't be coming back that night, Louis had a moment of worry before remembering. He used these announcements to make sure Harry left and returned home safely. A couple weekends he'd gotten a drunken, slurred shout, which made Louis cringe. The thought of drinking or alcohol in general makes him queasy and he didn't like that Harry was drinking, but at least he got home safe, right?

He's been outside for nearly an hour and was almost halfway through the book and, honestly, he loved it. It was such a beautiful fall day and Louis wondered why he hadn't done this before. There's no harm in going outside and enjoying a classic. It was his tenth time reading Of Mice and Men (it was his favorite) and what better way to relive the nostalgia than to feel nostalgic himself. He loved reading, especially the classic novels everyone know and love. But he wasn't into the 'mainstream' novels (that's what he liked to call them) like Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc. Though they were all great novels and he's of course read them, but he never found them as compelling or interesting as he found Of Mice and Men and other novels that are commonly overlooked.

2:31 pm

Louis' been reading nonstop for a few hours and the book was nearly finished. He would usually take a few breaks to rest his eyes or get a snack, but he didn't want to break away from such a beautiful day by going inside. He took his time reading, processing and analyzing everything and he absolutely didn't mind if it took him weeks to finish a book if it meant that he was able to relate to or to just understand what's being said. Being so indulged into the book, he didn't hear car doors opening and closing from across the street.