Chapter 7

It had been nearly a day. A day since they left with no sign of them. Initially Cassie and Adam waited out on the porch for them to come back but when the next night started to come they moved inside, they started to panic, what if they had been caught? What if something happened to Zach.... or Leo? Adam was trying his best but she could see the worry flickering in his eyes when he spoke of them. Everybody was becoming worried as the hours dragged on.
"Why aren't they back yet? They shouldn't be taking this long!", Cassie ranted, "What if they're seriously hurt and are stuck somewhere? We should go look for them!".
Adam sat lying on his back on the floor, she thought it was him giving up but he persisted it was his *optimum thinking* position. Weird wolf.
"As much as I want to that's a very bad idea", he sighs.
Cassie rolls her eyes, "Got any better suggestions?".
He sits up and she notices the tiredness under his eyes, "Look I want nothing more than to get my two childhood friends and help them in danger but running after them blindly into enemy territory is a stupid idea and you know that". She knew he was right but she wasn't going to vocalise it, his ego was big enough.
"So what can we do?".
"Wait".

~

She was beginning to lose her temper. Or her sanity as she couldn't really tell at this point. Even though she was petrified for Zach... her heart ached for Leo, although they had a few awkward encounters she knew he was trying to get her to like him or at least open up to him. He seemed like a good guy and he obviously cared but he did have a temper. Although Cassie hadn't seen his bad temper since she first arrived with them so maybe she was having a good impact on him? She didn't know, he was confusing as heck and she wasn't good at this stuff.
Suddenly there was a commotion out in the hallway and Sam burst through the door, "My warriors have spotted lights coming through the edge of the territory, they're moving fast and will be here soon".
"Please get the pack doctor and any other healers you have, who knows what state they might be in", Adam requested.
"Good idea, prepare yourselves just in case", Sam said before leaving.
Cassie took his words into consideration but she had been preparing for this since he told her where Zach was, he could be dead for all she knew but she didn't want to imagine her life without him so she pushed the thought aside. Adam and Cassie waited impatiently for the boys to come back but all they saw was darkness amongst the trees, Sam arrived back with the pack doctor and his two apprentices just in case and they all waited together at the front of the house. "Cassie?", Adam asked quietly.
She turned to look at him, "Do you think they'll be okay?", he said worriedly.
She paused choosing her words carefully, "They might not be, but at least they'll be safe and we can take care of them", she wasn't going to lie to him but she wanted to make him feel better, his small smile showed her that her words were what he needed to hear. As the thought left her mind her ears picked up on the sound of screeching tyres and engines and they were going fast. Very fast. Something was wrong. She moved closer to the front and looked down the road to see the cars, they were caked in mud - and blood. She felt her face pale as they rushed out of the cars and she saw Orion, his face said it all. He had no shirt and his remaining clothes were shredded and covered in blood, both his and his kills. Justin and Charlie hopped out the other cars looking the same as Orion, she noticed immediately who was missing.
"Orion where's Leo? Where's Zach?", her voice etched with panic.
He grimaced, "Zach is in the back, Justin and Charlie are helping Leo in the other car".
She was torn on who to go to, her mate or her brother? She had waited days to see Zach but she had an unexplainable connection to Leo making her need to be by his side too. "As much as I hate to say it.... our mate is strong, he can be without us momentarily, Zach needs us", Tala sighed. Cassie nodded and took a deep breath making her way around the car but nothing prepared her for the sight of Zach, he was lying on his front, hardly breathing but she knew he was as he had a noticeable high pitched wheeze as he struggled to breathe, his back was laced with whip slashes from his torture and his wrists had black burn marks meaning he had been chained by silver. His dark blonde hair was matted with his own blood and looked black. Tears fell down her face as she crawled into the back next to her brother, "Zachary? Can you hear me?", she whispered next to his ear afraid of frightening him. He didn't move, he laid there wheezing and only moving when his muscles spasmed unconsciously from the pain he was enduring. "Cassandra, I think it's best we take him to our pack doctor now", Sam said quietly from the boot of the car. She gently nodded but clasped onto his hand with hers refusing to let go. The men made sure they were extra gentle as they lifted him out of the car, they had placed him on a thick slab of wood so he wasn't moved around to ease his pain. Cassie walked up the stairs and heard some slight commotion behind her, she turned and saw her mate being hauled from the back of the car and into the safe hands of the pack doctors' apprentices, he noticeably had some sort of stab wounds to his shoulder and stomach but judging from the angry tone she could hear, he was definitely awake. Her heart strings pulled and Tala whines internally as she walked further away from him into the hospital of the Moonlight pack but knew he would be okay without her.

~

It had been a few hours since the boys had returned from their mission, Cassie had stayed with Zach the entire time, the pack doctor was doing everything he could for Zach but they knew it would be a long healing process for him, she was currently putting a cold cloth on his head and changing it for a new one every hour or so to help him with his fever, the doc said he had an infection from the whipping, hearing this made her blood boil and made her want to kill the bastards even more, they had already taken everything from her and she refused to let them take Zach too. The doc said he won't be waking up for quite a while but she didn't want to leave him. Not when she just got him back but she knew she had to go see Leo, she needed to thank him for keeping his promise. Cassie gave Zach a light kiss on his temple before leaving to find Leo, Adam had been coming in every now and again to give her updates and he said Leo was patched up and resting in their room they had been staying in. She headed up to the place where she started to trust him and they formed a bond - of sorts. The closer she got the quieter the house was, they obviously left him alone to sleep, she debated whether it was a good idea to go in or not. She stood outside the door, hand wavering in uncertainty, "Are you just going to stand outside like some pervert or are you going to come in?", he said abruptly. Cassie walked in with an eyebrow raised and her arms crossed to see a half naked, shocked Leo, "Cassie? Sorry, I thought you were Adam", he said sheepishly. She just rolled her eyes, "How are you feeling?".
He sighed, "Sore and a little grumpy but other than that I'm okay... how's Zach?".
She frowned and sat at the end of the bed, "He has an infection from the whips, a fever because of the infection, 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung which caused his bad breathing and then the obvious burn marks from the silver they held him in".
He grimaced and looked down, "He wasn't awake when I found him, I'm assuming he hasn't woken up since?".
She shook her head, "It might take a while but he should improve with his antibiotics and time, we also might be able to move him back to your pack, if you'll have us?".
Leo's head shot up, "Of course, I'm not letting either of you out of my sight".
She smiled warmly, "Thank you.... for keeping for your promise".
He smiled back, "I'm glad I finally managed to gain your trust".
She cringed, "Started - *started* to gain my trust, Leo River".
He just chuckled knowing she wasn't going to be having any of his attitude tonight.
"We need to talk about what happened"., she said solemnly after a brief pause.
"No we don't, I didn't take you with us for a reason, it'll upset you and I don't want that.
"I don't care, I need to know Leo.", she said annoyed, "I need to know who did this to me and my family".

~

Hellloooo my chickens. Here's an update for you all! Please vote, comment and follow to get notified for updates.

~