22. The cure

"How much further?" asks RM.

They have barely started. The monsters just kept roaming to them like worst nightmares. From vicious wolves to hungry bears.

V touches the ground. He closes his eyes. Then he shakes his head.

Aimee stares worriedly to him.

Jin holds her hand and he squeezes it gently. His girlfriend smiles weakly to him. It's her decision to join them. She couldn't go back now.

Jin explains, "Not much further. The lab is on an island."

He looks around.

He comments, "Strange. The engineers should have been here by now."

Two raiders are galloping toward them at full speed. Finally they arrive.

RM only complaints, "You again."

Jimin smirks when he asks, "You miss me that much?"

The other engineer is a pretty woman. Jin couldn't look away from her. Not until Aimee pinches him.

The engineer introduces, "I'm Irene Troye. The leader's little sister. I hope we get along well."

Jimin looks around him. There is no building around them. Just vast Rocky barren land.

He asks, "Are you sure it's here, Irene?"

She is his co-worker. Right now they are starting a huge project to make solar panel based generator.

Irene points to an island not too faraway.

"It's beneath Sokotra Island," says her.

RM asks, "What do you mean beneath?"

"Do you mean it's underwater?"

Suga's question seems to shocked everyone else.

RM complaints, "Why they have to built everything beneath water? It's just annoying."

Irene shrugs her shoulders.

She says, "The lab might have been breached. That's why the engineers are here. To keep the water out from the lab."

Jin says nothing. He just keeps staring her as if mesmerized. Another pinch to his ear from Aimee.

"Ouch! Why?" asks him.

Aimee says sourly, "I'm going to find you eye goggles used by a horse."

"Huh? Why? I don't need it..."

Aimee grabs his hand and leads him further away from the pretty engineer.

Kai asks, "Are we going there by a boat?"

"No. We could cross when tide out. It should be two hours from now," says Irene.

They have to wait so it's decided to have early lunch. During lunchtime, Jin still couldn't look away from Irene.

Aimee is sulking.

After eaten his meal, Jin finally walks toward Irene.

He asks bluntly, "Are you the leader?"

"I'm her little sister."

"Don't lie to me. You have three moles on your face and neck. All of them are identical."

Irene scoffs.

Jin adds, "Don't deny it. You always said you hate liars."

Finally she confesses, "Yes. I'm the leader. If I didn't get back by the day after tomorrow, the troops shall be deployed to kill you all. So you better keep me alive."