The Choices We Must Make

Mpreg. 1950'S!AU.
__________________________________________________________

It's on a train going to the middle of nowhere that Stiles finds himself on a hot April day with all his belongings piled into one suitcase, and a letter in his hand. He has reread it so much that he has it memorized, and when the conductor announces that they're five minutes away from the station Stiles reads it again.
Dear Sheriff Stilinski,
I am writing to tell you that there's a man that lives at the edge of town who has lost most of his family in a tragic accident. I went to speak to him and he is willing to marry your son and raise the baby as if it were his own. The man's name is Derek Hale, and he is excepting your son around the end of the month.
This is a perfect opportunity to bury the mistakes that your son has made, and move on.
Sincerely,
Chris Argent.

Stiles put the letter down with a sigh, and he places one hand on his still soft belly. He is only about six weeks along, and now he is hundreds of miles from home about to wed a stranger. Stiles' father had no choice in the matter, it was an election year and a pregnant, unwed son would drop his ratings down in the polls. John had assured Stiles that Chris Argent was a man of his word, and that Stiles would be safe.

The train comes to a stop, and Stiles gets pulled from his thoughts. He moves to smooth down his dress shirt since he will be going straight to city hall to get married, and his heart is beating uncontrollably in his chest. Stiles thinks that it is lucky that he isn't showing yet so maybe he'll be able to convince people that the baby is this Derek Hale's instead of who it really is. He grabs his bag to head of the train where he sees a man about his age with tan skin and black hair holding a sign with his name on it.

Stiles grits his teeth and wonders if this is his future husband. The man has kind eyes, fairly handsome, and when he notices Stiles staring at him-he smiles. "Are you Stiles Stilinski?" He asks, and Stiles nods his head. The man laughs in delight while pulling Stiles into a hug, and Stiles stands straight in surprise. "I'm Scott, Derek's little brother. I volunteered to come get you since Derek is already at city hall." Scott says, and Stiles feels his stomach drop because he really thought that this nice young man was Derek.

"Shall we go?" Stiles says, pleasantly. Scott nods his head rapidly and gently places his arm around Stiles' waist and takes his bag out of his hand to lead him to his car. Stiles climbs into the truck while Scott gently places his suitcase into the bed of the truck. Scott climbs into the start the truck, and he drives down town. The town is boring, Stiles concludes. He was from the city, and the small town was never a life he wanted to live. Of course, pregnant with no husband at twenty while being practically forced to marry a strange was no life he had envisioned either.

"We've all been so excited for this. How far along are you?" Scott asks, with a pointed look at Stiles' tummy. Stiles gapes at him because he would have thought that Derek wouldn't have wanted others to know that Stiles' baby wasn't his, and Scott gives him a patient smile. "Derek tells me everything. The rest of our family died when our house caught on fire ten years ago. I was eleven, and Derek was seventeen. It's been just us ever since." Scott says, and Stiles gives him a sympathetic look.

"About six weeks." Stiles says, quietly and Scott smiles.

"Awesome! He'll be here by Christmas then." Scott says, excitedly. Stiles decides to just look out the window to pass the time because he doesn't know what to do with Scott, and luckily, Scott doesn't find it odd he just keeps filling the silence with his rambles. Stiles is about to scream in frustration when Scott finally pulls the truck into the parking lot of City Hall.

****

Stiles almost runs, he isn't proud of that but he almost does. He has to tell himself that he is doing for his father and for his child. Stiles doesn't even want to think about the baby now, he has mixed feelings about it. He is disgusted with himself at these thoughts, but it doesn't stop them from coming. He jumps when Scott puts his hand on his back to steer him into the building, and Scott gives him a reassuring smile.