The Thing Is

Hey, friends! This was requested by my new friend RusherMixer. It's a little angsty, but like always has a happy ending. I love you guys. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

        The days after the aftermath of the Nogitsune pass in a daze, Stiles doesn't remember everything that happened a few days after that. He remembers staying in bed, not being bothered by anyone. Stiles tries to tell Scott that he is sorry about everything but he cannot make himself say the words, plus, Scott has told him over and over again that he doesn't blame him.

Stiles blames himself though, he does. He knows that it isn't his fault, deep down he does know that. The pack leaves him alone for the first couple of days, everyone is grieving, but soon they're too concerned. Scott tells him that he'll give him all the time he needs to heal, and Stiles is grateful. He stays in his room most of the time, John will occasionally pop his head to check up on him, and he isn't hungry or tired or anything. Stiles usually just lays on his bed to stare at the ceiling, and he ignores his phone when it beeps.

“Stiles?” Stiles hears, and he looks up to see his father staring at him. Stiles waves his hand in the air a little, and John crosses his arms over his chest. “How are you feeling?” John asks, carefully. He is always so carefully with Stiles now, sometimes Stiles likes it makes him feel like his father cares. Sometimes, he wants to scream at his father that he isn't broken, but he is.

“Fine.” Stile says, and John sighs loudly before he leans against Stiles' door frame to show that he isn't going anytime soon. Stiles lays in silence for a silence for a moment before he folds his arms over his chest while his father stares at him. “Better.” Stiles finally mumbles, and John breathes out in relief, over Stiles feeling better or just in relief that he actually answered the question.

“Good. I've got work. Maybe you want to head over to Scott's or Lydia's?” John suggests, and Stiles controls his sigh that threatens to slip past his lips anyway.

“I might.” Stiles lies, but John nods his head anyway before turning around to leave. Stiles watches him leave as he continues to lay down on his bed, and he is pretty sure that he has worn a spot on his bed from where he hasn't moved. He cannot remember the last time he slept more than minutes at a time. Stiles has nightmares now, even worst than before, and they're getting less frequent but worst. If he doesn't sleep than he doesn't dream, but he's keeping that information to himself.

Stiles knows that if Scott or his father knew that he wasn't sleeping properly then they would watch him sleep or make him take medicine or something else he doesn't want to do. He hears knocking on the front door, but he ignores it. Anyone who is desperate enough to see him has a key, and he hears his father's soft voice talking to someone.

Stiles sighs to himself before he turns over to show his back to the door, and he stares at the wall as he hears footstep on the stairs. The fourth step from the top creaks, Stiles waits to hear it, and when he does he just listens. He wonders who it is, coming to see him. Maybe it's his father telling him something before he leaves. Stiles hears the police cruiser start up, and drive away so it isn't his father. His door creaks open, but no one says anything yet. “So who's on Stiles babysitting duty today?” Stiles sighs out, still not turning over to see who is here.

“Stop saying that.” Stiles hears a firm voice say, and the corner of Stiles' mouth twitch for a second before he puts his arm over his head.

“Hello, Derek.” Stiles says, his voice bored sounding. He hears Derek's sighs of annoyance or maybe it's just he expecting Stiles to be happy to see him. Stiles really hasn't been happy for a while so Derek shouldn't take it personally. “I don't really feel like doing anything today or dealing with your self deprecating self so.” Stiles says, and he hears that same sigh.