XXV • HAUNTER OF RUINS

twenty-five | chasseur de ruines

Monique Deveraux's Safe House

All Freya, Monique, Elijah, Klaus, Kol, and Rebekah are on the main porch, in which both Monique and Elijah are seated comfortably in their own chairs, with the much older latter reading from an old newspaper in his hands to catch up on what they have missed over the previous five years. Both Original sisters are standing together, leaning against the railing while Klaus is staring ahead at the garden in the main yard, wondering in silence, as Kol is pacing back and forth. A compelled blonde young woman hands both he and Rebekah a glass of fresh mimosa, which they gratefully smile at.

"I can't believe you're all finally going to see her, after all these years." Now that she has already grown into a beautiful little girl; Monique chuckles, genuinely delighted for all of the Originals to finally meet Hope Mikaelson.

"Yeah, well, what's the holdup? Alright, we rescued Nik, we escaped mortal danger. Why are we not on a private jet to Saint-Tropez?" Kol snatches the newspaper from his brother's hands as he remains seated, which earns him a look from the golden brunette, "You can catch up on the last five years when we're on our way-- I can assure you, you haven't missed much." From the previous five years where they left off then, being that it was 2014.

"Circumstances have changed. We will leave here soon enough." Elijah declared as he avoids his own lover's gaze, who's delighted, on purpose, knowing well enough that she seems to be too comfortable residing here. Although now that they have come back, it's time for him to finally take her away, no? With him, to spend their lives and freedom together once more.

"Already? Can't we just stay for one day? One day of peace." Monique requested as she looks at her own lover in disbelief that he would want to go already; once he encountered his seven-year-old niece, then he would immediately go, is that it? Much like what Kol is trying to persuade them all to. Find freedom and happiness on their own. Therefore, do they finally leave Klaus with Hayley and Hope now that they're a peaceful family? In fact, this is what they objectively want — Hope with both of her parents.

Although doesn't Hope require the rest of her family as well, despite Monique being not even a Mikaelson in the very first place? Not only Klaus and Hayley, her own parents, though also the rest of her aunts and uncles. The seven-year-old girl actually deserves at least one day with her entire family. A whole day of peace, which Monique is trying to persuade them all.

"She's right. We have our niece to consider." Rebekah gently pointed out, especially to Kol, who seems undeniably impatient at this moment to go; Hope is only an odd seven, therefore she requires her entire family with her. They can't repeat the mistake of abandoning the people they love. Their own niece deserves something better than what they had, Hayley was right. Hopefully, no more lies, abandonments, betrayals, abuse, resentment...

A genuinely tired sigh leaves the eldest Mikaelson, "Kol has a point. We need to put an ocean between us and Marcel Gerard as soon as possible." Especially considering now that he already knows they've come back to life.

"It's not like he's coming after us." Monique argued in their own defense, considering the beast himself did say that they should never come back. As long as they stay away from him, then perhaps that should be enough.

Klaus spoke up, siding with the young vampire, "We're not going anywhere today. I want one day of peace with my daughter before we uproot her." To say that he really misses his own child would be a huge understatement. It's been five years, he was tortured and tormented, and all he could think about was her, and even her mother. Both Hope and Hayley are his life, in which one cannot go on without the other. Hope requires both her parents. Although he does feel nervous to encounter her for the very first time now that she's old enough to think about him. What does she think of him now? A long lost father who has finally come home from war? Or someone else?