Chapter 1/Edited

Winter is the most beautiful season. The way the snow falls quietly but violently. The way the bright pastel colours of a sunset reflect off the sparkles of snow and even though you can feel the deep cold in your bones; the atmosphere can warm your heart.

Cassie was currently sat outside on the front decking watching the snow fall covering the landscape, thinking about the future and what might lie ahead. 17 and thinking of the future is terrifying but knowing she had passed the 17 year old mark a few weeks ago, she could find her mate at any moment.

"Cassandra! Dinner is ready!", her mum called.
She walked inside but not before she stole another glance at the snow with a smile. Cassie could smell her mother's delicious cooking as soon as she opened the door to their house, the corridor to the kitchen is laced with pictures of the immediate family and the pack.

Cassandra's mother and father's wedding photo, however, was her favourite with her mother's long laced dress flowing in the meadow outside the pack houses. They got married in the spring with the flowers blooming under their feet and from the photos she had seen it in, it must've been the most beautiful sight.

All the pack houses are shrouded by the deep woods around us but the entrance of the pack's land is open with the giant meadow from the wedding pictures; it was always known as the best place to play when you're a pup and with your friends as you can run in circles forever knowing you're safe from harm.

"You okay?", her dad, the Beta of the Midnight pack, says making her jump.
"Yeah I'm fine just thinking", Cass says with a smile.
"Penny for your thoughts?", starting the conversation as they sit down.

"Just thinking about your wedding day, POP anyway, where's Zach?".
Mila rolls her eyes, "Probably screwing someone behind a tree", which makes Cassie and her dad choke on their food with laughter.

"That boy has been running riot since his 16th and screwing every girl with a tail", Alfie jokes.
Cassandra smiled thinking about her idiotic brother, they had always got on even with their sibling disputes. Nothing would ever make her stay mad long at her brother, he was just too charming for his own good.

"You may like your brother but his wolf is a pain in my ass", her wolf Tala argues. Tala always makes Cassie smile with her snide remarks. Not only is Tala great for her remarks but also because she is a beautiful grey wolf with a dark brown streak running down her back and amazing intelligence but with Cassie's athletic abilities make them the best pair, that's why the moon goddess put them together.

~

After dinner, it was quiet around the house, Alfie and Mila were relaxing downstairs in front of the fire so Cassie went for a run in the snow - her favourite thing to do. The feeling of the crunch underneath her paws and the breeze streaming through her coat made her feel alive. It made her feel like she could walk on water.

Snow makes everything seem peaceful even when the world is falling apart around you. Her mind drifted to thinking of the future yet again, what her mate would look like, if he would be intelligent and sophisticated or dumb and goofy, either way she knew the moon goddess would make a good choice for her.

"His wolf better be cute or someone will get broken bones" Tala sneered, she chuckled in response but knew Tala would melt as soon as she saw him whether he was angelic looking or looked like a half dead wolf that had been dragged through a bush.

She continued to roam aimlessly through the woods enjoying her freedom, the variety of smells hit her nose ranging from deer, voles, squirrels and... something else. Something sinister. Freezing in place she slowly sniffed the air.... Blood, wolf blood and lots of it.

In a panic she started racing back to her pack with worry and fear coursing through her veins. The closer she got the louder the growls and cries for help became making the anxiety worse by the second.

Cassie entered the clearing to see carnage, bodies strewn across the snow creating a horrific contrast of pure white snow and dark crimson blood. She had no idea what was happening but she needed to find her family so she headed straight for her home.

As she weaved through the houses she tried contacting her family through the pack mind link to no avail. Fighting back tears she knew she had to stay strong but most importantly - stay alive.

After leaping over a dead pack members body she realised it had become eerily quiet making the atmosphere more unsettling. She still hasn't seen or heard anything from her brother either, he was her younger brother but only by a year, they were as close as anything and the idea of him being gone made her nauseous.

Cassie approached her house to see a trail of blood leading into the house from the decking she was sitting on merely hours before, "We don't know who's it is, it could be an enemy."
"Considering the situation Tala I don't feel hopeful", Cassie replied solemnly.

Following the trail she sees all the family photo frames cracked and broken on the floor, she began to shake, not just with fear but with anger that someone had come in and destroyed her home. She turned the corner of the hallway to continue following the blood trail into her living room, the heart of the home decimated with blood... and death.

She had found a large light brown wolf laying limply over a honey brown wolf with with white boots.... she felt her legs weaken at the sight of her slaughtered parents. She felt Tala growl deeply with rage but all Cassandra felt was raw and unforgiving pain as she began to whine.

She crept forward and nudged her father's light brown wolf hoping to see some sort of reaction but there was nothing. Whilst mourning her parents she failed to hear the heavy footsteps creeping up behind her, Cassie was pinned to the floor before she could even defend herself, she helplessly called out through the mind link but all she heard was the silence of the dead.

Tala willed her to fight the midnight black wolf but she had nothing left, she succumbed to the pain and loss of her pack and family as the enemy ripped through her body. The last thing she remembered was watching her crimson blood spread throughout her living room floor as he raked his teeth down her back before drifting into a pain reliving sleep...

~

First chapter done... I always find the start the hardest so I'm glad I've done it! This chapter is over 1200 words and I'd like to know if this size is good or shorter/longer chapters are wanted.
Any advice or *constructive* criticism is definitely wanted, there's always room for improvement. Please let me know if there's a spelling or grammar mistake.
This chapter is dedicated to my good friend RegsLurvesJess who gave me the encouragement to start this story!

~