Chapter 23

Prince Harry's
Point of View

I walk down the corridor towards the main office by myself, hearing my footsteps echo behind me throughout the palace.

As I approach the office door, the guard standing there nods his head before moving to open the door for me.

As the door slowly swung open, I could hear the voices of my father and mother, which slowly became softer dulling into a hush at the sound of the door opening.

As I walked further inside the office I move straight forward to sit in the chair opposite them, pulling it back and sitting down.

"Harr-" my mom tries to speak immediately, but for once I reply, cutting her off.

"Mum, I told you I had someone I wanted you to meet, and so you decide that the right thing to do is bring someone else and promise her my hand in marriage?" I say directly to her, refraining from being disrespectful.

"Son, I think you need to understand where your mother is coming from." My dad says, making me shake my head. It isn't usual when my dad sides against my own choices regarding my life.

"Father, how would you expect me to understand when finding true love is one of the things that is most important to me and always had been. I thought you knew that."

"I do know tha-"

"Well then?  How can you take that away from me?" I say, making his face drop, possibly telling me I got my point across to him. He leans back in his seat, looking over to my mother who looks slightly agitated.

"You have to understand where I am coming from. One thing I've always wanted was to be able to marry someone that I love, not just something that would benefit the both of you or the other commonwealth."

"Sometimes you need to think about what will benefit the commonwealth." She says making me sigh, "think about the people Harry, the people who will be living under your kingdom."

"I have mum, I know more about them then you and dad do." I say, making her eyebrows raise.

"What do you mean son?" My dad asks softly, his face filled with guilt.

"I don't mean to take anything away from you, but since I've been watching you rule the commonwealth from when I've noticed, I've been looking into the countries we rule over- the ones part of the commonwealth-, and I've noticed some parts of them have very poverty stricken areas. Some hidden in the most beautiful places.." I say, the topic heartbreaking to think about. "So I found that the poverty rate in Italy, especially Venice, is actually very high, shockingly high considering I knew nothing about it before, to the point that I believed that there wasn't any. There are People that are starving, ones who don't get to receive and education and others who don't even have any access to shelters."

"How does that imply that you know more about our commonwealth then your father and me?" My mother says, making me sigh.

"I wanted to see this all from their point of view, from the people of the commonwealth's point of view- the way they're living and everything."

"Was this your recent trip?" My father asks making me nod.

"Yes, I decided it would be a good time to go to Venice, before I take over the crown- I want to make things right. I want to make good choices that will actually make beneficial changes. There just seemed to be something wrong and I felt that we need to start ruling more with the people and from the view of the people, rather than the views of our own, which are currently only slightly influenced by the views of the people." I finish off.

"I'm proud of you Harry. That was incredibly thoughtful and considerate. It really shows such character of a true leader. You are going to make such an amazing King one day." I hear my father say, making me smile. I nod my head thanking him silently as he smiles.

"I do apologize for thinking that you ran away from your responsibilities here,I'm also very proud of you Harry, however, this marriage is one of your responsibilities now, and it cannot be canceled." My mother says, making me shake my head lightly.

"Why is that?"

"This will benefit our kingdom, their kingdom and the commonwealth."

"I don't see how it would, and even if it did, there are so many other ways we can help our people, but I do know that this marriage will not benefit me in any way." I say honestly making her shake her head.

"Harry, you are getting older, and you are taking over the crown soon, you have to settle down now before all of this happens, you need to be responsible and do this before. You don't have forever to find someone to settle down with." She says.

"This isn't your responsibility to take care of, love is my priority and isn't something that should be rushed, and it definitely not going to be pushed aside just because I need to settle down and besides, I don't need forever, because I've already found her."

"The wedding will be straight after Christmas and we've got a lot of planning to do, so I suggest you start getting to know her and send that other girl back to Venice." I shut my eyes as she completely disregards what I say. I take a deep breath in before replying.

"Mother, that other girl was the someone I wanted to bring home for you two to meet." I say stiffly.

"Harry."

"No mother, why not, what is it?" I say exasperated.

Her eyes do not wander away from mine, staring straight at me, making my eyes widen.

"You don't even know her!" I exclaim making her shake her head before standing up and walking towards the door. I stand up straight after, following her towards the door.

"And I won't need to, because I'll be getting to know Celia. You should too." She says stopping at the door.

"How can you tell me I cannot be with someone just because she isn't part of royalty mother?" I ask, absolutely shocked by her actions. She turns her back to me and starts to walk out before she stops dead in her tracks at my words.

"I love her, you cannot do this to me." I say.

With that she turned around without replying and walked out of the office, leaving me standing there staring at the now open doors leading into the corridor with my father behind me.