Chapter 20

We are two thirds of the way through the first book 😱 Get ready because it's going to be a rollercoaster ride. 🤭

~

Cassie thought she had said enough goodbyes but here she was saying goodbye to two people who had become her really good friends. Sam was leaning against their car and Leo was chatting to him quietly whilst the girls embraced tightly. "Let me know when you get home safe and keep me updated everyday", Cassie said gripping Leah's shoulders tightly. Leah chuckled and moved Cassie's hair out of her face before kissing her on the cheek, "Stay safe, Cassie. I'll see you soon", she said skipping over to the car before hugging Leo goodbye. Leah had been bouncing around with excitement since they started packing, she couldn't wait to get back and see her pack children that she had missed dearly. She had confided in Cassie that she was infertile and was dying to adopt but they had been waiting for the right time to adopt and with the current situation happening they had to wait even longer. Cassie watched with a saddened expression as they pulled away and she stayed standing in her spot as they drove off into the distance, Leah had become an elderly sister figure and she felt like she wasn't the responsible one. She felt reassured that she could relax knowing someone else was in charge but now it was up to her again leaving the weight of the world on her shoulders.
"Are you okay, firecracker?", Leo asks resting his arm around her shoulder kissing her temple.
"Yeah, it's just going to be a lot harder without having them around", she said leaning into his support.
"It's okay, they're just a phone call away, try and focus on the positive things like our double date tonight", he said smiling before guiding her into the house.
Suddenly, she was being held up against the wall and his lips crashed against hers, she moaned slightly at the sudden intensity of the kiss. The spontaneity of their relationship made it really exciting during the times of pain they had been experiencing but these moments of privacy were so rare that it was getting harder to resist each other without holding onto each other in some way. They pulled apart reluctantly and leaned their foreheads against each other as they caught their breaths, "This needs to happen more often", Leo chuckled as he kissed her freckled nose making her chuckle with him.
The door opened with a loud creak showing their best friends ogling them awkwardly, "I'm sorry we didn't mean to interrupt", Emily said backing out but Adam grabbed her wrist and pulled her back in the corridor even with the angry scowl she was giving him at the skin contact.
"Emily came to find Cassie so they could find some clothes for tonight", Adam explained with a joyous face, probably due to the fact Emily agreed to be in his presence for more than two minutes.
Leo backed away allowing Cassie to take Emily away to the mysterious room she always get their clothes from, the girls left the boys chatting in the corridor as they ventured through the house. Cassie glanced back at Emily with her face covered in exhaustion, "What's the matter, Em?".
She shook her head, "Nothing, let's just find something to wear", she said brushing it off. Cassie would get her to talk one way or another, she didn't like knowing she was dealing with things by herself, mental isolation from others was a dangerous game to play. Opening the door Emily's eyes widened slightly at the surprising decor, "Who's room is this?".
"It's Leo's sister's, he hasn't spoken to me about it but I'm not going to push. He can tell me when he's ready", Cassie says quietly opening the wardrobe.
Emily nodded and looked down feeling bad for asking personal questions before looking up and seeing the extensive wardrobe collection this girl had, "Moon goddess.... even I don't have a big ass wardrobe like this!", she says excitedly running to a dress she spotted immediately. Cassie laughed, she normally hated playing dress up but this time.... she had a reason to that would make her happy to do so.

~

"Leo's eyes are going to fall out of his head", Emily giggles wearing a turquoise mini dress and black heels which she fell in love with as soon as she saw them. She tried on over 20 outfits but still chose the first outfit she saw - and that was why Cassie hated dress up. Emily forced Cassie into a black and gold one shoulder jumpsuit with flat shoes to match, it was a killer look she had to admit but she wasn't sure she could pull it off. Emily told her to stop whining and enjoy the nice clothes whilst they had the chance. They spent the evening giggling, talking about boys and getting ready for their date, Emily wouldn't admit it but she's evidently excited for it. When the boys came knocking for them the energy was flying around the room, smiles were plastered on their faces and when the boys walked in their hearts stopped. Leo was dressed in a buttoned black shirt with his sleeves rolled up and matching dress trousers, he smiled cockily as he saw Cassie drooling over his look which had obviously got her approval.
"Hello beautiful ladies, are you ready for the best night of your lives?", Adam asked leaning against the door frame. Emily rolled her eyes nonchalantly but she still had her dazzling smile on her face meaning she was enjoying herself already especially with the fact Adam was wearing a white long sleeve in black trousers bottoms, he cleaned up nicely for the pack's pain in the ass. Leo held his hand out for Cassie to take which she took gladly and as always the contact was electrifying. Continuous ripples of pleasure travelled up her arm as they held each other's hands tightly, she was really starting to warm up to the idea of having a mate, plus his behaviour had improved massively since she met him even with the current situation, he was keeping his temper in check - for her. Almost as if reading her thoughts he turned to look at her in the eye as they approached the car with a twinkle in his eyes. She leaned up to kiss him on the cheek but he twisted his head so she smashed down onto his lips instead making them both groan at the action. During the make out session they completely forget their best friends looking on in disgust, "Hey either get in the car so we can go for our date or go get a room and mark each other already!", Adam shouted hopping into the back of the truck.
Cassie pulled away with wide eyes from embarrassment, she looked up at her green eyed beauty that was her mate and took deep breaths to calm her increasing heart rate. Marking each other wasn't on her mind right now, she had many more important things to think about such as the rogue pack and hopefully one day having a funeral for her parents and pack that were left behind just to name a few. Although the idea of being marked made her body all hot and bothered as she sat in the front passenger seat as Leo started the car. He peered over at her with the slightest smirk on his face, he knew what she was thinking.... It was going to be a long date.

~

The doorbell dinged as they entered the diner, it was reasonably busy but not to the point where it was loud and bustling with voices, just how Cassie liked it. They were shown to a booth and familiarity started to set in, memories of her family going to their local diner for a family treat whilst tormenting each other with crude jokes and getting disgusted looks from other members of the public. Or when she and the other pack kids would go to a party and end up just hanging out with Emily and Zach anyway. Her heart yearned for those memories but she knew with her new family that they would create new memories for her to hold on to. Ones to cover up the horror that she had been living and so she could move on from the murder of her parents and the loss of major parts of her life.
"Hey you okay?", Emily nudged her with creases in her brows.
She nods and picks up the menu to distract herself from her thoughts as emily watched on with curiosity, they ordered after a few minutes but Cassie couldn't help noticing how the young blonde waitress stared at her man. She felt her eyes glow slightly and tilted her head down to avoid eye contact, she felt electricity running up her forearm that was holding the hand above her face with. She instantly calmed knowing Leo was showing her affection in front of the waitress, she lifted her head with a smile at her mate and saw the disappointment flicker in the waitresses face. With a new found of possession over her mate she battered her eyelashes at her and asked if they could have some privacy making the waitress mumble an apology and take their order before leaving quickly. Emily chuckled quietly at her actions but knew she would've done the same, Emily lifted her eyes to meet Adam's who was already watching her with joy. Unable to hold back her happiness in the moment she smiled at him and she saw his life light up immediately. For once she wasn't worried about the future and she was just living in the moment.
"I need to see that smile more often", Adam said quietly leaning towards her. She smiled slightly not replying as she didn't want to give him hope, one day she would fall right in to the relationship but she needed to find her family and that was her top priority right now.
"One rule about this date - no talking about sad things", Cassie announced suddenly. Emily thought it was kind of obvious that no sad topics were allowed to come up but she was glad it was clear now if it wasn't already. She just wanted to have some fun and relax for once whilst they had the chance.
"Of course, firecracker", Leo replies holding onto her hand like she was his life support.
"So, we haven't heard how to you two became friends. I'm sure that's an interesting story", Cassie says glancing at the mischievous Adam who chuckled darkly.
"Well it's a fascinating story", Adam says putting his arms on the back of the seat cockily whilst Leo groans in annoyance.
"It really isn't that fascinating", he grumbles folding his arms angrily making the girls chuckle.
"So I was in a pack when I was really little that eventually separated and people started joined other packs, it was so long ago I don't even remember the name but my family had joined Leo's fathers pack and I didn't know anyone by this point, I was trying to make my way as the funny kid that everyone loved - obviously - so I decided to prank this annoying stuck up kid that would look down at everyone at training", he said laughing already at Leo who was glaring at him with a look that would kill.
"So I decided to switch part of his lunch with something a bit more.... tasteful", he said bursting into laughter.
"He took my yogurt and changed it with toothpaste!", Leo yelled making people look at the group with odd looks. The girls burst into laughter as Adam starts crying in hysterical laughter, Leo just threw his hands up in the air in exasperation but they could tell he found it funny due to his smile on his face that he was trying to hide. After the creative story, it wasn't long until their food arrived and they couldn't hold back the laughter making the waitress glare it them in irritation. Even though people got annoyed at their constant laughter, the group hadn't felt so care free in weeks. Finally, they felt like they were able to do something their own age without having to worry about murders, kidnappings or torture. Instead, they filled the night with smiles, laughter, love and joy. Emotions they hadn't felt in so long they forgot they existed.

~

Please vote and comment as it's very motivating for me! Let me know what you think and please follow my profile for notified updates 🥰

~