Ray of Light

And we venture into the unknown. Let's see where this path leads us.

Song Name: Head Above Water
Singer Name: Avril Lavigne

Without further ado here is another chapter of LOVE WILL CONQUER!

HAPPY READING!
*********

Chapter No.9

Archer's POV:

Evelyn is the first-ever girl I've met who is this honest and in a way innocent. She doesn't use curse words because according to her they leave a bad taste in her mouth. The only reason she ignored her health was that she had promised my daughter... The way I treated since our first meeting she should've done the exact opposite but she did the vice versa.

On taking her to Aunt Scarlett, I found out that she has a fever due to extreme fatigue. Aunt was surprised how was she sitting in front of her without falling asleep. Evelyn responded it was totally normal for her. The hell with normal. This is called idiocy! Is she trying to kill herself?! Then on our way back she forgave my rudeness like it was no issue. I looked at her in awe and surprise. Her explanation made sense but only a few would actually apply in this world of self-centered bastards.

"Evelyn, why did you enter the business world in such a small age?" I ask turning my head towards her I see she's already passed out.

Looks like the medicines Aunt prescribed are now reacting. We reached hers a bit later due to traffic. Her mom was literally horrified to see her daughter unconscious at least the way she saw it. I explained the situation and she looked relieved and sad. Asking for permission I go to her room, but it doesn't have a home vibe to it... I don't know why but pulling the comforter on her I kissed her forehead.

Coming downstairs I saw her mother in the lounge, "I'll be taking my leave now, ma'am."

"Oh, you're back. Please you did so much for us I can't let you leave. Please stay for tea or coffee." Mrs. Colton says.

I want to say no but seeing her sincerity I give in. She leaves to make coffee. I sit down on the couch I look around to notice there are many photographs of Mrs. Colton and little boy but no pictures whatsoever of Evelyn... That's odd, "Her you are, Archer."

I come out of the reverie of thoughts and take the cup of coffee, "I know you were observing the pictures. The one in the pictures is my son, Cameron Colton. He's not here because he went to his friend's house to play. You must have questions. I'm more than willing to answer."

I look at her, I think she misunderstood me as to being close to Evelyn, "I know you're a business associate. Evelyn tells me everything related to business... But I want to answer your questions because Evelyn has never let her guard fall to the point of sleeping in the car of a guy she just met. Unconsciously, she must trust you. And I unquestionably trust her instincts."

I nod slowly, "Is Evelyn your own daughter? I'm sorry if that sounded rude it's just that there's no picture of you and her in this room."

She smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes, "Yes she is. I don't have any pictures because till the time I came back to my senses my daughter had drifted far away from me. I can't close that rift even if I tried..."

"What do you mean by came back to your senses?" I ask.

"Exactly what I meant. When I was pregnant with my second child, Cameron, my case was very complicated. Doctors weren't hopeful about a successful delivery... At that time many things happened all at once. My husband was killed in front of his daughter by the man he trusted his life with... My daughter was threatened to keep quiet or else she'll witness another murder. I found out nonetheless, and it took a toll on me. Cameron was born prematurely. But my health deteriorated day by day... We had lost everything... In those days my daughter became self-sufficient. She didn't succumb to nothing instead..." Tears formed in her eyes wiping them away she continued, "She started working when she was only 10. She didn't have much to offer, after all, she was only 10. But her baking skills were exceptional. The landlady offered her work in her shop at a reasonable wage. In a matter of months, she gained exposure and many people started to come there. But with fame came trouble, and the people who wanted to buy off the shop of the Landlady thought that Evelyn was a thorn in their way."

"T-They kidnapped her... But as fate would have it, someone, in particular, was very impressed with skills and wanted to offer her more. He knew something wasn't right so followed only to find they planned on selling her... It was none other than Bernard Alonso. He saved her that day... And since then she's always been indebted to him even though, he has wanted nothing more than to see her flourish... He was the one who paid for all of the medication fees. But since I was in a coma for 6 months, 3 months after giving birth to Cameron, Evelyn even became a mother figure to her own brother. She never once complained... I always wish that she at least once hold me accountable for all the suffering she's been through. But no, my daughter is too selfless to let such a thought even occur to her..."

Listening to Mrs. Colton I'm completely dumbfounded... If I thought my Mom has been through a lot it's nothing in comparison to what Evelyn's been through... I now really regret saying she must have an ulterior motive... Forget that she could never think of such underhanded methods. I really am a fool. I did the one thing Mom told me never to; not to judge a book by its cover.

"W-Why did you tell me, Mrs. Colton? You know that I'm a only business partner, nothing less, nothing more." I finally gain the courage to ask.

"Because  Archer, I know you have wounds but Evelyn can heel them with just her words... But what about her? I see something in you I don't see in others. You care. Even if you try to show you don't. My daughter needs someone who's willing to befriend her regardless of her scars... And what I've told you is just a gist. The entire version will only be told by her when she feels ready... She may seem strong, but she's furthest from it. So even if you don't befriend at least in the terms of business please be willing. It may seem selfish of me to ask you of this but as a mother, I worry about her. And look where her constant working habits have led her. So please, for my sake please let her do her work." The plead in Mrs. Colton's voice is obvious.

We Theodores have been known to be ruthless in the business world, "I'll try. But no guarantee, ma'am, we have been known for being strict, so I apologize."

She shakes her head, "I wouldn't expect anything less from the Theodore family." Smiling at the end.

Reaching home it seems almost dull because Charlotte went to her favorite aunt's home, meaning Christy King, daughter of Uncle Brian and Aunt Lillian.

Mom notices my mood change but doesn't confront me until we're not alone in my room, "What's the matter, Archer? You seem to be in deep thought."

I sigh, "It's just that today I dropped of Evelyn at her home I learned somethings about her which made me question just what the hell has she been through, that her health is the least of her concerns?"

Mom looks at me patiently for me explain and I do Mom only looks horrified at the end, "And she said this is only the gist of it?"

I nod, "Oh Lord, now I understand why doesn't want to Dawny mom as grandma... It makes sense a lot... And if anything she was right as well saying Evelyn has a lot on her plate. Even I have never faced such a situation... It makes me wonder... Just how much burden is she carrying...? Sooner or later she'll break down. And it won't be good. I don't want her to face the same thing I did... When I was her age. She may not admit it but she has serious depression issues... Archer, can you take me to Mrs. Colton's house tomorrow? Or wait, let her recover first and we'll visit in a week. Evelyn needs to learn the meaning of relying on others. The reason Mrs. Colton confided in you is because she's completely helpless right now. And I understand her feelings as a mother. When you broke up with Xia you completely shut us all out. If it weren't for Charlotte you might be still the same." Mom sniffles at the end.

I hug her petite body to me and stay silent what she said is true... Charlotte is really a ray of light in my life. Without her, I can't even imagine my life right now.