Just Give Me a Reason (Brief Mature Content)

Derek pulls into the driveway of the house he shares with his husband. He isn't really sure if Stiles is technically his husband anymore because he rarely sees him now. It's no one's fault really. He just is busy with work, and Stiles is busy with work as well. Derek is an emergency room doctor at the hospital, and Stiles' owns a bakery. Just as Derek gets home, Stiles is usually already gone not to return until Derek's shift starts.

When they first got married Derek was still in medical school, and Stiles was just putting the finishing touches on the blueprints of his bakery. They couldn't really afford to open the bakery at the time with Derek still in school, and Derek has always regretted that Stiles selflessly put his dream on hold for Derek.

Derek regrets lots of things.

He sits in his car longer than necessary before getting his things and opens the car door. A light in on in the kitchen, and Derek frowns. Stiles isn't still here this late or early, it's three in the morning Derek isn't sure which one it is, and he carefully walks into the house. Derek sees his husband sitting at the bar of their kitchen reading a book. Derek shuts the door as quiet as he can, but Stiles still jumps in fright before throwing the book at Derek. Derek jumps back quickly and it slides across the floor before stopping in front of him.

"Shit, Derek. Thought you were a burglar or something." Stiles says, clutching his chest. Derek notices that he is still in his pajamas and one of his old shirts from high school. Derek picks up the book and sits on the table.

"Why would a burglar have a key?" Derek says, deadpanned. He isn't being rude it's just how he talks when he's tired but Stiles' mouth turns down in a frown.

"Well I didn't know what burglars do!" Stiles sasses back, folding his arms across his chest. Derek smiles patiently at him before setting his things down. Stiles smiles back nervously at him. This is the first time in about three months that they've had an actual conversation that didn't involve text messages saying that they wouldn't be home till late.

"Why aren't you at work yet?" Derek asks, yawning. Working at the hospital is going to make him grey before his time, Derek thinks. Stiles is watching him with this look on his face, but he isn't too sure what that look means.

"I have a couple of minutes before I need to leave." Stiles says, and Derek nods at him. He is debating whether or not he wants to shower or eat first. He peaks inside the refrigerator to see that it is pitifully empty for one of the people living there bakes for a living. Derek sighs loud and irritated before going to look at the pantry.

"Is anything is this house edible?" Derek wonders aloud, and Stiles chuckles softly.

"There is some canned soup stuff. I meant to go shopping earlier, but I can go after work." Stiles says, and Derek nods. He knows that he should probably do some of the shopping instead of just Stiles but right now he can only think of his bed. Derek grabs a can of soup, opens it, shoves it into the microwave, and waits. He turns around to see that Stiles isn't there anymore, but he can hear the soft sound of him rummaging around in their bedroom.

Their bedroom.

Derek cannot remember the last time that they slept in the same bed. Not to mention when they were intimate together, or even kissed. Derek is felt with shame at that fact that he cannot remember kissing his own husband. He begins nervously turning the gold band around his ring finger on his left hand. Derek knows they need to change, that they can't live like strangers that don't know each other. He is brought out his own mind when he hears the sound of the door shut, and the sound of the Jeep starting.