Chapter 22

"Hey firecracker", Cassie heard in her mind making her face split into the widest most joyful smile in the world.
"You sound so much softer in my head", she cooed moving closer to him.
They leaned in closer and someone cleared their throat from behind them making them jump in surprise from the interruption. Looking around Cassie realised suddenly where they were and she blushed ferociously at the near display of attention in public, "It's bad enough knowing you're mates I don't want to see you make out", Zach grumbled with an eye roll.
Cheers erupted throughout the pack as they now had their official Luna and new pack members, although some members were visibly happier about this than others. The elders gracefully made their way back to their homes as the celebrations started, someone lit a campfire and a barbecue was started as warm laughter filled the air. Zach found some of the warrior boys by the fire and started chatting with them happily and Justin joined in with them; Cassie was glad Zach was finally making friends.
"I think we should go for a another walk in the woods, a proper one this time", Leo said holding Cassie's hands whilst looking lovingly into her eyes.
"I think I'd like that, as long as Asher keeps in it his figurative pants I'm sure Tala will put up with it", she said nervously making her way into the trees with her mate by her side.
"I wouldn't bet on that", Tala groans annoyed. This was not going to be good. She hoped she would just be civil and make peace although knowing Tala... that wasn't going to happen as she was more stubborn than Cassie but she still hoped.
Spring was coming quickly and more flowers were blossoming by the minute, primroses, lilies and tulips flowered in the clearing that was giving Cassie a state of Deja Vu.
"Are you ready?", Leo says backing away to undress.
She nods but moves away behind a tree, she wasn't ready for that yet which she made very clear. She re-emerged as her grey wolf shaking her nervousness away as she approached the Alpha.
"Hello beautiful", Asher said in her head. His voice was much deeper than Leo's and rougher making him sound like a true warrior.
"Hello overachiever", Tala says mockingly.
Asher growls lowly, "Easy, don't want to provoke the Alpha now do we?".
Tala chuckles, "Please, the best Alpha's rule with respect not out of fear asshole", she said before turning and jogging away proudly.
She heard a whine from behind her as she reached the edge of the clearing and entered through the towering trees, "I'm sorry beautiful, please can we talk it through Tala", Asher pleads with his mate who doesn't give a shit what he thinks.
She just huffs and carries on jogging until she can hear the trickling of water in the distance, Asher was moodily trailing behind her but knew if he carried on talking it wouldn't do much good so left her to roam in her own head through the forest.
Reaching the river she watched fish splash around navigating the harsh currents, she decided to try and play with the fish to keep herself occupied, it was funny watching them flop around trying avoid her paws.
Asher watched his pretty mate play with fish in amusement, she gave herself a defensive persona but she was actually quite childlike and playful. He enjoyed seeing her relax, Tala was a strong wolf but she needed to realise it was okay to have fun sometimes and he was going to make sure that happened.

~

Asher had disappeared a while ago leaving her to herself which she was grateful for but she couldn't help wonder what he was doing. He shouldn't be left alone unsupervised with the lack of IQ he acquires. Tala had grown tired of messing with the fish so she decided to take a nap on a mossy rock by the rivers edge, it had been a while since she had relaxed under mother nature's watchful eye. Spreading her limbs out over the boulder she felt her joints popping and cracking from the lack of peaceful slumber she had been desperate of since her fight weeks ago at her pack. Sleep was the best remedy for pain so closing her eyes she let herself succumb to nature's sounds, the birds tweeting as they scaled heights she could only dream of reaching. Listening to the branches of trees wrestle with each other fighting for growth and rocks tumbling over each other in the rushing waters of the river. The longer she listened the heavier her limbs felt as she fell deeper into a sleep, being free as her wolf was a calming feeling. As a human she felt restricted and vulnerable but as a wolf she was strong, fearless and someone capable of defending herself making her feel invincible against the dangers of the world. That was until she was nearly slaughtered along with her family and pack, now she didn't know what to feel since recovering, Tala's pride had been hurt and humiliation was seriously apparent in her mind. Part of her didn't want to get close to Asher in fear of him disapproving of her strength and rejecting her as his Luna. But then again why would he do the initiation ceremony if he wasn't serious? Life was confusing. Leaves softly crunching and padded footsteps disrupted Tala from her thoughts as she peered from under her hooded eye lids at the approaching figure. Asher's chocolate figure came plodding to her holding something in his mouth she couldn't quite make out, she sat up on her back paws waking herself up so she could see him clearly, unbeknownst to her he had gone searching for her favourite flowers, Primroses, he overheard the little orphans mentioning that they were her favourite and it was her own personal way of people saying sorry. Tala managed a small smile at her mate, he dropped the flowers at her feet and looked up with his big puppy eyes which she couldn't resist, for a moment she put on a fake angry expression but she saw the sadness in his yellow orbs, she felt her heart pang and she licked his snout in thank you for the flowers and his gesture. He smiled proudly and stood up straight and broad as his apology was accepted, he was finally doing right by his mate and planning to keep it that way.
"It's nice to see you smile at me rather than grimace", he said cringing slightly in her head.
She chuckled in their minds, "I thought it might be a good change, you know live a little?".
He raised his eyebrow, "Live a little? How about we go for a little hunt? Give your legs a stretch and maybe I won't make you run away from me this time".
"Deal".

~

The hunt was actually a lot more fun than Cassie and Tala thought it would be, they caught a few rabbits, shared a deer, Tala finally felt like they bonded with Leo and Asher even if it was in the form of a hunt. Now they were laying in bed trying to sleep after a long day, it was early hours of the morning and Leo was flat out with his drooling face in the pillow. He was completely vulnerable and adorable but she genuinely thought he would killer for saying that. Cassie was too lost in thought to get some sleep, her mind was all over the place as well as her priorities. Being in the pack was amazing and she felt at home but it was like she was forgetting about her true purpose the more she fell in love with Leo. She hadn't found her parents murderers, she had no plan and she had roped her only pack members left to join a random pack they had hardly any time knowing. Cassie felt awful and guilty for her actions, starting tomorrow she was going to plan going back home to see what was left, she needed to plan burials for her pack and Emily still hadn't found her parents who were still mysteriously missing. Her whole life became a cluster fuck of a mess and she didn't know how to fix it, no matter how hard she tried. She tried getting some sleep but an unsettled feeling washed over her, her spine felt cold and the house got even quieter which was impossible seeing as everyone else was asleep already and had been for hours. Cassie rested her hand on Leo's back gently shaking him awake, his eyes fluttered open and he went to loop his arm around Cassie before she stopped him with her panicked expression. He went to sit up quickly as he became alert but she hushed him and motioned for him to listen instead.
"Can you feel that too? Somethings not right", she said unsure.
"How long ago did you start to feel like this?", he asked patiently but worried.
"Only moments ago, I woke you straight away".
He nodded and began to slowly move out of the bed, he skipped over certain floorboards which she assumed were squeaky to get to the door, glass smashing made them both dash for the door and sprint to the top of the stairs. Adam tumbled out of his bedroom door with a bewildered expression, "Where you two having some amazing sex or something?", he asked rubbing his eyes but was left dumbfounded as they sighed and ran downstairs to find the source of the noise.
"What's going on?", Zach called from upstairs but again was ignored as Cassie and Leo approached the living room. A chilling breeze began to spread through the house and moonlight illuminated the room, Leo entered first not wanting Cassie to take the first blow if there was anyone still here but due to the noise the boys made it was unlikely. Cassie followed close behind and saw the window broken on the front side of the house, it was easy for someone to open the floor to ceiling window that lead onto the patio if it was broken. The door was useful for the summer to let air in but right now it was a recipe for disaster. She needed to have a serious talk with the architect of the pack, these continuous shitty events were getting ridiculous.
"There's blood all over the floor, who ever it is will be easy to track from here", he said.
"Orion get all the warriors searching the grounds, someone broke in and I want them found", Leo commanded through the pack link. She heard someone leave the house which must have been Orion, "What happened?", Emily asked entering the room before Adam pulled her back from standing on the glass.
"Someone broke in, we think they left as soon as they heard Adam", Cassie explained.
"You think?", Zach questioned unsure.
Everyone was quiet for a moment in realisation, "Everyone needs to stay in the kitchen, I'll get warriors to search the house", Leo instructed as they all left to get some well needed coffee.

~

Please vote and comment as it's so motivating for me 😊 Constructive criticism is really useful. I'm always happy to improve and hear opinions. Let me know what you guys think and please follow my profile for notified updates 🥰

~