5. Road trip to the future

Spring has finally come.

The air is still a bit cold. Trees begin to sprout new leaves. Animals have gone out from their lairs. Birds are chirping on the trees. Welcoming the spring.

Jimin halts walking when he sees a rusty gargantuan iron metal scrap. This transportation vehicle was mentioned in one of his books.

Snow has covered it up during winter time. He slips and falls down when he tries to get in.

"Easy there. What's the rush?" asks Jin.

He follows Jimin into the rusty vehicle. Jimin could be clumsy sometimes. Someone needs to watch over him.

RM is squatting. He is sun bathing. It's so easy for him to get reenergized. Just need more sunlight. As if he is a human version of solar panel.

They would leave their cave soon. Going  to continue their quest to the North.

Jimin checks the engine. Not too rusty. Oil might smoothens everything. He checks the coal compartment. It's filled up. A bit damp but useable. Might need to let them dry in the sun for a day or two.

"What are you doing?" asks Jin.

"We could use this to travel to the North. It would save tremendous times."

Jin looks around him. The interior looks pretty damaged.

He asks, "Is it safe?"

"I could fix the engine. Just need RM to put this locomotive back on it's rails again."

"I'm on it!" yells RM from outside the locomotive.

Suddenly the locomotive got lifted. Jimin and Jin fall down to the rusty iron floor. Finally the locomotive is on the rails again.

"Hey! You should have waited for us to get out!" scolds Jin.

"Sorry..."

RM smiles too widely. He doesn't look sorry at all.

Jimin asks, "Could you take all the coals out? Let they dry in the sun for few days. I will fix the engine."

"Sure," says Jin.

Jimin takes a peek out and talks to RM, "Go and find two train cars with less damages. We could use them to rest during the travel."

"I'm on it. Why two? Not four?" asks RM.

"More train cars would use up too much coals."

"Okay. Don't really get it. I'll do as you say."

Jin praises, "I'm glad you are coming with us. We won't know what to do without you."

"Even when I got extra baggage?"

"Kai would kill you if she heard it."

Jimin rolls his eyes.

He says, "My little sister has been hurt too much. She could no longer trust others. Well, except me."

"What? She's younger than you. Always thought she's older than you."

"Can't help it. I'm born with this cute baby face."

Jin laughs a little.

Jimin taps his shoulders.

He comments, "It's important to share your burden. If you hide your tears away, people would think you're strong. They would never see how broken you got."

Jimin doesn't wait for his reply. He kneels down and kept his focus on the engine.

Jin uses a large sack to store the damp coal. He would let them dry in the sun. People often used coals for furnace in the wintertime.

RM is lifting the train cars back to the rails. It's like a child play for him.

"Show off!" yells Jin.

RM only grins. He continues his task. Joining the train cars together with the locomotive.

"I'm done!" reports him.

Jin asks, "Do you need more help? If not, I will take him to hunt for food. We could always use extra foods."

"No. I'm good here. Go on."

"Okay. Let's go, RM."

*****

Jin lets his head out of the window. The air feels freezing. The train is moving faster than any horse he has ever ridden.

Jimin said it's the lowest speed.

Kai scolds, "Hey! Watch it! You could lost your head!"

Jin pulls his head back in again. He smiles to her but she looks another way. Kaila is a girl with sharp tongue. But she isn't exactly evil. She just got this big attitude. I'm fine. I need no one.

Jimin is in the locomotive section with V. They seem to get along really well. Sometimes they just chat about everything as if they have known each others for years.

He is teaching V to be a train engineer right now. So they could take turns in navigating it.

Aimee is staring out the window when Jin sits next to her.

She says sadly, "I wished Mom could go with us."

"She will watch over us from heaven."

Aimee begins to sob. Jin gives her a good hug. His gaze meets with Kai. She shakes her head.

Jin stares RM. His friend is dozing off. He must be tired. He has worked all day long.

Aimee has fallen asleep on her seat. Jin covers her with a blanket. He goes out through the back door. He is just standing there. Feeling the cold wind brushes his face.

Suddenly he hears, "Stop spoiling her. She would never be independent if all of you treated her like a child."

Jin asks, "She just lost her home. Her mom. Is it wrong?"

"It's wrong! In the end, all of you could have left or dead. She would have no one. Just herself."

Jin puts his hand against the wall, trapping her.

He tilts his head when he asks, "Did it happen to you?"

She looks away.

"Wow! Did I interrupt something?" asks RM.

Kai pushes Jin away and she enters the train car again.

RM asks, "You won't tell me anything?"

"What?"

"Are you two dating?" asks RM.

Jin holds his head with his hands.

He yells, "Are you crazy? She hates me to the bones! I don't even know why!"

"I do."

Jin stares RM.

His friend is staring to the horizon when he replies, "You cared for others too much. You dared to get hurt when you lost them. She called it foolish. I named it true bravery."

RM stares Jin.

He asks, "Are you crying?"

"No. Just dust in my eyes."

Kai hears bits of their conversation from the half open door.

That isn't bravery. It's stupid. Sooner or later, you would be left alone. I'm always alone. I won't get hurt anymore.

She feels someone is staring her. Her gaze meets with the little girl.

Aimee warns, "Jin is mine. I will marry him when I have grown up."

"Not my type."

"Good. I only want him."

-------------------------------------------

Please vote and comment :)

Travelling using train. A vehicle from the past.