Chapter 23

The pack was shaken up to say the least, anyone's house could've been broken into and nobody would've known. The Orphanage was normally unguarded as it was normally safe in the middle of the pack but now everyone was on edge wondering what the motive of the trespasser was. Orion and Charlie lead some warriors to follow the blood trail which oddly stopped as they reached the clearing Cassie and Leo liked to visit. Had the trespasser been watching them this whole time? The thought made Cassie nauseous.
"Talk to me, firecracker", Leo asked one her mind reaching to consume her in one of his warm hugs.
"I'm tired of people playing with us, I want to know what's going on, I want justice for my family, I want to bury my pack", she rambled on into his chest releasing her annoyance.
"I know, I'm sorry we've been focusing on other  priorities. What can I do to make it better?", he asks into her hair.
"I want to follow the trail with Zach, he used to be a good tracker in the pack and he might pick up something you missed", She asked batting her eyelashes.
"Not happening", he said rolling his eyes walking away. She groaned and followed him, the warriors had finished scouting the house an hour ago and were now patrolling the grounds instead.
"Look I know you don't trust Zach and don't want me to get hurt but you have to have some faith in me!", she begged. Why was she even begging for his permission? She was the Luna it was her pack too.
"I said no Cassie", he said sitting at his desk skimming through papers. Cassie just walked out to get Zach, if he wasn't going to let her then she was going to have to do it behind his back. He would be proud when she found something, "Hey Zach can you come with me please?", she asked kindly. Adam looked at her weird but brushed it off as he was trying to talk to Emily who yet again was not acknowledging his existence. They walked outside where men were bustling around and children were circling exhausted mothers who were trying to do their daily chores amongst the mess. They walked over to the patio to see the wood starting to give off a mouldy smell, sometimes werewolf senses are a blessing and a curse.
"What are we doing here, Cass?", he asked quizzically shrivelling his nose at the smell.
"We are going to follow the trail with your nose and find where this dickshit went" she said happily.
Zach smiles happily, "You want us to disobey your annoying ass mate which will surely make him pissed? Hell yeah I'm in!", he said immediately sniffing to find which way the trail went.
"Turn around, it's easier if I shift", he asks immediately cracking his bones as she turned horrifically before he saw something she regretted.
She felt him lick her hand telling her it was okay for him to turn around, she missed seeing his wolf Tristan, his honey coloured wolf with his white boots made him look more like a cat than a wolf. Sniffing the wooden panelling he jumped over the railing towards the back of the house. Cassie had a good feeling about this.

~

Tristan has stopped at the clearing where the warriors had lost the track before but she was beginning to feel the disappointment creeping in. He kept going back and forth between the same trees and she groaned before falling onto her back in the grass making pollen float in the air. Tristan stopped at one pine tree in particular but kept walking around it in circles, Cassie just decided to make shapes out of clouds, it was more productive than what they were already doing.
Zach re-emerged as his grumpy self and plonked himself next to her in the grass, "They were right the scent does seem the strongest here, it continues slightly but it's very faint".
"That makes no sense", she said pulling daisies out of the ground to make Zach a flower crown like she used to.
He leans back on his wrists, "I don't know what it is about that tree though, the smell is immensely strong".
Cassie just shrugged putting all the daisies together in a loose chain before placing it on his head, he gently smiled at her childish gesture but accepted it gracefully.
"None of this makes sense", she complained looking at the cowboy shaped cloud.
He shrugged too, "Honestly our lives don't make sense".
Determined not to give up Cassie walks over to the pine tree and smells something oddly familiar making her feel sick to her stomach but she couldn't put her finger on it, she knelt at the ground to see the slightest trace of blood covering the emerald sea of grass. However, she noticed the grass felt strange and it didn't flow in the wind as it should making it stand out from the rest of the clearing. Clearing away the logs and mug pile at the base of the tree she found a rusty latch that could easily give someone tetanus, "Hey Zach!", she called excitedly. He ran over before coming up short, "What is that? Some sort of hideout?"
"I have no idea".
Don't open it, for once I think you should ask for Leo's help now".
"Leo, we found a hidden door where we think the trespasser might be hiding!", she calls excitedly through the pack link.
"..uh oh...", she heard Adam say quietly.
"You went outside. After I SPECIFICALLY told you not to?!", he said through what she thought was gritted teeth.
She cringed, "You weren't listening to me and I knew I was right!".
He growled angrily making her want to submit instantly and Zach whine, "Stay right there, don't you dare open it without me there".
The pack link was swiftly cut off but Cassie could still feel his anger radiating in her mind and body, she was screwed and she knew it.
As they waited for Leo to arrive Zach looped his arm around Cassie's back feeling her uneasiness, they were always getting into trouble together but this time it wasn't their parents coming to scold them then laugh at their antics. Now they were just going to get collared by their new Alpha for actually doing something productive, yes they went against his orders but they found something useful.
Speaking of the devil, Leo emerged with all his boys in their shirtless glory, they must have been patrolling as wolves after they left to explore and then shifted back to deal with this.
Cassie smiled sheepishly at her fuming mate, "Heyyyyyyy Leoooooo", she said nervous rubbing the back of her head as he stormed towards her and her brother who took a protective stance in front of her.
"You purposely disobeyed a command and could've gotten you and your brother seriously hurt. Do you understand how stupid that was?!", He growled looking her into her stormy eyes.
She growled defiantly back, "If you had listen to my suggestion then you would've found this earlier wouldn't you!".
Zach backed away towards Adam as the fight worsened, which in Cassie's mind was a smart move.
"You're insufferable!", he shouted.
"You're obnoxious!", she retorted.
"Alright alright!", Orion shouted over them both, power radiating though them all as the pair glared at their disturbance, "Can we do what we came here for? You two can carry on your petty argument AFTER we find the person who broke into the house", he said walking over to the hidden door. Charlie was on his right and Justin on his left on guard ready for anything, when Cassie and Leo were a safe distance away the boys opened the mouldy door.
When the Alpha and Luna were met with silence they approached cautiously, Orion looked up in pure confusion and shock, "It's not a hideout.... it's a tunnel".

~

"How the fuck do we not know about this?", Leo grumbled with his eyes slowly turning black.
"I'll sort this, why don't you take Asher for a round of patrols", Cassie sighed calmly placing a hand on his chest, yes she was mad but she couldn't deal with Asher right now and she knew her touch calmed him.
He contemplated for a moment and was about to argue but with a flash of her yellow eyes he agreed and stormed off. Cassie turned around to greet the new situation, "Is the pack builder available? We can see if he knows about this".
Orion nodded, "Justin, Charlie can you stay here and keep an eye on it just in case, let me know if anything happens", they both nodded seriously as the others left.
Adam had a disturbing expression on his face - it looked like he was actually THINKING. It really must be the end of the world, "You okay Adam?", she asked unsure. He seemed to snap out of his thoughts but just nodded and carried on in silence, it was starting to make her more uncomfortable than the unknown tunnel.
The pack was no calmer than before as they navigated the crowds to a small cottage on the outer side of the pack. People were shoulder to shoulder getting around as they tried to prepare for another inevitable attack. Approaching the cottage an old man with silver coating his hair came out to greet them, "Luna, it's nice to meet you, Orion what's the problem?".
He was covered in what looked like sawdust in his baby blue coloured jumpsuit, he kind of looked like a mad scientist minus the science.
"We were wondering if you knew of a tunnel on the outskirts by the clearing about a mile away from the riverbanks?", He asked with his arms crossed but not intimidatingly.
He shook the dust out of his hair with his fingers as he thought, "Not that I can think of but I do have some blueprints of the old pack grounds if you wanted to have a look? It might not be much help but I became a builder when the old structures were taken down so I'm afraid I wouldn't know much about the grounds beforehand other than the blueprints".
This man seemed genuine and she was grateful, "That would be really helpful, what's your name again, sir?", she asked politely.
He laughed loudly, "It's Joe, there's no need for the sir", he was currently rummaging through some old bookcases in his hallway as they stood at his door. He pulled out some old tattered papers that hadn't aged well, they looked like they could fall apart any moment.
"Take them, I'm not sure if they'll help but it's worth a shot, now if you don't mind I have some new houses to plan out", he said before leaving quickly shutting the door abruptly.
Cassie raised an eyebrow looking at Zach and Orion at the action but just received a shrug, Adam was still in his own world so she left him to it as they walked back to the pack house letting her thoughts explode in the mean time. "You doing okay?", Tala asked quietly, "I know Leo got on your nerves, no wonder Asher and Leo are partnered together".
Cassie chuckled, "It's fine, I'm used to his shitty attitude as I'm sure you are too".
They both chuckled at their lack of an interesting mate but stopped when they realised their situation making them groan instead, Zach was right, their lives were a mess. They opened the door to their home before settling in the dining room to look over the blueprints together, "Okay these are not helpful at all. It's all nonsense!", Zach complained leaning back in his chair in defeat. Adam was still acting strangely and closely monitored each map, "Okay freak show what are you thinking about?", she questioned the idiot frowning constantly as he looked over the ancient scrolls of paper. He wouldn't answer and it looks like he didn't see everyone looking at him as if he grew a dick on his forehead, "Adam?", Leo asked walking in covered in sweat from his angst filled run.
Suddenly, Adam's face split into a huge smile, "I knew it made sense!".
Everyone frowned, even Emily who somehow entered the room unknowingly to the others, "Adam it looks like your brain has overheated".
She had a point, his face was flushed red, his smile was crazed and his hair made him look like he had a static shock.
"This whole time it's been right in our faces!", he shouted dashing out the room before running back with the map they found at the warehouse, "If you put this old map with this one it creates the EXACT same map as the one we found! They had a map of the tunnels! It's how they kept coming over to our borders without us noticing, they were underneath us the whole time!".
Cassie's jaw dropped along with everyone else's, except for Emily who smiled proudly at her surprisingly intelligent mate, "Adam. You're an actual genius", she complimented for the first time somehow making his smile even bigger and insane than it was before.

~

Please vote and comment as it really helps! 😊 Constructive criticism is also really useful and I'm always happy to improve and hear opinions. Let me know what you guys think and please follow my profile for notified updates 🥰

~