Chapter 25

Only five more chapters of this book left to go before I start planning the sequel or the spin off, I haven't decided which yet. This chapter switches between people's POV so I hope it's not confusing 😊

~

What the fuck was he supposed to do? The chances of them now making it out of these tunnels alive was next to nothing, he had disappointed his Alpha and Luna with this mission and he couldn't comfort his mate, he was a fucking failure and a shit excuse for a wolf let alone a Beta.
"Leo? Can you hear me?", Adam futilely called into the pack link. He needed help, his mate was screaming, bodies were in front of them and any rogues nearby would be alerted already.
"I'm here, what's the matter?", Leo replied although he was quiet meaning the distance between them was enough to stretch the link, "I need your help, we found Emily's parents, it's not good. She's screaming bloody murder, we're vulnerable and I don't want any ambushes down in this hell", Adam begged as his mate clung onto him for dear life as she cried.
"I'm coming, it might take me a while to find you unless you can- " ,but before he could finish the pack link went quiet succumbing to the strain of talking over such a distance.
This literally couldn't get any worse and he didn't know what to do, he decided to pick up Emily and instructed the boys to cover over the bodies with their emergency blankets to take them back to the pack, she would never forgive him for leaving their bodies behind. Emily gratefully cuddled into his arms as she began to sob quietly into his chest, it was the first time she had shown him real affection but he couldn't appreciate it due to the circumstances, he just couldn't win. Emily clung to him like it was her last moment of life, her body was rippling with pain and sadness consumed her thoughts. Adam cradled Emily with care and as much love as he could muster for her, he had started the journey back whilst half the boys stayed with the bodies and the other half followed Adam in hopes of meeting up with their Alpha. Being a Beta of a pack he had seen his fair share of traumatic events but seeing your own parents deceased in such a state had to do something to the mind, he knew his strong minded mate would be okay, it was just a matter of how long it was going to take before she could continue living her life to the full. All he knew was that he would do everything in his power to make sure she was okay and that she felt supported and loved throughout the ordeal. But running with a woman in his arms wasn't as easy as he thought it would be even with his werewolf strength, he could feel his boys behind him but he was starting to slow with physical exhaustion. Emily tried to pull away, "Adam... it's okay I can walk", she mumbled with silent tears flowing down her cheeks. He shook his head, "I don't want you pushing yourself now isn't the time".
She pushed herself out of his secure arms and wiped her face before she started to shift, sighing he followed suit as did the others, although he didn't want her to become more fatigued, becoming wolves was much easier than trying to traverse such a distance as humans.
Adam had brought the map with him to give back to Leo when they came across them so they could go get the bodies but he was slightly worried they would risk turning down somewhere when Adam had just run straight until they located the warehouse. All they could do now was hope.

~

"I have to go help them, something happened and it's not good", Leo said kissing Cassie's forehead before rushing out the door but not before she followed him.
"I'm coming too", she stated catching up with him.
He turned and shook his head, "I need you to stay here and look after the pack with Orion, like you said less people down there the better. I don't want the Alpha, Beta and Luna possibly heading into a trap that's just a bad idea", he said pleading with her before she reluctantly agreed and hugged him tightly. Leo pulled away and kissed her head once more before grabbing three warriors to join him in the tunnels, "Has anyone heard from them again?", but they shook their heads worriedly. Leo just sighed before shifting and running down into the tunnels hurriedly, "If you can hear me Adam, I'm on my way, stay safe", he called into the mind link but heard no reply making him worry more. His Beta was smart and strong but it was unlike him to sound so shaken and ask for help, he was more independent than people thought but Emily has had an effect on him in ways Leo couldn't understand. Every mate reacts differently to finding their true loves but Adam and Emily had a rocky start and this couldn't be a worse situation for them both to be dealing with, he hoped they would come out of this stronger but there was no way of knowing how it was going to turn out. After running for a short while panic started to set in at how quiet the tunnels were considering the circumstances, he hadn't come across Adam yet either making the situation all the more uncertain although there were patches of his scent that he could pick up but it was very faint.
"Adam? Can you hear me?", he asked through the link and felt some pressure in his head in response meaning they were getting closer and Adam was starting to focus more on the link.
"Don't worry Alpha, we will get to him", one of the warriors said through the link as they ran through the tunnels.
"Leo? You there?", Adam asks but very faintly, "I'm right here Adam, where are you?".
"We are running towards you I think, did you go directly forwards the whole time? That's the way we went", he comments.
"We did, I picked up your scent slightly but it drops in and out. I thought it might be risky if we tried to weave through tunnels so we stayed on one path. How's Emily?", he asks gently.
Luckily, you can isolate mind links with wolves when needed so she couldn't hear them talk, "She's.... okay. Better than before but still not good. She's running next to me and hasn't left my side so I guess that's a positive".
"That's slightly good to hear, when I meet up with you I'll send the warriors I'm with to help the others being the bodies back if it's a simple route and they are unbothered by rogues".
"Okay, I'll see you soon I guess, I don't think we are far apart now", he says quietly and Leo could hear the exhaustion in his voice.
"Just hang in there Adam, I'll be there soon", he tried to reassure him but he knew it meant nothing right now.
The link went quiet after that before they eventually met up, nobody shifted back and the boys carried on running after they met up with Adam and Emily, Emily's wolf looked solemn and tired as she leaned against Adam for support who looked just as tired as he tried to stay strong for her. Leo turned and nodded his head towards where he came from to indicate he was leaving to go home, Emily's wolf sighed and started to trot before setting a pace home, Adam rubbed his face on Leo's showing he was grateful for his friend's show in support and understanding. Running home they stayed close as a unit, like a family depending on each other for survival and love, just like it should be.

~

They had been back for a few hours and Leo was still sleeping on Cassie's stomach, her fingers were laced through his luscious locks as he snored softly whilst bathing in her scent and company. She was desperate to check on her best friend but Adam advised against it, the first thing Emily did was shut herself in her room and only allowed Adam in. At this point she knew the only thing Cassie could do was put her faith in Adam to help Em, he cheered Cassie up and brought her out of her shell when she first arrived and if anyone could make Emily smile again - it was him. The warriors had returned with her parents bodies and were being kept safe in the hospital, Doc had taken a look at their bodies and did a post mortem even though they knew the cause of death... but he found they had been tortured for days, weeks even before they were released from their pain and misery. Since Leo was asleep Doc informed Cassie first to see when or if Emily should be told but for now she decided against it, she wouldn't hide it from her, if she asked she would be told but it wasn't something she was going to bring up. Cassie had assumed Emily knew what the most likely outcome was of her parents fate but she didn't blame her for holding onto the glimmer of hope that someone from our pack survived. On top of all that, they didn't get attacked once during the mess in the tunnels, surely the rogue pack must've known they were there especially from the fact that Emily had apparently been screaming. It was all too unclear and worrying for the pack to have to deal with. Rolling over with a loud groan Leo's eyes fluttered open from his sleep and smiled as he laid them on his mates face, she smiled back warmly and went to hold him close. She leaned her head against his chest and listened to his heart beat softly under his muscles, "I just want to say that I'm glad I have you and that were are able to rely on each other like this. I'm so grateful for you", she mumbled quietly.
Wrapping his arms around Cassie he lifted her so she rested on his hips and he cradled her whilst peppering kisses across her hair line, "I love you", he whispered making her eyes fly open. She looked up timidly to see his pearly whites shining, she tilted her head to tenderly kiss his scar that laced his neck, "I love you too, Alpha".

~

THEY ARE SO CUTE. (sorry I had to get that out...) Please vote and comment as it really helps! 😊 Constructive criticism is also really useful for me to improve and I'm always happy to hear opinions. Please follow my profile for notified updates and share the story around if you can 🥰

~