Gerard x Reader - Ill

For @Gerard_Wae_is_bae . Hope this is what you wanted. Thanks for the request :)

<~-------------~>

Tonight was the night. After three years of dating, I was finally going to propose to my long-term girlfriend, Y/N. I had every detail planned out in my mind, and all I could do now was hope that it all went well.

I walked into the hospital where she had been confined for the past six months with the tiny box in my pocket. You see, she had a rare form of cancer, and was forced to stay in this hospital so it could keep the illness monitored. Her confinement did not stop our relationship though; by this point, I practically lived in her hospital room with her and had gotten clearances to take her outside at least once every few days to go on dates with her.

I slowly made my way up to her hospital room. Usually, nurses and doctors recognized me from my lengthy and constant visits, but not today.

Everyone seemed preoccupied.

I approached the door to her room and was about to step inside when a doctor put a hand on my shoulder and turned me around. "Mr. Way?" the doctor said, looking at me, pain in his eyes. "Her condition," he shook his head. "It's... it's gotten worse. She had a horrible reaction to a new medication and we... we aren't sure if she is going to make it."

I stood stock-still, the doctor's words hitting me like a ton of bricks. "W-What? She was... she was fine yesterday... how could this have happened?"

"I know this is hard, Mr. Way," the doctor continued, seeming to regain some of his confidence. "My physician team and I are going to try our hardest, but we want you to know that she is currently in critical condition."

I nodded and turned to slowly open the door.

The sight stung my eyes as I saw her, wires and machines seeming to be the only thing keeping her alive. "Y-Y/N?" I stuttered, stepping closer.

"Gee," she said, eyes fluttering open, a faint smile on her face.

"I... I don't know what to say..." I mumbled, stepping closer and bending down to caress her face. "How did this escalate so quickly... I mean... if I knew we were out of time I would have...-"

"Gee," she said again, pleading with me. "I wouldn't have asked to spend the time any differently. All that matters," she inhaled a shaky breath. "...is that I spent my time with you."

The tears finally flooded my vision, and I knelt beside her, slowly pulling out the box. "If this... if this is our last night... I wanted you to know that I love you so much that I was... I was going to marry you."

A quiet noise, almost like a laugh, escaped her lips. I slipped the ring on to her finger and laid a gentle kiss on her pale lips. "I wish... I wish things could be different," I began weakly. "I wish we could spend every moment together forever. I didn't want things to end so quickly. I wanted you to be the one I spent the rest of my days with. Y/N-"

A quiet shush came from her as her hand gently grabbed mine, her eyes now closed. "Gee, I know that's what we wanted, but sometimes, things just don't work out." her voice was raspy and soft as her cold fingers ran over my shaking hand. A quiet sob escaped my lips.

"One last time," she said, nearly inaudible. "Sing me my favorite, love."

I nodded as I pulled a chair over to the side of her bed. "I never said I'd lie and wait forever

If I died, we'd be together..." 

W.C: 618 words