Chapter 8

Transferring a comatose Zach back to the Shadow pack from Moonlight proved to be fucking difficult. Sam and Leah had been so hospitable and tried to get them to stay at least until Zach woke up but Leo needed to get back to being Alpha, they had been gone longer than intended and the pack needed him. Cassie stayed next to him the whole journey, she even slept in the same room as him for the stay over at the hotel. She was petrified of him dying and her not being there, she thought it was a rational fear and so did everyone else so they left her to it. They had been back for two days and she had hardly seen anyone since their arrival, she assumed they were all busy with pack duties but she was starting to get lonely waiting for Zach to wake up, which might not happen for weeks yet. She sighed and decided to go for a walk, it was either that or wait here for another few hours when Doc came back to check on her brother. She pulled on her jacket she stole from Leo and walked out the door, Cassie looked back at her brother one more time before closing the door behind her. She had thought a walk around the lake might make her feel better.

~

Cassie had been taking the slowest walk she could around the lake, she was admiring how beautiful the lake was as it glistened under the moon light. The breeze on her face made her feel a bit better, she no longer felt as claustrophobic. It wasn't that cold outside considering where the shadow pack lived, but each time she walked outside she missed the snow dearly. Canada was her favourite place in the whole world, she wished she never had to leave. Maybe she could return some day?
"What are you doing out so late?", a voice behind her said making her jump out of her skin. A dark figure appeared from the trees to reveal a shirtless Orion, "Why are you here?", she replied back.
"I'm doing patrols, now more importantly, what are you doing out here unaccompanied?", he did with crossed arms.
"Didn't realise I needed to be babysat?", she said sarcastically.
"You do when one you're entire pack was slaughtered for an unknown reason and two you're our future Luna?", he said annoyed.
Her face went blank, with all the problems and commotion going on she completely forgot.... she was Leo's mate. An Alpha. Suddenly she felt an overwhelming amount of pressure on her shoulders, what did she know about looking after a pack? She didn't know anything about them, their routine, their allies, nothing. She groaned and rubbed her face in frustration, Cassie just couldn't have peace for a day could she?
"Sorry you probably didn't want to talk about that right now...", he said apologetically.
"It's fine, there's just so much going on you know?".
He nodded, "Did you want some company? You look a little lonely".
Cassie shrugged, "I just wanted to get out, I was feeling claustrophobic and I just wanted some fresh air".
He nodded as they carried on her walk, "I can get that, how is Zach?".
She sighed deeply, "No change, god knows how long it will be until he wakes up..."
He sent her a small smile, "You just have to keep faith".
"I know but it's so frustrating, he's right there.... but he isn't talking, smiling or even moving. I just want to hear his voice again".
"I can understand that, but he needs time to heal".
They turned a corner and came to a shallow beach with a mini pier, "This is where we come in the summer to chill out, the kids in the pack love it here".
"I don't remember the last time I went swimming, we used to ice skate on the lake near the pack houses as it's always cold".
He just laughed, "Are you any good?".
"When me and Zach were really little we used to do it *all* the time and on the weekends a coach would come and train us, we were okay I guess. Pairs skating is so much more fun".
"I can't imagine the grumpy Cassandra doing something so girly like ice skating", he laughed.
She laughed with him for once enjoying a conversation, "Hey in my defensive Zach did it with me", she glanced over at Orion, of course she knew he was shirtless and she wasn't uncomfortable as it's a normal thing in the werewolf world but she must've been completely blind as she now notices he has white large scars covering his back and chest. She inhaled as she observed his skin, he stayed quiet but she could tell that he knew she was looking.
"You're okay to ask, Cassie", he said quietly.
"I don't want to pry..."
"Really it's okay, I'm not afraid to hide them", he said with a smile.
"How did you get them?".
"When I was younger and still living with my family... they weren't the nicest people, they believed that if you were to be strong then you had to endure pain to be "invincible" which is obviously stupid but I guess that's what they believed".
"They sound like fucking idiots", she mumbled angrily, "what kind of people do that to a child? To anyone?".
He shrugs, "Them I guess, my brothers left them too a few years before me so I guess they're alone now. Maybe they're different people now they're alone but I don't want to find out".
"People like that don't change, they just manipulate and cause pain to make themselves feel better. You deserve better than that", Cassie said quickly.
"Thank you... I hope one day my mate thinks the same".
She giggles, "Of course they will. All mates fall head over heels as soon as they see each other".
"I knew it", Leo said from behind them making them both jump and Orion laughed hysterically, "You adore me".
"We are the exception Mr Alpha", she said with creased eyebrows but with lightness you her voice.
"I know you think I'm cute", Leo said with a wiggle of his eyebrows and Orion was now uncontrollably laughing. Cassie felt very uncomfortable now, "Why are you here Leo?".
He smiled, "Doc wanted to see you, he has some news about Zach".
She burst into a smile began to sprint back to the hospital with footsteps slowly trailing behind her.

~

It was the morning after the walk around the lake, Cassie was now glued to Zach's side. Dr. Ben had been monitoring Zach's blood levels and found the infection had been clearing faster than expected. He could wake up any moment and Cassie was not going to miss it, she had been bouncing with excitement and was sat with him on his bed where she had been sleeping last night, he had been rolled over gradually as his whip marks had been healing so he could be more comfortable on his back. Leo decided to join her this morning in anticipation, he wanted to talk to Zach when he woke up about what he knew but he feared if he did Cassie might put him through a wall. That was how she was, but he didn't care as she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. She could put him through a wall and he couldn't care, at least he got to feel her touch in some way. Her beautiful dark blonde hair dropped around her face and her grey eyes sparkled under the light, she had a cold exterior with how she treated people but he had a feeling that once you gain her true trust she becomes the most caring and gorgeous person in the world. She was funny with her sarcasm but during the past 2 weeks that he knew her he assumed she was hurting a lot inside that she wasn't letting on. He wanted to help her feel better but he wasn't sure how, "Maybe if you hadn't scared her with your temper the first night she might trust you", Asher argued. Leo rolled his eyes, "That was your fault". "You haven't even marked her and you've known her for 2 weeks. The moon goddess must be laughing at us". He groaned, "Shut up Asher, she doesn't trust us I'm not going to force her to be marked or to mate with her".
"What's wrong?", The angel said from Zach's bed.
He was an idiot. "Nothing Cassie, just thinking".
"Penny for your thoughts?", she said hopping off the bed to sit opposite him in the hospital chairs.
"Just Asher... being Asher", he said with a smirk.
She rolled her eyes, "Tell him to piss off".
He laughed, "I think I prefer Tala", Asher said making Leo laugh again. "He says he prefers Tala", Cassie rolled her eyes, "Well she doesn't have time for a grumpy alpha wolf with no patience", she said sarcastically. "Too right... but I'd love to see him in wolf form", Tala replied making Cassie smile. He loved this girl that much he knew, Leo found her hilarious but Asher... not so much. "Once we mark her and we are in wolf form I swear to god I'll- "Okay Asher chill out", he laughed.
"I'm assuming some angry comment from him?", she said curiously.
"Maybe slightly sexual as well...", he said with a nervous chuckle.
Cassie's eyes went slight wide and had a light rosey blush on her cheeks, "Don't worry he isn't going to do anything".
"Tell Asher he can at least ask for a date first before going to 4th base jeez", she joked.
He had an idea, "Would you like to?", he said nervously, "Really Leo? You're an Alpha and you're nervous of our mate?". He internally told him to shut the fuck up.
"Would I like to what?", she asked turning to him with a small smile.
"Would you like to go on a date?", he said with a big smile.
She smiled back, "Maybe, if you choose something interesting to do".
"I have a few ideas....", he said before being cut off, "Like hell I'm letting you take my sister anywhere", someone growled making Leo and Cassie leap out of their chairs in surprise.

~

Sorry guys it's kind of an abrupt ending as I wasn't sure how to end the scene! But hey Zach's awake! And I think Leo is slightly fucked 🙃 Please vote, comment and follow to got notified for updates!

~