Ray x Reader - April Fools

My hands shook as I looked at the pregnancy test.

Positive.

Sure, Ray and I had been trying to conceive a child for a while now, but what if he changed his mind? What if he backed out when it was too late for me? Multiple questions began to drown me as I sat on the lid of the toilet, tears streaming down my face. I had about an hour until he got home from work, meaning I had an hour to pull myself together and think of a way to present the news.

I let myself cry for a few minutes, trying to rid myself of emotions. Then, I went downstairs and decided that I would tell him over a nice dinner. I walked into the kitchen and began to gather ingredients and cook a meal, feverishly waiting for his arrival. With every movement, I felt the pregnancy test jut out of my pocket.

When Ray arrived home, I already had dinner cooked and plated. "Hi Y/n. Were you.. cooking today?"

I shuffled into the mudroom and answered. "I made dinner f-for us tonight. I thought... I thought maybe we c-could stay in and eat?"

"Oh, Y/n, you're too good to me!" He hugged me.

I shifted my body so he wouldn't feel the test in my pocket. 

We entered the kitchen and we began to eat. We talked of everything; work, food, television shows, movies...

And then the time had come.

"Ray?" I said, hands shaking but trying to sound calm. "Could I tell you s-something more... more serious?"

He looked worried but nodded, sitting down on the couch and patting the cushion next to him. "Remember yesterday when I woke up and threw up?" 

He nodded.

"W-well, I was trying to think of reasons why I would have thrown up. Then I realized... I realized my period was late," I could no longer make eye contact with him as I pulled out the pregnancy test. "I took a test and it's... positive."

He took the pregnancy test from my hands and looked at it.

Then he laughed.

"Very funny Y/n. Nice April Fool's joke. You almost had me, too."

I got up and rushed over to the calendar. How could I have not realized the date?

Ray thought that the pregnancy was a joke.

I looked at the ground, standing still as tears fell from my face. "Y/n?" he asked, the test still in his hands. "You don't have to be this sad that you didn't prank me, I mean just wait until next year! It's really fine," he said looking at the test. Then he looked up at me.

I just shook my head.

 "No? What do you mean? About next year? Of course, we have next year!"

I shook my head again.

He looked at the test better.

"Unless you mean..." he trailed off.

I stared into his eyes as realization washed over him. "You mean this is real! You - you mean I'm... I'm going to be a dad?"

I smiled softly to confirm his question.

Tears sprung from his eyes as he embraced me tightly. "We're going to have a baby!" he whispered.

(~----~)

Comment

Vote

W.C: 541