Episode 24

Cygny

Before Mom stormed in my room with her fuming eyes, Hue hid under my bed as fast as I can remember. On that certain moment, I am convinced that ninjas would be intimidated by how fast he moved.

"Who are you talking with?!" Mom growled after she slammed my door close.

I automatically snapped out of my trance. Blinking, I force my brain cells to think of a convincing reason to answer my Mom's close-to-Boy-Abunda's-hotseat-question.

"Nag... Nag-pa-practice lang po ako sa last roleplay activity po namin." I bow my head as I pray for her to be convinced by my not so convincing answer.

I'm about to beg all of the Gods I know when she rolled her eyes at me. "Hindi ba't sinabi kong matulog ka nang maaga? Don't tell me, you are always doing this?" She raised her well-shaped eyebrow at me and I shook my head nervously.

When she walked towards my door, I heave my most relieved sigh. But, I hold my breath when she faced me again. "Harrie will stop loving you kung may eyebags ka. You have to stay pretty for him. You will marry Harrie and I don't want you to look like a mess. Harrie is more important than your grades. Now, sleep." She harshly concluded as she stormed out of the room. She slammed my door louder than what she did earlier and I wince.

I quickly run towards the door and clicked the lock button. Nang tumingin uli ako kay Hue ay lumabas na siya sa ilalim ng kama ko. Kagat-labi akong lumapit sa kanya. I swat his arms and that earn me a scowl from me.

"Papatayin mo ba ako sa nerbyos?!" Matigas at mariin kong sambit habang patuloy na hinahampas ang kanyang alsadong braso.

He held my hands. "Is your Mom serious about the lame Harrie shit part?"

I'm about to swat his arms again because he seemed unbothered to my nearly heart attack state. But, because his hands are gripping my wrists, I decided to just calm myself down.

"Don't call Harrie that." I roll my eyes.

"He is lame as shit, believe me. Those cardigan he wore the last time I saw him looked shit on him." He chuckled. "Pero seryoso nga ang Mom mo sa sinabi niya?"

I sit beside him. "Yes, that was her plan the moment Harrie confessed his feelings to me when we were, like, Grade 5 or something."

Binitawan na niya ang mga pulso ko. "Your family is weird." He ran his hand under his tassled hair. "Why the fuck would she arranged her daughter's marriage on that very young age? What if that lame shit Harrie didn't really mean what he confessed to you? And he is fucking young at that age so prolly, that was a fucking puppy love shit."

I know, I should defend Harrie. Nilinaw niya sa akin na hindi pa rin nagbabago ang pagtingin niya sa akin. Hinihintay niya lang talaga ang panahon kung saan ready na akong makipagrelasyon sa kanya. Pero ang problema, hindi ko siya mahal. Ang rason ko lagi sa kanya ay pag-aaral muna ang focus ko. Sinabi ko din sa kanya na 'wag iyong sabihin kay Mom dahil paniguradong malalagot ako. Mabuti na lang at sinunod niya ako.

"I don't know. Let's go?" Was all that I said. I choose to navigate the topic.

He just rolled his eyes at me as he nodded. Sinundan ko siya papunta sa balkonahe ng kwarto ko. Nagtatanong ang mga mata kong nakatingin sa kanyang malapad na likod. Papaano pala siya nakaakyat dito? Kaunti na lang, iisipin kong kamag-anak siya ni Naruto.