Chapter 11

Her eyes lit up as they came across a picnic set up on the small beach, it was just out of sight from the pack houses so they had some privacy. "It was about time I made my mate aware of how much she means to me", Leo whispered in her ear from behind. She smiled shyly, maybe the moon goddess heard her prayers for some peace - she felt like she'd earned it. "What are you waiting for?", Leo said with a smile. Cassie smiled back and perched herself on the plush white pillows and eyed the delicious food. "I absolutely love apples and cheese! It's my favourite snack! How did you know?", she said curiously. Leo shrugged, "Just was thinking of snack ideas and fruit, cheeses and crackers was my first idea".
"You did well, Rivers", Cassie said diving into the delectables. He chuckled at her behaviour and sat opposite her, "I wanted to apologise for earlier and explain myself", he started but Cassie cut him off, "Honestly I completely understand, Zachary is being a knob and I've tried to tell him he's being an idiot. He's just protecting me and can't trust anyone right now considering... the circumstances".
He sighed and nodded, "I understand that, but when he's disrespecting me, in front of others especially, he cannot continue to do such. It's unacceptable. I don't ask of much, just respect".
She nodded, "I will make it very clear to him, ultimatums normally have to be put in place for things to go through that thick skull of his", she said with a small chuckle reminiscing about her memories. Leo let her ponder and enjoy the quiet stillness of the atmosphere. Being late at night there wasn't many noises as the animals were sleeping and the pack was winding down for the night but the ominous screeches of the owls in the night made the forest come alive.
"It's nice to finally admire your land for what it is, I haven't had much chance and although it doesn't beat Canada... it's beautiful in its own way", Cassie says kindly.
Leo smiles whilst munching on some cheese and crackers, "I haven't been to Canada much, hence why the boys went to help your pack.... although I regret not going".
Cassie shrugged, "You can help me find the people responsible instead, you're here now".
He smiles warmly at her, "I'm sorry I haven't been as supportive as I should be, it's just a big and difficult adjustment. Suddenly all of my priorities have changed and I don't know what to do with that".
Cassie nods slowly, "I get what you mean, I'm torn between hunting and slowly murdering the foul creature that is the cause of all my ruin.... but then you came into my life and now I partly want to just.... move on? I don't know if it's really right of me to say that but....".
He shook his head and gingerly reached for her hand, "I know you want to spend time with me and live a peaceful life but I also know you wouldn't be able to live without getting revenge. You wouldn't forgive yourself for not avenging your family".
Cassie nods grimly, "I need justice... then maybe we can think about the future?".
He smiles again, "That's my plan".
They smile at each other and admire how their hands feel against one another, it's the first contact they've had except when she first arrived. It was nice to finally be with each other and not have to worry - even if it lasted for a split second.
"Cass?", A small voice says from the forest.
They both stand in a panic but realise it's Zach coming out of the shadows, "What are you doing out of bed?", Cassie says annoyed.
Zach rolls his eyes, "Doc said my wolf has helped massively and I'm doing a lot better so I'm allowed out if I take it easy".
Leo's eyes narrow, "Can we help you?".
Zach chuckles, "Easy, you can continue trying to sweeten up my sister in a minute... I actually came to apologise".
Leo's facial expression clearly indicates his surprise but Cassie isn't surprised at all, "I told you he isn't as bad as you thought", she says to Leo.
"Look, it wasn't my place to tell my sister who she can and can't be with but you gotta understand where I'm coming from right?", Zach said simply, "She's all I have left and I don't want you taking her from me or hurting her for that matter".
Leo smiles softly, "I'm not going to take her from you and she's my mate, I have been waiting for her and I never plan on hurting her".
Zach was still unsure but he guessed he would have to take his own advice with trusting people.
"Do you trust him, Cass?", Zach said unsure.
She nodded quickly, "He hasn't given me any reason not to".
Zach just smiled and hugged his sister, "Good, then I guess I'll have to trust him too", they go quiet for a moment leaving Leo stand awkwardly to the side before Zach spoke up again, "You know I haven't been able to hug you since before...".
"Then shut up and just enjoy the moment, dickhead".

~

It had been a few hours since "the moment" and Zach had made Cassie his famous hot chocolate for the pack, Orion, Justin, Charlie and Leo were all sat around the Alpha's dining table chatting about each other's lives.
"So Cassie is actually a lovable, hugging maniac?", Orion says laughing, "Who would have thought it?".
Cassie was sat at the head of the table with her knees pulled up to her chest cradling her hot chocolate with an annoyed expression on her face but had a small smirk on her lips. Leo was taking this moment to gaze at her beautiful features from the other head of the table, her freckles were spread across her nose in little patterns, her hair had been pulled up in a bun with her whispy pieces of hair loosely falling across her face. Mixed with her small smile and shiny grey eyes, she was a goddess. He dared to think she would be more beautiful than the moon goddess herself. Leo had wandered into his thoughts and hadn't noticed he had been staring at Cassie, she was watching him with an amused face... and so was everyone else, "Alpha... if I may... you're smitten than a kitten", Justin says and the table bursts into laugh as a blush crosses the Alpha's face.
Charlie's eyes go wide and he has a wide smile on his face, he blushes and faces downwards, everyone knew Justin was slightly pushing Leo's buttons but it was a good laugh. "So lemme get this straight, Adam is a pain and I should avoid him at all cost but he's somehow the beta?", Zach says evidently confused. Cassie's mouth drops open, "Who told you that?", she says annoyed. Zachary shrugs, "The big guy", he says patting Orion on the back who has a wide grin on his smug face. "He's just pissed because he's the Gamma and Adam got the better position in the pack", she says smugly drinking from her mug making everyone burst into laughter. "That's so not true! I'm the head of the warriors, he's not!", Orion says with a pout. Cassie laughs, "Yeah but he's second in command for the WHOLE pack. You're not", Everybody begins laughing in unison whilst Orion complained at the sidelines. It was nice to have some peace in the house and the laughter was refreshing compared to the dull anger that has been drifting over the pack. "It's getting late, Adam should be back tomorrow night until then let's get some rest", Leo commands making everyone leave for their bedrooms, he was trying to talk to Cassie alone but he wasn't sure how to do it. He didn't want to seem like some sort of creep by going up to their room and trying to hit on her. When he snapped back to reality the dining room had already cleared so he headed up to their room, he could hear some of the boys chatting and pranking each other in other rooms around the house. Normally he would roll his eyes at their childishness but right now he was just appreciating everyone's happiness, he hoped when he saw Cassie she would have her dazzling smile on her pink lips, if not he would make it happen. He knocked on the door, "Hey Cassie is it okay if I come in? Are you decent?", he doesn't get a reply but hears the shower running so he goes in. Leo could see the light on in the bathroom so he waited patiently on the bed after getting changed for bed, he assumed she wouldn't mind him with his shirt off again. She couldn't take his eyes of him last time, plus he liked watching her squirm in awkwardness whenever he showed off his body. The shower stopped, he smiled, he couldn't wait to finally get some alone time with her, even if she was too afraid to take the next step with him. Cassie came out of her shower wrapped in a rose coloured towel, her hair was trailing down her back with water droplets falling on her cream skin, her eyes went wide as she spotted him perched on the bed, shirtless. "Oh- um- I'm just gonna-", she stumbles as she reverses into the door frame in a start. Leo chuckled, "I think it's time we talk-".
"Alpha! Someone is crossing our territories! They're coming fast towards the house!"

~

Happy Valentine's Day! Please vote, comment and follow my profile for notified updates 😊

~