Chapter 15

Anxiety. Fury. Terror. The only emotions being felt by each person holding a heartbeat that knew about the current events. It had only been a few hours since the confrontation at the border and the pack was in a state of panic. Leo was storming around and barking out orders, Adam was running around trying to calm others whilst trying to contact other packs for their aid, Orion was patrolling nonstop around the borders whilst Cassie felt like a sitting duck.
"Leo please tell me if there's something I can do?", She pleaded as he paused for a breather from the chaos.
He groaned and rolled his eyes, "I'm not letting you near the borders, you need to stay here so I know where you are".
"Excuse me I'm not a dog", she snapped back making him raise his eyebrows in amusement at the comment, "You can't just tell me where I can be without my consent".
Zachary and Emily were watching from a distance afraid of the untamed emotions bouncing off the two. They warily looked at each other knowing they would need to break out more ice cream later on, it had been a long fucking day.
"If you really want to do something then let someone take you to the family houses with pups in, they could use some comforting", he sighs heavily admitting defeat - this time.
Curiosity hit her like a bus, the whole time she had been here she hadn't seen a single woman or pup and she felt stupid for only now realising this, "Where are they? I haven't met or even seen any women or pups since I got here".
Leo calls over Justin who just so happened to be walking past, he looked exhausted and although he didn't say it you could tell he was grateful for the break, "Take her to see Minnie, I'm sure she would appreciate the help", Leo asks before starting to walk off. He stops making Cassie frown but he turns to give her a speedy peck on the cheek before leaving making her blush crimson at the public display of affection. Before she knew it he was gone just as quickly as it had happened and she was left hearing Emily's squeals from behind her, she turned to see her bestie batting her eyelashes at the action but a panicked Adam came barging out of the main house, he looked directly at his crazy mate with worry but once he understood the situation he rolled his eyes and continued with his phone call with a very annoyed expression resting on his face. Emily blushes the same crimson red and Zach sighed, "I've had enough of all these suffocating hormones, can we go see this wonderful Minnie that we've been told about?", shoving his hands angrily in his pockets like the angsty teen he was. Justin chuckled and nodded, the all walked to the centre of the pack where Cassie hadn't yet ventured. The further in they got the more families she saw, worried mothers cradling pups as they tried to get them in the houses whilst their mates protect them at the borders. The idea of not knowing where your mate could be pinched Cassie's heart but thankfully Justin disturbed her thoughts, "We like to keep the families in the centre so at least if something happens such as an event like this they are as best protected as they can be", Justin says quietly as they approached a building with steam rolling out of a chimney. If she thought the main house was big she was very wrong, this brick building was huge and she felt like she was standing next to a skyscraper in New York not a pack house in the middle of the woods. The closer they approached the more shouting and pandemonium could be heard from inside the walls, Justin chuckled quietly as he walked on through the door.

~

Nothing prepared Cassie for what she saw when Justin opened the door. There were children - literally everywhere. Some were colouring on the floor, some running in between rooms like they were on cocaine and others were smearing paint on the walls. "Holy mother of -", Zach began before a small woman came barging in the room and if a look could kill then they were seeing it. The woman was a petite woman with pale skin but blazing hazel eyes, she gave the impression of a honey badger, looks cute but would rip your throat out if it got the chance. "Caden! Lulu! What did I say about the painting?!", she hollers with hands on her hips. The two little blonde haired creatures stared wide eyed knowing they were in deep shit, the little boy pushed, what Cassie presumed was his little sister, behind his back before looking down glumly at the floor, "Only do it in our rooms".
The angry woman who she assumed was Minnie tapped her foot impatiently, "What do we say when these things happen?".
Cassie heard a mumbled apology from them both making her smile smugly, the two reminded her of her and Zach when they were little causing mischief left right and centre. She looked behind her to see Zach already holding her gaze and she knew he was reminiscing the same as her. She turned back to see the children bolting up the stairs as if their lives depended on it and the legendary Minnie turned to face her guests with a tired expression, "Please tell me you're the reinforcements that Alpha Leo promised?".
Justin smiles and hugged the old woman, "I can't stay Mumma Minnie but these three offered to help, this is Emily, Zach and Zach's sister who is Cassandra". They all smiled at the woman who looked like she could burst with excitement, "You're the new Luna? Thank god, that Alpha needs SOMEONE to stick something up his ass to get him into gear". Cassie laughed warmly and nodded, "He said you could use the biggest hand, how can we help?".
Minnie sighed, "Well I just need a hand keeping some of the kids occupied whilst I attempt to make dinner, this is the house where any kids that are found out on missions are taken in and if they aren't reunited with any family members they stay here until they become of age and find their path in the pack so it can get very busy", she said with a wide smile, she obviously loved her role in the pack and Cassie already idolised her for it as it must take a lot of effort to look after all the bundles of crack filled children.
She smiled and hugged Cassie tightly, "It's so nice to meet you Luna but I'm afraid our chats will have to wait until dinner, would you mind going upstairs and checking on Cayden and Lulu? They're such rascals and I'm not fast enough to keep up".
Cassie nodded, "Is it okay if my brother comes with me?".
Minnie smiled, "Of course, plus you'll need the extra help. Mind if you come with me dear? I could use a hand in the kitchen", she asked looking at Emily who nodded eagerly. Anywhere where there was food, Emily was there after a sniff with her nose.