Under Construction

sterekgotmelike requested Derek's as a construction worker, and the rest is all me. I changed the bookcover, I hope you guys like it. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

        Derek Hale likes his job. He likes that he builds new places for people to work or live, and he especially like getting his hands dirty. Derek likes the way he shows up at dawn, and gets to watch the sun rise as he wields metals together to form the strong frame of a new building. Derek really hates downtime and when he is not working he usually just spends time with his sister and her kid.

            Derek really likes his job, but there are some things he hates. He hates the way that people ogle him as he bends over to get something, the other guys always make kissing faces when women and a  few men give him a once over. Derek hates the way that he is sometimes so tired when he gets home from work that he cannot seem to find the energy to do anything. Overall, on most days Derek likes his job.

            Today is not one of those days.

            Half of the men on Derek’s crew were late due to the fact it was Monday, and they were hung over. There are just things on the construction site that cannot be done alone, and Derek was absentmindedly stalking around waiting to get to work. He was the foreman of the workers, and he was practicing his speech in his mind when he turns sharply before he feels something spill on him.

            “Oh, God. Are you okay? I didn’t burn you did I? Of course I didn’t, it’s iced coffee. I am so sorry for everything.” A man rambles, and Derek fights the urge to smile because the man who just assaulted him with ice coffee is frantically trying to wipe the spill from Derek with his hands. The man is tall, lanky, with huge brown eyes behind rectangle glasses, brown hair, and his skin is sprinkled with moles.

            “It’s fine.” Derek says, gruffly. The man looks at him while biting his lip, and Derek tries to keep the color off of his cheek because the man looks really good when he does that. Derek turns to walk away to wait for his crew when he hears the man following him.

            “I got distracted. The building is coming along nicely. I can’t wait to move in to it.” The man rambles, and Derek turns around to look at him.

            “You work at the special education department of Beacon Hills?” Derek asks with surprise, and Stiles smiles. Derek was aware that the building he was building was going to be a specialized part of the school that could just be focused on the special education needs of the students. The state had finally given enough funding, and Derek was glad considering his niece has autism.

            “Yeah, I teach the autistic kids in the elementary school. We’re so excited for this building because now we get bathrooms built into the class, more ramps for wheelchairs, and our own gym. The kids will still more likely spend recess with the mainstream kids, but it’s awesome.” The man rambles, and Derek finds the corners of his mouth twitching.

            “My sister’s daughter is in the special education program, so this will be her new school.” Derek says, and the man smiles at him wide.

            “Really? Who’s her teacher?” He asks, and Derek wrinkles his head in concentration while trying to remember the teacher that his niece tells him about almost on a daily bases.

            “He has a weird name, but I think it starts with a S.” Derek says, and the man cackles with delight.

            “Stiles Stilinski.” Stiles says, holding his hand out. Derek looks at him in shock before taking his hand. Stiles’ hand is soft and smooth compared to his rough and calloused one, and Derek smiles at him genuine because he knows how much his sister and niece love her teacher. “Okay, let me try to guess who’s uncle you are.” Stiles says, and he pauses only a second before he snaps his fingers in realization. “Autumn!” Stiles says, and Derek looks at him in surprise.