XXXIX • BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA

thirty-nine | entre le diable et la mer d'un bleu profond

French Quarter

Vincent Griffith shakes his head a little as he's being grimly interrogated by a pair of vampire/werewolf hybrids, "So, what exactly are you implying?"

Hayley Kenner remains missing and nowhere to be found. How utterly unbelievable that this all began with Hope knocking her out with magic and using the sire bond she had with Henry to keep the woman in a coffin, under a self-made sleeping spell, in the storage room of the St. Anne's church just because she desired something entirely significant to bring her father home after seven years straight of being apart. She had to grow up without him. Although at least she enrolled in the Salvatore Boarding school since then under the name of Hope Kenner to remain undetected for her reputation. Who knows what they'll do if either of them find out that she's a Mikaelson?

"Add it up. Hope hid her mom with a cloaking spell just for the sake of seeing her dad again, after seven years apart, who could blame her?" Victoria surmised, to which the former Regent nods in well-understanding, remaining in great sympathy and understanding with the lonely teenager.

Hope apparently grew up without a father, considering Klaus cannot go anywhere near her concerning the extremely powerful spirit residing in him. Despite how she never knew her mother's husband, who was technically her step-father, at times she would even wonder what it would have felt like to have him as one. To actually have a father in her life. If only Jackson remained alive. If only he wasn't caught in the crossfire when she was only two years old. She has only seen pictures and journal entries about him, and she actually knows how much her mother truly loved him with all her heart.

Klaus nods along, "Someone found Hayley. That requires a witch." A seemingly powerful one who managed to break through the cloaking spell.

"And considering we're in witch territory at the moment--"

"--So that means it was one of mine?" Vincent cuts her off, "I don't think so." He, and even his own people, would never have the intention to harm her.

"Hey, we never said that it was your witches. Even I would know that she's of no use to your people anyway." Victoria quickly snapped in defense.

"You witches always plead virtue, but if history's to be prologue, you're the most rotten of the bunch." Witches. Covens. A clearly disgusted Klaus spat.

"As soon as Freya told me that Hayley had gone missing, there were a dozen of us witches out there on them streets performing locator spells, trying to find her. Because Hayley is actually a friend to us, okay? Hayley, unlike you, has earned our respect. And out of respect to her, I'm only going to say this to you one time, Klaus: we had absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance. I promise you that." Vincent informed him in a grim manner.

"Well then, you can't just give up. This is a kid's mother we're talking about. She needs her." Victoria demanded in defense of the Original's daughter.

"You think I don't know that?" Vincent snapped in his own people's defense, "I made you a promise. We're trying to do everything we can to find her."

"A witch's promise is as slippery as snake oil and as effective. You want peace and prosperity? Prove your innocence and find her." Klaus ordered.

❋❋❋

Bayou

"Why would the werewolves take down their own alpha?" Lisina argued in defense of her own people, considering they have nothing to do with this.