XXIV • NO QUARTER

twenty-four | pas de quartier

Woods

A young dark-haired male prisoner, who seems to be in his early thirties, is running away, as quick as his feet could go, from an extremely dangerous situation through the wild forest, past the many tall trees and overgrown plants, expressions of fear and terror plastered on his face as he does so, when an extremely familiar masculine voice called out to be his predator.

"I admit, I do like a good chase." Kol Mikaelson, in a cream-coloured T-shirt which is stained with dry blood, suddenly shows up before his human prey right after the young prisoner tries to hide himself behind a tall, large tree, "However, I am quite famished so." Once he vamps out, he lunges forward and viciously feeds on the prisoner, who emits a loud scream of pure agony.

Meanwhile, a bunch of lifeless bodies-- of the rest of the prisoners lay on the ground somewhere by the derelict road ahead, in which a large bus once containing them is left abandoned on the side of the road. Elijah Mikaelson is seated on the ground too and has a corpse of a prison guard on his lap.

"Good lord, that one has some lungs on him. He should've been an opera singer. Might've ended better for him, actually." Rebekah commented.

A genuinely tired sigh leaves Freya, "Is this absolutely necessary?"

She earns a look from Rebekah Mikaelson herself, "That depends. Do you want us at our full strength, or do you plan on rescuing Nik on your own?"

"Well, death rattles are distracting, and I'm trying to break a cloaking spell." In order to search for Klaus, even though Sebastian, Gia, and Victoria, now being their reliable, trustworthy companions, remain in New Orleans.

Elijah, burning with annoyance by the loud, agonizing scream of his brother's unfortunate victim, finally yelled, "Kol, would you please?!"

The distinct sound of a broken neck is heard as the loud scream stops.

"Thank you." Elijah, who earns a cute smile from his own sweetheart, dabs at his freshly blood-stained lips with a handkerchief, "You were saying?"

"I can sense. Klaus is still in New Orleans. Most likely somewhere underground. I can't get a read on exactly where, unless I'm in the city itself." Freya Mikaelson watches with a look as her youngest brother comes back from his greedy feeding as he joins them once more, "Monique?"

"Well, Sebastian's still there. He knows exactly where Nik is. The problem is, as you can imagine, the place is crawling with vampires, all of whom hate all of us. Hence whatever we do, we need to do it fast." Monique nods a little, undeniably determined to search for Klaus in order to rescue him, wherever he is over there; she has missed him long enough for five years being apart.

She would murder Marcel Gerard, if they could, if she has to to get to Klaus.

"Well, I wasn't planning on a pub crawl. I don't want to stay any longer than we have to. But we need to go." The eldest Mikaelson sibling announced, equally determined to come back to where they all left off — New Orleans. They can't seem to go anywhere without Klaus. They can't leave him alone.

Kol spoke up once more, "Whoa. Wait...Wait, we're not doing this today?"

He earns a serious look from Monique, "Hasn't Nik suffered enough?"

"Yes. And I've died. Twice. I'm not about to give Marcel a shot at a third. Now, I say, we draw that Muppet out of town. And when he's gone..."

"I have been away from my daughter long enough. If you're afraid--"