Episode 66

Cygny

Right after I came back to the taxi driver to pay, I went back to our house. Mom cooked for my food for the first time since I can remember. She's smiling all the time ever since she saw me, which is also the first time since I can freaking remember.

This is too good to be true. Am I dreaming? O baka hallucination ko na lang ito dahil gutom ako?

But, I cofirmed that this was actually true when she put a plate infront of me. Nilagyan niya iyon ng kanin at ng niluto niyang chicken adobo.

"Go, eat, anak."

This is also the first time she called me her daughter...

I almost cried as I started to dig into the food. Gustong sumabog ng puso ko dahil sa labis na saya.

Bibitayin na ba ako bukas? Feeling ko, mabait lang siya sa akin dahil mamamatay na ako bukas?

With the corners of my lips turning down, I munch. Her smile never left her face as she stroked my hair. She is just watching me with the glint on her eyes that I badly want to see from her. That was the only motherly glint that I've been longing to ever since I was young.

"Sorry," she sighed, "I was so busy hating your Dad that I forgot to take care of you the way how I want to. I was so indennial to love you but I came to my senses the day after you left the Philippines."

She swallowed the lump growing on her throat. "I thought, I'd lose you without me telling that I really love you. I was so scared, anak." I sob and continued listening to her as I eat. "Ikaw na lang ang mayroon ako ngayon. Akala ko, pati ikaw, iiwan din ako."

I shook my head as I chew, "I won't, Mom." I smile at her with tears escaping my eyes. "I won't." I hold and squeeze her hand.

She wiped my tears, I am not ready when she suddenly asked me, "Where's Sullyvan?"

I blink and almost choke. Inabutan niya agad ako ng tubig at tinapik-tapik sa likod.

"What's wrong?"

I took a deep breath before I speak. Wishing all of my feelings were really gone when I said, "Break na po kami."

Tila bang hindi niya iyon inaasahan. I can really feel like she's trying hard not to go back to her usual self. The one who will nag at how dumb I am for choosing a guy against my own mother. Own mother. I should tell her that I already know that she isn't my real mother.

"Mom," I said, quite not sure if this is the right timing to tell her this. But I know, if not now, I might not have the courage to tell her this for the rest of my days. "I already know the truth." Still holding her hand, I gave her an assuring smile.

She examined my face quizzically. "What truth?" There's an iota of worry on her eyes but I tried to push it away when I squeeze her hand.

"That I am not your real daughter."

Napahawak siya sa kanyang bibig. Hindi makapaniwala sa sinambit ko, I scoot closer to her and hug her. "But I won't leave you, Mom. Dito lang po ako. You will always be my real mother."

Humikbi siya noong niyakap ako nang mas mahigpit. "You..." She sobbed painfully, "How did you know?"

"Nakita ko po sina Dad sa California," I rest my head on her shoulder, "I will never see them again, Mom. They are the worst."