Chapter 9

"Zachary!", Cassie yelled before jumping and crushing him.
"Cass, I can't breathe although I appreciate the love", he said strained underneath her weight. She giggled - a foreign sound to Leo but one he enjoyed massively, he hoped one day he could have this effect on her as well.
Zach couldn't stop looking at his sister and she couldn't stop looking at him, they couldn't quite believe the other was there.
"I can't believe you're okay, they told me everyone died....", he said quietly leaning his forehead against hers.
"... They did.... Leo and his pack saved me", she said glancing back at her mate.
Zach immediately frowned and wrapped his arm around Cassie tighter, "And why would he do that, hm?".
Cassie rolled her eyes, "Easy brother, he's my mate. He didn't have to help".
Zach narrowed his eyes, "He only helped because you were his mate, he probably would've finished you off if you weren't".
"Speak for yourself, the Midnight pack has been an ally for decades, plus I wouldn't do that to anyone who didn't deserve it, I'm not a monster", Leo snarled.
Zach scoffed, "That not what I've heard, Rivers", Leo stiffened and he eyed Cassie carefully as she became confused.
"What do you mean?", she asked confused.
"Yeah Rivers, what do I mean?", Zach said clearly annoyed.
Leo glared at Zach, Cassie had a feeling that this bad blood shit was going to go on for a while and they had only just met.
"Leo would you mind if I talk to this asshole alone?", Cassie asked politely.
He just nodded and swiftly left the room obviously pissed off with the disrespect Zach was giving him, she would need to thank him later for keeping his cool.
"He's a charmer", Zach said annoyed.
She narrowed her eyes at him before punching his arm, "You're such a prick!".
"He's a bad guy, Cassie. What are you thinking?", he exclaimed.
"He's my mate! I'm not going to leave him!", she shouted back.
"Do you have any idea what you've got yourself into? You have no idea who these people are, especially him!", he shouted but winced due to his back pain.
She sighed deeply pinching the bridge of her nose, "I couldn't care what you think of him right now.... I'm just glad you're okay. But where the hell were you?! You had me worried sick!".
He scrunched his face, "I was out doing something".
"Or someone?".
"Shut up, Cass".
She rolled her eyes, "I'd ask what happened but I know Leo wants to know".
"Not surprising, he already gives me an uneasy vibe, I'm worried about you and what you have been doing with him", he said quietly.
She crossed her arms, "So that's what this is about? You're worried he's going to hurt me?".
He rolled his eyes, "In my eyes Cass nobody is good enough for you. You're my sister and I want what's best for you and I know he's not it".
"I won't know what's best for me until I try the relationship with him, you are the one that told me to try trusting people and I have done and these people have let me in and helped me. Surely that doesn't make them bad".
Zach just groaned and leaned his head back, "I hate when you're right about everything", he said making her chuckle. She leaned her head gently on his chest listening to his heart beat, realising she nearly lost him, "Honestly though.... I'm glad you're with me. I was so worried about you and where you were".
He started to gently stroke her hair, "I don't want to talk about it, I want to forget that anything ever happened..... I'm not sure if I even want to know... what happened to mum and dad....", he said barely a whisper.
She nuzzled in close, "I think we should just be in this moment.... we can talk about it another time. I just want to enjoy being back with my brother for now".
He kissed her forehead and they closed their eyes together enjoying the fact they were finally in each other's company.

~

Leo was frustrated, he was trying his best to keep Asher at bay but the disrespect Zach was giving was unacceptable. "I don't care if he is our mate's brother, I want him to understand who we are", Asher snarled. "And he will... just not right now. Cassie is more important, Asher". Asher just internally growled but continued to bother Leo for the rest of the day. He had left the siblings to reconcile and tended to his duties as Alpha. He was currently sat behind his desk glaring at annoying papers from other packs about peace treaties but he couldn't get Cassie out of his head, he was frustrated and needed to relax and she was what he needed to stay calm but he didn't want to bother her. A knock on the door disturbed his thoughts of his beautiful blonde, "Hey Leo, you alright?", Adam said entering the office. Although Adam is annoying the majority of the time... he was his oldest and most trusted friend. "I hate Cassie's brother", he growled, "He's such a disrespectful little shit".
Adam smirked and burst into laughter, "Really? You're annoyed at a 16 year old kid?".
Leo growled deeply, "Don't test me Beta I don't have the patience".
Adam just rolled his eyes and sat back in the chair opposite, "Of course he's going to disrespect you, you're a threat to his sister, his only family left".
It was now Leo's turn to roll his eyes, "How am I a threat?".
Adam ran a hand over his face, "Well dickface, it's just them left, you have the ability to take her away from him and kick him out of the pack lands making him a rogue. You can do whatever you want and because he has no ranking over you, he's powerless".
Leo frowned, honestly he could be such an egotistical jerk and Asher didn't help the situation.
"What should I do?", he said annoyed.
"Talk to Zach alone and explain you're not going to take her away from him and that family is just as important", Adam said like it was easy.
"Yeah but if he hurts her I won't hesitate to kill him", he grumbled.
Adam sighed and stood up, "Look, they're siblings! They probably fight all the time! Stop being a jealous asshole and learn to share. Anyway, I only came to say goodbye as I'm off to visit the annoying pack that won't leave us alone".
Leo chuckled, "The one in Miami? Good luck with that".
Adam groaned, "I was hoping to annoy Cassie with Zach when he woke up but I guess not. See you in a few days". Leo was alone again with his thoughts and angry wolf, he sighed knowing what he had to do but it meant he had to bury his pride - which Asher could never do. Lord have mercy on him.

~

Zach and Cassie had been chilling in the hospital all day, Dr Ben had been coming in to check on Zach every few hours but now he was awake and able to eat, he gained strength and with that he was starting to heal a lot faster which meant he could get up and meet the pack tomorrow which Cassie was looking forward to.
"So this Adam guy, is he better than me?", Zach said with a pout.
Cassie giggled, "Of course not, but he's a close second. You'll like Orion too, he's funny but is a lot calmer and very smart".
"Sounds like you haven't been doing too bad here then, I'm glad you've been looked after", he said as they smiled at each other.
"Ahem...", someone coughed at the door, they were so caught up in chatting they didn't hear Leo come in.
"Hey", Cassie smiled.
Leo nodded his head and had a ghost of a smile on his lips, she could see he was annoyed but didn't want to push it with Zach here.
"Mind if I talk to Zach alone?", Leo said politely.
Cassie smiled in surprise, "Sure! Come get me when you're done?", she said hopping off the bed.
He nodded with a bigger smile, "I think Orion is upstairs in the kitchen if you wanted to go see him".
She kissed Zach on the head making Leo growl quietly, Zach scoffed and Cassie laughed. Her boys were funny and she loved Zach, maybe she was starting to feel love for Leo too? Who knew. After she left the boys were left in an awkward silence, "Look Zach, I just want to explain something".
"No, you aren't keeping me from her".
Leo chuckled, "I'm not taking her away dumbass, family is important and I'm not taking away the only stable thing she has left".
Zach raises his eyebrows, "Yeah? How do I know you're not just saying that until you have her wrapped around your finger and mate with her then just kill me to get me out of the picture?".
Leo frowned, "Why do you think I'm going to kill you? You really think I'm going to kill you when I hardly know you".
Zach laughed but Leo sensed there was no humour in it, "There are rumours that you slaughtered a family... including the children...".
Leo froze, "Where have you heard these rumours?".
Zach smirked, "See? You're not as perfect as she thinks you are. I know you killed that family without hesitation".
"You know nothing about what happened, kid. I came here to make peace, but I won't sit here and listen to your accusations", Leo growled.
"If you don't tell her I will", Zach threatened.
"Tell me what?", a confused Cassie said from the door making Leo whip around in a panic.

~

Lol have fun with that cliff hanger. What do you think happened? Please vote, comment and follow me for notified updates!

~