Chapter 4

"You're ballsy I'll give you that, first day being able to walk and you want to face that. Very ballsy", Orion says abruptly. Cassie raises her eyebrow with a pissed expression on her face, an expression the boys are quickly recognising. "Listen here asshole I don't care what you think, my brother was no where to be seen before the attack and I need to make sure he's okay. I couldn't find his..... wolf during it either.", She stumbled. There was a silence whilst the boys mulled that over, they hadn't thought about if there were any run away survivors. "I have a log of each wolf that passed during the attack, we buried them, we didn't think they should be left as they were so we logged them and buried them all", The Alpha said. Cassie thought about it, they didn't have to do that, they didn't even have to come when I assume the Alpha of Midnight pack sent out a distress call, but they did. "Thank you...", she began. "Leo, my name is Leo Rivers of the Shadow pack", Leo said smoothly. She just nodded in acknowledgment, she didn't want to think about how easily his name would roll off her tongue or how kind he was to her pack. She just wanted to focus on Zach, was that too much to ask for? "I'll go get the log", Leo says leaving the room.
"Well that didn't seem awkward at all", Adam says with a raised eyebrow.
"Shut up you fucking donkey", Cassie replied.
Orion burst out laughing and Adam looked very unimpressed, "Well the fucking donkey wants to know your name, as you still haven't told us what it is".
"Cassandra".
"I'm gonna call you Cass", Adam says with a smirk.
Cassie creases her eyebrows, "My brother calls me that".
"Well that must mean you like it then".
She just sighs and lets him get on with it.
"What do you prefer?", Orion pipes up.
"Cassie is fine".
"Cassie it is then", Leo says from the door making everyone whip around in surprise, "Here is the log, obviously we don't know their names so they are described with the colours of their fur or if they were human what they looked like".
She hesitantly grabbed the papers afraid of what she would find, Cassie started to read through the descriptions as she sat down next to Adam. Most of them were the pack warriors at first but then the pups and teenagers came up and she stumbled across her parents.... she didn't want to cry in front of these people plus her parents wouldn't want her to cry either. Her hands shook as she turned over the papers but as she carried on reading she couldn't find any matching description on her brothers wolf. "He's not here", she said with a spark of hope in her heart. "That's good", Adam says smiling. Leo steps forward, "I've known your Alpha since I was young, I've noticed he wasn't there, why?".
Cassie sighs, "He and his family, including my friend Emily went away to visit a pack in England for a week. They attacked whilst they were gone".
Leo sighs and runs his hand through his hair, which Cassie had noticed he seems to do when he is frustrated - not that she should care.
"I need help going to other packs to find Zach, I know he survived, in my gut I know he did and this", she waves the papers, "proves he did, it means he would've gone to another pack to help knowing him".
Adam smiled, "Hey Leo do your bestie a favour and not fuck up with her, I like her".
Leo just rolled his eyes, "Shut up you idiot and start contacting the other packs to let them know we are coming."
"On it boss", he says leaving the room.
"I'll start telling the warriors we are leaving for a few days, anyone you want to bring?", Orion says stepping forward.
"Bring at least Justin and Charlie with us, tell them to pack a bag for 4 days max".
Orion nods and leaves Cassie and Leo alone together, they both just stood in their silence uncomfortably. "Well if this isn't awkward I don't know what is", "Shut up Tala, nows not the time", she says back.
"Looks like I'm not the only one having trouble with their wolf", Leo says quietly whilst looking at her.
Cassie wasn't sure what to do or how to respond so she just nodded awkwardly.
"What's her name?"
"Tala..."
"That's a beautiful name."
"... Thank you.... what's yours?".
"His name is Asher and is a royal pain in my ass".
She smirked slightly at that, "Why's that?".
Leo looked down slightly, "He has a bad temper sometimes and makes me seem like a wanker the majority of the time".
Cassie nods, "Noted."
Leo smiles but his face begins to frown, Cassie raises an eyebrow expecting him to say something but he just marches out the house. Cassie follows him outside but he whips around with an annoyed expression, "Stay here, there's rogues approaching".
Cassie crosses her arms in annoyance, "Look you may be the Alpha and my mate but nobody but Alpha Ryker tells me what to do. I'm not some dainty play thing alright? I can take care of myself".
Leo scoffs, "Yeah you really showed us that when Adam and Orion found you half dead on the floor".
Cassie flinches at that comment, that stung. It wasn't her fault for mourning her parents and being caught off guard. I guess she shouldn't have feelings. "You know what, you're right, Asher does make you a giant tosser", she says before turning around and storming back to the house. She heard him sigh behind her but turn back to where he was going to sort out the rogues.

~

Hours go by with Cassie sat on the sofa getting more frustrated by the minute, she just wanted to go home, be with her family and spend time with Zach but she knew she couldn't do that. Tears started to fall for the first time, she was just so angry she couldn't be happy anymore, her family was dead or missing, she was stuck with random people and had an angry mate that had no temper control. Frustration was just scratching the surface, she rarely cried but she allowed it this time. The tears slowly started to fall down her face, she rested her head in her hands and let them fall, it was time to let them go; she was holding on to them for a while now.
"You know I hear ice cream helps", Cassie jumped out of her seat as Adam came towards her with Neapolitan Ice cream and some bowls. 
She hastily wiped away her tears, "It's okay, crying is okay, or at least it is in front of me", he says quietly with a little smile. She smiled at him, maybe she did like this idiot as her friend. He had been the nicest to her so far and she was grateful for his idiotic jokes to distract her from what was really happening.
"Chocolate, strawberry or vanilla?".
"Definitely not strawberry", she said quickly.
He raised his eyebrow but let it slide, "So... Leo? Out of anyone in the world the moon goddess picked an interesting one for you".
Cassie rolled her eyes, "I'll talk to you but only if we don't talk about him".
Adam chuckled, "He's my best friend but can be a real prick. I understand". He gave her chocolate ice cream and then he turned on the fireplace before sitting on the sofa with her.
"So Cass", she rolled her eyes at the name, "What's your brother like?".
She smiled, "He's my favourite person in the whole world, he drives me absolutely insane but I adore him. He's a year younger than me but acts so much older, he always looks out for me".
Adam smiles, "He sounds like my type of guy".
Cassie smiled thinking of some of her best memories with Zach, "I can imagine you both scaring the shit out of me on a daily basis, you'd both be evil".
Adam let out a big laugh, "Now *that* sounds like fun. Orion is fun to annoy but he is such a buzzkill, being the head of the warriors he has to be a grumpy douche but he needs to let loose".
Cassie laughed, she also had that impression of Orion but could tell he was a good guy really.
They talked a little while longer about her brother and Adam's stupid antics and jokes before the front door briskly opened and Leo came in, "Adam grab your shit we are going, the sooner we go and get back the better".
Adam quickly got up and went upstairs.
"I don't have any clothes", Cassie said annoyed.
Leo rolled his eyes, "You can wear some of my sisters old clothes".
Cassie raised her eyebrow at him again, something she started getting used to doing around him but followed him upstairs.
Leo opened a door to a large room covered in purple, "Her clothes are through the door on the right over there, there should be a bag under the bed, knock yourself out", he said leaving her to it. With a heavy sigh she walked to the bed and grabbed the bag before going into the wardrobe, the majority of the clothes were purple unsurprisingly but she managed to find some decent clothes for the journey. After she was done she met the boy's downstairs who were packing the cars up with supplies.
"Where are we going first?", Cassie said.
"Moonlight pack, they are - were also allies with your pack and good place to start.", Adam said sheepishly.
She just shrugged and hopped in the back with Orion. Leo and Adam took the front seats and the other guys went in a different car. It wasn't long before they were on the road and everyone was in an awkward silence. This was going to be a long road trip....

~

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, please vote, leave a comment and follow my profile for notified updates!

~