I don't need your protection.

Thank you for already 400 readers. It means a lot! ❤️
___________________________

"Mags!" Celine called, but I didn't respond. I was still staring at the point where Alexander was standing some seconds ago. I couldn't believe it all. It felt like a dream. A nightmare. "Magnus, what the hell is going on with you?" she screamed at me. Now I woke up from my trance and looked at her. She looked at me angrily. Very angry. Shit, what did I do?

"I-I don't know..." I said softly. How should I explain that? I couldn't have shot him. He wouldn't have done it either. I can't betray him, can I?

"Why didn't you do anything ?! We almost had him!" she said aloud. I sighed and hurriedly put my gun away. I started to run. "Where are you going to?" she asked.

"I'm running after him. I'll find him." I called before turning in the direction Alec ran. I very much hoped to find him, but not to arrest him. I don't think I could. However, it would also cost me my job. What a dumb situation.

Maybe it was all a huge misunderstanding. Maybe he wasn't the criminal we were looking for. Although, Alec actually had black hair and often wore black hoodies. Oh man, that can't be true.

I ran for a while and I was afraid I'd lost him until I saw someone walking across the street. At least he looked like Alexander from behind. I slowly crept up because if I ran towards him, he would probably run away. I just had to talk to him.

It didn't make sense to me. Why did he want to date me when he knew I was a cop? That would be far too risky, wouldn't it? Was I the reason why he stayed in this city for so long?

"Alexander." I said as soon as I was close enough to him. Startled, he turned and stared at me. He was about to turn around and run away but I grabbed his wrist. "Please! I just want to talk." I said. He stopped and looked at me rather arrogantly.

"How do I know you won't arrest me immediately?" he asked and I looked at him confused. Was he serious?

"Because I don't understand all of this." I answered. He rolled his eyes, grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a side street. Will he murder me now? He stopped next to a garbage can. He turned to me and crossed his arms.

"What do you want, Magnus?" he asked. He seemed so different. So cold. I never thought he could be like that. I always thought that he would never want to hurt me. What has changed?

"I want to know why! Why did you just run away and never called back? Why didn't you tell me anything about it?" I asked angrily. It hurt somehow, even though I was happy to see him. Just not under these circumstances.

"Well, it's not wise to tell your date, which is also a cop, that you're a criminal." he said. He was right there, but I still felt betrayed.

"You knew I was a cop. Then why did you date me at all?" I asked. It didn't make any sense. I wanted it to all be a bad dream and I wake up in my bed next to him without him being a criminal.

"I didn't know it at first! I just liked you and later I realized how risky it actually is. I knew I had to end it." he explained. I swallowed hard. Why do I always fall in love with the wrong ones?

"You liked me? That means you don't do it anymore?" I asked. He sighed and rolled his eyes. It hurt somehow. Hurt bad.

"Magnus, stop it." he said and I felt this lump in my throat. "It wasn't all planned that way." he said. He was right there. I hadn't planned it that way either.

"Listen, I can help you out of it. I-I can try to get them on the wrong track so nothing leads to you and you can come with me and start over!" I said but he shook his head. I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't help it. He meant a lot to me.

"I don't want that." he said. I looked at him confused. "I don't want to go a way with you or anything else. I want you to go back now and do whatever you want with what you know now, but leave me alone." he said coldly. My heart broke again. I felt this lump in my throat, which I swallowed hard to not cry.

"But.." I said softly. I did not know what to say. He obviously didn't want anything to do with me and I had to accept that. However, it hurt so much.

I heard something behind us and I turned around. It was a man who aimed a gun at us. Oh shit. What's that all about again? The next thing I saw was Alec, who grabbed me and pulled me aside so we were hidden behind the garbage can. I heard shots that were right next to us. Alec squeezed my hand tightly, but I pulled away to pull my gun out of my pocket.

"What are you doing?" he asked confused and annoyed at the same time. What does he think I'm doing? I am a cop, I know what to do. I leaned a little to the side and aimed my gun at him. I shot three times, then the man ran away. That was close.

"Are you crazy?!" Alexander asked me reproachfully and looked at me very angrily. I frowned. I just saved our lives, I didn't expect that.

"The guy is gone, it served its purpose. What's your problem?" I asked and he rubbed his hair nervously. I didn't understand.

"Do you know what you just did?" he asked. I saved his ass but I don't think he means that. "You just messed with a whole gang. Shit, man!" he got upset. Why was he so angry?

"Alexander, I deal with something like this every day. I think I can handle it." I said to calm him down, but it didn't seem to help much.

"No, Magnus, you've never dealt with people like that. You don't know what they're capable of. You could fucking die every minute!" he said angrily. I just looked at him silently. He screamed at me and I didn't like that. He kind of intimidated me.

"You don't care anyway." I said and he looked at me even more angrily. It was like that. He said that I should leave him alone.

"I can't let you go home now. You have to come with me." he said. I frowned. He didn't want that, why do I have to do it then? "We can offer you protection." he said.

"I don't need your protection." I replied and he even looked at me a little desperately. Wow, that confused me.

"Don't be like that and just come with me." he said. I didn't answer anything. I didn't know what to do myself. At some point he grabbed my wrist and dragged me with him. I think I have no choice.