Year 5 - Liquid Luck

Harry became team captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. And right now I'm on the train to Hogwarts I'm in the Prefect compartment. Yes, you heard it well. I'm the Ravenclaws fifth-year female Prefect. I'm so proud of it. I go sit next to Padma Patil, the Ravenclaw sixth-year female Prefect. In front of me, Hermione and Ron are seated. In the back, I see Draco and Pansy. I totally forgot I would see him here. He looks really tired. His eyes meet mine so I quickly look away and hope nobody saw something. I see Ryan Howking enter, my Prefect partner. Why him? I don't like him, he always thinks he knows best. Then the Head Boy, Gabriel Truman from Hufflepuff, and Head Girl, Penelope Clearwater from my house, enter. They talk about our duties and our benefits, like having a special bathroom. When they're done we can go.

I go look for my friends, Ginny, Olivia and Luna. On my way, I run into Daphne Greengrass.

"I saw you at Diagon Alley with my boyfriend. Didn't I tell you before to stay away from him?" 

"From what I saw, it looked like Draco and Pansy are dating and not you. And I only tried to be friendly, he looked sad so I cheered him up a bit. Even though that is supposed to be the job of a girlfriend. If you're his, then where were you when he needed you?" I ask her, she just looks at me like I punched her in the face without saying anything, "That's what I thought." I walk past her and go to my friends.

-----

The first thing I notice when I get off the train is the extra protection. Aurors are checking everyone.

"It's not a cane, you cretin. It's a walking stick." I hear Draco sneers at one of them. Isn't he charming?

We all go to the Great Hall for the Sorting Ceremony. There are 9 new Ravenclaws, 12 new Gryffindors, 12 Slytherins and 11 Hufflepuffs. Ryan and I will give those nine lucky ones a tour around the castle after the feast. That's our first task as Prefects. I find it pretty exciting but Ryan thinks it's stupid. Have I already said that I don't like him? Well, then I did now.

"I wish the very best to you all," Dumbledore starts, "First off, let me introduce the newest members of our staff, Horace Slughorn," Slughorn stand up and we all clap in respect and to wish him good luck. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." I clap because I'm happy for him, I know he always wanted that spot. I look around and the see the other students with confusing glances. Only the Slytherins are clapping the others just stare, that I find rather rude and respectless, "Now as you know each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man who, like all of you, was a Hogwarts student. He sat in this very hall, he walked in this castle's corridors, slept under this roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name was Tom Riddle, nowadays he is known as Lord Voldemort. And every day, every hour, maybe at this very moment, dark forces are attempting to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you," I look at Draco and see him staring into space, thinking about who knows what. "This was just something to think about. Now, all to bed."

I get up and walk over to the first years, "Hello, my name is Darcy and over there is my Prefect partner Ryan. We will give you a tour around the castle. So come on, Ravenclaw, follow us."

-----

"Ah, Mss Potter, what are you doing here? This is the N.E.W.T. class for Potions," Professor Slughorn asks confused.

"Oh, I'm in this class Professor. I do my O.W.L.'s this year but I skipped a year for Potions."

"Wonderful, you must be just as talented as your mother, maybe even more. Now gather around, class. I brought some potions today and I want you to pay attention. Attention to detail in the preparation prerequisite of the planning." On that moment my brother and Ron enter, "Ah, Harry and friend. So good of you to join us. Take a book and come with us, there are some spare ones in the cupboard. As I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?"

Hermione puts immediately her hand in the air.

"Yes, Miss..?"

"Granger, sir. That one is Veritaserum, it's a thruth-telling serum. That one would be Polyjiuce Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. This one is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and ... spearmint toothpaste."

"Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it's probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn supplements.

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one." some girl of Gryffindor asks.

"Ah, does anybody know? Darcy, perhaps?"

"It's Felix Felicis, or better known as Liquid Luck. It's a potion that makes the taker successful in all their endeavours. It's desperately tricky to make and disastrous if you make it wrong. One tiny details wrong and it fails. But if you get it right, one sip is enough to succeed in everything until the effects wear off."

"10 points for Ravenclaw. This is will be the price for the first one who manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death in the remaining hour. The recipe is on page 10 of your books. Good luck."

I walk to my cauldron and start reading the instructions. When I read them they feel wrong so I just go on intuition. When I'm done I call for Slughorn and he's impressed.

"You truly have the talent of your mother. One drop would kill us all. Oh, look over there, Harry yours is perfect too. Your mothers' talent didn't get wasted. But I must be consistent, your sister was first so she gets the Felix Felicis. Here you go, Darcy, you earned it."

"Thank you, Professor but my brother may have it. He can use it better, I make my own luck." I answer and see a smile rising on my brothers face. I really need to ask him how he did it. My brother isn't bad at Potions but he isn't good either. I'm curious how he did it.

"How come you are so good at Potions, Potter?" I hear Draco ask when I'm about to walk out of the class.

"Potions is a passion, you just need to feel it," I explain.

"Then I'll make you my passion," he winks at me and walks away. 

What did just happened? Did Draco just wink? At me?