Chapter 18

Using Tala's eyes, Cassie was able to adjust to the darkness as she walked through the metal door. She could see silhouettes of tables and chairs but nothing other than that, it looked like some sort of break room but luckily there were no rogues in the room. Emily walked over to a chair and quietly snapped part of the leg to keep the door open, "Got to make sure we have an escape if needed", she whispered. She may be all smiles and clumsiness the majority of the time but she was more intelligent than people knew. Slowly they began making their way through the break room and found two doors, "Should we separate or stay together Luna?", the Shadow pack warrior asked. She paused for a moment before answering, "Separate into two groups, you take Emily with you so we can keep communication. Don't separate into anything smaller. Remember that it's safety in numbers", She responded quietly before moving to the right door. Emily stood in front of the left and smiled before slipping through, after waiting for the rest of her warriors to go through Cassie began to hear commotion from their door. Taking a deep breath and making sure the Moonlight pack warrior was behind her so she knew she was protected from behind. He nodded towards her making her turn the door handle, it lead to an empty corridor taking them to the opposite direction from where Emily had gone to. There were so many doors, they were countless and she had no idea where to start showing it was going to be a long night. Entering the first door on her left she came face to face with three of the biggest rogues she had ever seen, her eyes widened as they all stood in shock at the other's presence, in the next second chaos occurred, the rogues lunged for her but due to her small frame she ducked under one of their arms and twisted it behind their back, another managed to pin her against the wall but a warrior tackled him to the ground releasing Cassie to go help a warrior fighting the third guy. She saw a knife at the back of the rogue's belt and reached for it before stabbing him in his jugular. By the time the rogue fell the warriors had killed the other two and were piling them in a corner out the way. So far so good with no injuries; taking deep breaths they looked through the room but came up with nothing.
"How are you guys doing?", Cassie asks reaching out to Emily.
"Okay so far, we have one warrior with a dislocated arm but he should be good, I popped it back for him", she replied wearily, "There are many rooms and we have only searched a few, I'll update you if something happens", she says before cutting off the link.
After clearing the room making sure nothing was in there of value they moved onto the next room and found themselves in the same scenario. And the next. And the next. Slowly, the warriors and Cassie were growing tired from the fighting and felt like they were in Groundhog Day, she knew they had to push through the exhaustion if they were to find answers. They were nearing the end of the corridor when they started to hear growls and bones breaking from above them, "It's Adam and Sam's team", the Shadow pack warrior said from behind her, "He says they've encountered at least 10 rogues and are struggling but Leo is heading there to help". She nodded absorbing the information before moving on, they couldn't worry about the others right now, the last door turned out to be a staircase which they started to head up pass the madness that was occurring around them.
"Leah says she's found the basement and has found some young werewolves being held captive. They are heading back to the cars as we speak", the Moonlight warrior said quietly as they scaled the stairs.
"Hopefully they should know something but even if we don't find anything else or they know nothing at least we've saved some lives today", she said hopefully sparking energy in the group for the first time since they got in the cars and left the pack. Reaching the top floor she kicked the door down revealing a conference room, "Why is there a conference room in a warehouse?", Tala questions cautiously. "I'm not sure but at least we know this place is used regularly. There must be something in here of use", she responded.
"Start searching through the room, something is bound to be here", Cassie commanded before she started rummaging through the drawers under the table.

~

"Luna! I found something!", someone called from the back of the room, people rushed over to find a big map. It wasn't of an area or blueprints of any kind, in fact she had no idea what it was.
"Does anyone have any idea what this is?", she asks but multiple "no"s were being murmured so she folded and tucked it down the back of her shirt to keep it safe. "We will take it with us, someone at the pack or one of the rescued wolves might know what it is. Is there any update on the others?", she hadn't heard from Leo which was making her worry slightly. It was probably a bad idea to go on a mission with your mate but she didn't care. She wanted to be involved and she was glad he let her without protest for once.
"Leo's and Adam's teams have cleared the rest of the middle floor, one of the warriors with Miss Emily have said they have swept the lower floors. It's just us left to clear out this floor before we leave and burn the warehouse", a warrior says in response. She nodded and they formulated a plan to quickly clear out the top floor before reinforcements arrive, they must have suspicions since they wouldn't have heard from the warehouse in a while. Working collectively the team swept through the rest of the rooms but came up empty handed, exhausted but satisfied they went down the stairs and came face to face with Leo. He smiled widely and hugged her tight causing her to jump in surprise at the contact, "We have a few wounded but we are okay. We did it", he said happily in her ear before pulling away. They smiled warmly at each other and warriors were congratulating each other in relief, "Let's head to the cars and get home so we can debrief safely, reinforcements could be here any minute", Cassie's says walking out the back doors hand in hand with Leo.
"Adam and Orion are chucking some gasoline down in the basement and he will light it once we leave and we know everyone is in the clear", he informed. Cassie nodded, "I'm surprised Orion and Adam are working together without arguing", she said laughing. He smiled, "They do actually work together well it's why they are the Beta and Gamma. They just like to annoy each other", he said before quickly pecking her on the cheek before splitting off to go to his car. Cassie hopped in her car and waited for Emily, the other warriors jumped in the back of the car and drew out long breaths before leaning back against the seats obviously wanting a nap.
Emily came around the corner and Cassie saw she had blood dripping down her temple, seeing the worry in Cassie's eyes Emily just waved it off claiming she was fine. After ensuring everyone was ready to leave they all headed off back to the pack with flames from the warehouse flickering through the night behind them.

~

Upon pulling up at the pack, families streamed out of the houses to see their family members. Hugs and kisses were dished out to loved ones making Cassie smile warmly. She scanned the crowd and her eyes fell on her brother running towards her with open arms before colliding with her lifting her into his arms, "I'm so glad you're okay, you were gone for hours it's almost morning, I couldn't sleep", he said rambling on into her neck. He held her tightly against his chest and she lifted her head to kiss his cheek, she loved her brother but she knew she made the right choice in making him stay so she could fight without any distractions. She knew he could've handled himself but she found it difficult to concentrate if she felt like she was babysitting him.
"All is good and we didn't come back empty handed", she said in his ear. He pulled back and smiled, "I know, Doc is down in the hospital with the wounded. We lost one on the way but the others look like they'll pull through".
Cassie nodded sadly before pulling out the map from behind her, "We also found this".
He frowned, "What is it?".
She laughed dryly, "I have absolutely no idea. We need to get back to the pack house so we can all talk together".
He nodded and they headed back to their new home holding hands. Leo was walking behind them talking to his boys excitedly like children and Emily walked behind with Adam trying to help her with her head injury but to no avail. Cassie chuckled, that boy was not going to give up but it would take him a while to get through her hard exterior.
They all piled into the living room falling into the comfort of the sofas, Justin and Charlie came in panting hard from running to the pack house from the borders they were patrolling, they patted the boys on the back before sitting down with them all.
Cassie put the map down on the table, "My team found this in some sort of conference room on the top floor. I can't figure out what it is but it's some sort of map", she opened it for all to see and they all leaned in with puzzled faces.
"Does anyone have any idea what it is?", Leo asks the group but everyone shook their heads.
"Maybe it's some sort of transport route and that's why we can't recognise it?", Zach asks questioning.
Leo looked deep in thought, "Justin, you're the best with technology, can you take the map and do some research and see what you can dig up?". The guy nodded and took the map before leaving the pack house, everyone leant back and sighed enjoying the moment of peace. It was quiet for a few minutes before Emily spoke up, "I think we should order a takeaway and have a slumber party in here". They all broke into large smiles and ran to get in their pjs whilst Emily ordered pizza. The group all cuddled up on the sofas in front of the fireplace and TV whilst watching crappy Disney movies and munching on their favourite junk foods. Cassie caught Leo's eyes from across the sofa where she was cuddling with her brother, they smiled softly at each other and for the first time since the slaughter.... she felt like she had a family again.

~

Please vote and comment as it motivates massively! I hope you like this format for the chapters, it's what it was supposed to look like from the beginning and when this chapter is published I will go and edit the chapters which might give you notifications that might confuse some but it's just so they all have the same format so I'm sorry in advance if people get confused. But anyway, as always please follow my profile for notified updates my chickens 🥰

~